“Cheap but very very cheerful!!”

African House Hotel
Ranked #58 of 139 Hotels in Cairo
Reviewed 15 October 2011

I regularly stay here just back after revolution same friendly staff and great value for money!!! Luv it!!!

• Stayed: October 2011
There are newer reviews for African House Hotel

Reviewed 4 July 2011

If you need something for a night or two this is the place. This hostel is situated really in the hear of Cairo close to Tahrir Square and Ramses. The price is very good between 10 to 20 usd per night. The rooms are big, but of course you don't expect to find more than average condition for a hostel. Breakfast is a continental one - coffee or tea, bread, jam. But the nice part is that can enjoy the big city, you can go by foot, by taxi, by metro and it is easy to go wherever you want in minutes not hours.

• Stayed: July 2011
1  Thank Candin
Reviewed 3 July 2011

Were there last week. Incredible service and great rooms. Location perfect within walking distance of both trainstation as downtown. Also provided trip was with incredible honest driver who's helping you with the bargains. We'll be back!

• Stayed: June 2011
1  Thank Gduuxueksls
Reviewed 13 November 2010

African hostel was one of hostels we stayed in cairo.We used 3 of them and the problem always was that people look at tourists as money on 2 legs!Always lies and pushing for tours and asking for tipping.Only in african hostel we got very good service wth a smile,we have never been asked for tours etc.They offer what they can do when you check in and after that they never ask you for anything.They refused the good tipping we left at reception(50 egy pounds) and they said that will be better to send our friends instead of money.We forget some small stuff(sunglasses and some books),they kept them for us and when we phoned them they have sent them for us to the airport(we had notime to go to the african hostel).These people are realy honest and reliable.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled with friends
1  Thank danakevin
Reviewed 14 July 2010

I have stayed here a number of times over the years and always got courteous service the guy on reception speaks very good English and is always helpful. Currently they charge 65ep (about UKP£7.83 a night bed & breakfast... Good value for money!!! breakfast is a bit basic but its a hostel... Rooms & bedding are clean & toilets/showers also OK and kept clean. U are Downtown easy walking distance from Ramses Railway Station & Museum etc etc... Its not Four Seasons Nile Plaza (Friends stay there!) but is not 3000 ep a night vbg (I go there to eat as I do at most the 5 star hotels but refuse to pay silly prices for a bed!!)
Cairo Opera House is worth a trip to take in a Ballet, Opera or even a Classical concert... wonderful. Plus the Citadel Military Museum is a must as is the Coptic Area with the "Hanging Church" plus of course Giza (during Day Sound & light at night is waste of time & money) Saqqara of course with Step Pyramid and surrounding tombs... Memphis is OK to see Ramses statue but once u been there once is enough! I go back to Saqqara most trips I luv it!!! loads to see & wonder at

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled solo
Reviewed 19 June 2010

We have stayed here 3 nights was the best part in our tour.The staff here is so polite and friendly and they are not pushy to sell tours,not like other people in some other places where you have to buy the tour or they treat you like a nothing!
Our room was spacious and they have a lot of free services like internet wifi and pc also in the common room and free coffe and toilete papers and printing services and the people running this place are so flexible and you can make a lot of deals with them to get the best prices for everything.they offer also free luxury map of cairo which was so helpful for us,they give you also a lot of accurate tips about the people in the street and the sights you have to visit etc

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled with friends
Reviewed 20 March 2010

While reading this review, I want the reader to keep in mind that I have visited many countries (even developing ones) and stayed in Youth Hostel and Classy Hotels. So while you read this, don’t think to yourself ‘just another Westerner who’s used to luxury’. There are a lot of details here and I am including them since it’s important in making your decision.

I am going to give as fair and balanced a review as possible here.

I picked African House based on reviews from Hostel World and only 2 average reviews from Trip Advisor. First off, it should not be called a Hotel. This is a Youth Hostel - nothing more. My wife was wary of my selection – and with good reason - as we were soon to find out.

My wife and I are both in our 30s and had never been to Egypt before. We were aware that we were going to a developing country and we expected some ‘fun experiences’.

We were originally booked a ‘2 Bd – Ensuite’ here from March 9 to March 14. We had paid a 10% deposit via the web for our 5-night stay here.

I was in communication with the Hostel staff a week before our arrival and they were responsive via email and phone. I had arranged for them to send a car to pick us up at the airport. This worked out OK and the young guy who picked us up was polite, friendly and helpful.

After arriving at the African House, it was already about 10 pm and we were exhausted. The front desk was kind enough to let us get our bags into the room and change right away. I realized immediately that the room and bathroom was way too small. So I asked them to switch us to a ‘3 Bd – Ensuite’ – and they took care of that quickly too.

The problems started the first night and went all thru till we left. Below are the NEGATIVE points -

1) Getting hot water in the bathroom was very hard– both for the shower and sink. When the hot water did turn on (for a few moments), it was scalding hot – the kind that would burn your skin. Also, the hot water came in bursts and then the cold water would stop – so you’re guaranteed a nice BURN.

2) Shower pressure – Non existent. As if the lack of hot water was not enough, it was like taking a shower under a leaky faucet. Cairo is a very dusty/dirty city. So exploring the city on foot automatically means that you’ll get covered in dust from head to toe. At times it’s nice to come back and get clean under the shower. No such luck here.
Even the shared bathroom did not work well.

3) Sleep Quality was terrible. We were on the top floor and the traffic on this street would not stop all night long. Horns beeping, people yelling, alarms going off, music blaring. Now, some people will say ‘that’s just Cairo’, but I found out later that this is not the case.

4) Sleeping w/ Mosquitoes = No SLEEP. We got eaten alive here all night long. The next day we’re full of bumps and welts all over. Lucky for us we did not catch malaria or some other sickness. When we complained to the front desk, they offered us some bug spray. We tried this out – and it only got the skeeters agitated – and they tore us up again the next night. We got bitten all 3 nights we were there – it was awful

5) Bathroom Sink – Pipe broke and fell off. So now, any time you turn on the sink, the water drains onto the floor. Since it was a plastic pipe fitting, I tried to push it back into place. It worked for a few moments and then it collapsed again. I was done!

6) Wireless connection – Terrible. We could not get a connection most of the time...and when we did it was weak and would drop off. Since we use our computers for work (even while traveling), this was very disruptive. Also, the front desk kept changing the passwords on us (sometimes multiple times in a day) without letting us know – wasting even more of our time.

While all this may sound comedic – it can ruin a vacation. No sleep and bug bites means your body is worn down, your tired, likely to get sick and can’t enjoy your day at all.

By the end of day 3 (into our 5 night stay), we checked out of this hole and splurged on a nicer place. Our health was not worth this headache and we were not going to ruin our vacation.

The last thing that annoyed me was when we were settling our bill with the front desk, they did not apply the deposit to our bill – saying that it applied to the original 2 bedroom…and since we switched – we had forfeited it! I was too tired to get into it with the guy and wanted to leave.

On the positive side:

- Front Desk is reasonably helpful and responsive
- The tours they offer are competitively priced. We took the Pyramid tour and it was nice.

Overall, the negatives far outweigh the positives and I would NOT recommend this hotel to anyone – unless you want to go thru what we went thru. At this point, someone is going to say ‘This is a Hostel. What did you expect?’ Having stayed in Hostels before I have seen significant difference in qualities…and I think the main difference is the ‘pride of ownership’ of the proprietor and staff. In this case, I saw a lot of little things that could have been done to easily improve the quality of the rooms, the bathrooms, the hallways etc. Instead I saw the staff mostly lounging around, surfing the web and smoking.

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled on business