“wish I had stayed at the Sofitel Cairo El Gezirah.”

Novotel Cairo El Borg
Ranked #26 of 137 Hotels in Cairo
“wish I had stayed at the Sofitel Cairo El Gezirah.”
Reviewed 2 May 2013

Stayed in this hotel for 2 nights, wish I had stayed at the Sofitel Cairo El Gezirah.

This hotel is more 2/3 Star by international standards similar to a Travelodge or Premier Inn in the UK.

I emailed the hotel in advance with some questions regarding airport transfers & tour information. I received no reply to my email. It’s a shame as the hotel have a Tour Agency in reception. We used a private tour company called Rameses Tours for both Cairo and Luxor

Price wise it’s a pretty cheap hotel. Location wise it’s very central. Cabbies know about it and if you feel like walking both the Egyptian Museum and Tahir Square are within a comfortable distance. Just avoid all the hustlers on your way. Cab drivers regularly try to extort money, if you are traveling from the hotel take a blue & white taxi metered ideally and if it’s un-metered do not pay more than agreed.

The Novotel was a very noisy hotel. If you get a room facing the Nile you´ll "enjoy" the music blasting from the Nile cruises that go on well across midnight. Rooms facing the other way will be immersed in the nightly wedding ceremonies that also happen late in the restaurant below. The center of Cairo is a noisy place so nothing too unusual.

We complained about our bathroom shower, which was not working properly at reception however nothing was done about it. The hotel is a dry hotel - no alcohol is served.

• Stayed April 2013
1 Thank Ashish-198
NovotelCairo, Manager at Novotel Cairo El Borg, responded to this review, 21 February 2014
Dear Sir

Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your experience at the Novotel Cairo El Borg. I am sorry that your experience did not meet your expectations; please allow me to express my sincerest apologies.

serve you in the near future.

Abdellatif

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (110)
  • Arabic first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Rolle, Switzerland
Reviewed 1 May 2013

This Novotel is modern, clean, well situated BUT it should be made clear to guests booking that the hotel is DRY , i.e. does not serve alcohol - of course it is the hotels prerogative, however it really should be pointed out as after a long, hot working day in Cairo I like a cold beer or two in the comfort of my hotel. i have stayed at many 4 and 5 star hotels in Cairo and this has been the only dry one to date.
The room was great, spacious, very comfortable bed and clean and modern.
The wifi NOT free and expensive, in my opinion, and only covers one device. This just is not really acceptable these days.
There is a taxi rank outside the hotel with white and checkered metered taxis HOWEVER they refuse to go by the meter and insist on negotiating - there is one dedicated "negotiator" for all the drivers in the rank and he is someone intimidating. Stupidly I agreed 70 Egyptian pounds on a trip I knew should be much less but it was hot and being pressured. Next day I walked 50 meters and hailed such a cab - same journey was 9 Egyptian pounds.
On leaving i asked the hotel to book me a standard sedan and they quoted 207 Egyptian pounds. I rang an outside Airport Limo service and got a great, clean, air conned Nissan, prompt and courteous for 100 Egyptian pounds.
I do not mind paying a premium for convenient hotel car services but multiples like this just are not on.
Will not stay again because of the combination of these niggles.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Shaun321

Cambridge, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 April 2013

This hotel is very well situated, within easy walking distance of the museum, Cairo tower and right on the river. Plenty of restaurants and coffee shops nearby (to the North of the island).

The hotel didn't seem very busy but then Cairo seems to have very few tourists at the moment.

Room Tip: I had heard that the city side was quieter as the river can be quite busy, however I did get woken u...
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Angela P
Dear Sir

thank You for choosing Novotel Cairo El Borg , We look forward to welcoming you again at Novotel.

Stockholm, Sweden
Reviewed 23 April 2013

I stayed for four nights and decided on the Cairo el Borg ahead of the classic Hilton Ramses that´s located a fifteen minute walk away thanks to the good reviews and some friendly advice regarding the safety situation in Cairo from locals.

This Novotel is centrally located in an area that is a bit more calm (not saying much by Cairo standards) area than the bustling downtown across the bridge. I rate this a strong three star experience with some surprising flaws (see below). All in all an okay stay.

Price [It´s a pretty cheap hotel.]
Location. [Cabbies know about it and if you feel like walking both the Egyptian Museum and the Tahir Square is within a comfortable distance. Just avoid all the hustlers on your way.]

Not-to-clean. [It seems like everything carries a slight feel of being dirty in Egypt. I wouldn´t call the room plain dirty, but it wasn´t spotless either. This however as stated seems to be a general problem in Cairo]
Noisy. [If you get a room facing the Nile you´ll "enjoy" the music blasting from the Nile cruises that go on well across midnight. Rooms facing the other way will be immersed in the nightly wedding ceremonies that also happen late in the restaurant below. I personally don´t care as much as I was fascinated by both and see them as part of a bustling city, but know that others may not agree.]
Minor issues. [Heated pool turns out not to be heated at all. Hotel staff routinely advise you to take expensive cabs parked outside instead of regular cabs. Service in general very slow. Definitely not big issues and it comes with the territory so to speak.]

• Stayed April 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank FarewellFire
Dear Valued Guest

We appreciate your concerns, and it is our hope that you will give us the opportunity to better serve you in the near future

Sutton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 April 2013

Fab clean rooms, lovely pool and the restaurant I can remember had a mountain of food :) staff were friendly.

Close to airport and had an aeroplane restaurant near by which was lovely. Regular evening entertainment and a nightclub for the young ones.

We did have an issue once where the meat was raw and not cooked properly had a word with the staff and the manager apologised and very quickly bought us lots of treats to make up for the meat. Over all I would recommend so long as issues are resolved that's all that matters.....

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank Smellycat77
Dear Valued Guest

We very much appreciate your positive comments regarding your stay at the Novotel Cairo El Borg.

Positive feedback from satisfied clients is our greatest reward - thank you.

we look forward to welcoming you again at Novotel.

Zurich, Switzerland
Reviewed 15 April 2013

Good location, moderate prices. The bathroom shower was showing the effects of intense usage; the sofa could be cleaned from time to time. Metro station 200 m away makes discovering the city easier when traveling on a Budget. Breakfast very alright, including double expresso.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank guferman
NovotelCairo, General Manager at Novotel Cairo El Borg, responded to this review, 21 February 2014
Dear Sir

Positive feedback from satisfied clients is our greatest reward - thank you.

We look forward to welcoming you again at Novotel.

Luton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 April 2013

The hotel was really good I stayed with my family of 7 there for a week very clean rooms we booked 2 large family rooms we had no problems with the staff all staff spoke good English.
Ashraf the swimming pool life guard manager was really friendly and good the swimming pool was again really clean and nice it was a out door pool with heated pool.Good for money room service was a bit slow but had to call them few times to get our breakfast as they had few mistake other than that it was good.

Room Tip: get the room with nail view
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank MohammedH917
NovotelCairo, Manager at Novotel Cairo El Borg, responded to this review, 13 April 2013

First I would like to thank you for choosing Novotel Cairo El Borg

we very much appreciate your positive comments regarding your stay at the Novotel Cairo El Borg.

Please allow me to express my sincerest apologies regarding negative points.

At Novotel, we strive to provide a superior service experience for every customer,

Positive feedback from satisfied clients is our greatest reward.

We look forward to welcoming you again at Novotel

Abdellatif Gebril