“Missing laundries every time I ask them to wash my Clothes”
Review of Sun Hotel

Sun Hotel
and 1 more site!
Sun Hotel
Ranked #38 of 126 Speciality Lodging in Cairo
Somewhere on the Earth
“Missing laundries every time I ask them to wash my Clothes”
Reviewed 1 February 2010

The hotel locates in front of the Sadat Metro station and near the world famous fastfood restaurants like KFC. The clerks are friendly and the breakfast - 2 breads, a cheese and jam in the small packages and a cup of tea is included. It's quite a good place to stay.
However, you might need to watch out for missing laundries. I asked them to wash my clothes twice and both time something was missing. First time was a pair of socks, and the second time was a T-shirt. They will ask one clothes for 1 Egyptian pound, so if you ask them to wash 9 items, it will cost 9 pounds. The clerk seem to keep track on the laundries on a notebook but they might do it after washing the clothes because they do not count it when the guest turned the clothes to them. First time my pair of socks was gone, I thought that might be not real problem because that was just a pair of socks and could be mistaken with others even though the bland logo on them. However, missing only one gray T-shirt is something ridicules to happen. I only have one gray T-shirt and there is no way it is missing from my room after I asked to wash all my T-shirts except one. If you stay in Sun Hotel, you better not ask them to wash your laundries or you might lose something even though you pay for washing them.
The hotel might say there is WIFI, but it is not working from the room. You have to use your laptop in either dining or sitting area. WIFI was not working for few weeks during January and I had to go to the Internet cafe to use my laptop.

• Stayed January 2010, travelled solo
4 Thank WonderingTourist

Families
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
  • Korean first
New York City, New York
Reviewed 4 January 2010

My friend and I came to Cairo not knowing anyone, and did not know who to trust with all the touts trying to hustle you.

We decided to stay at the Sun hotel because of the great reviews we read online, and they were right.

Its a great place to stay and meet fellow backpackers. The place is pretty basic but clean, price is very cheap and the staff is extremely friendly. It is also located centrally in downtown Cairo close to a lot of good restaurants, Egyptian Museum and Khan-El-Khalili.

The manager Hosam Ramy is a real guy. He is very friendly and honest. He planned our entire trip from Cairo to Baharia to Luxor to Aswan and Dahab. We decided to cancel the trip to Alexandria at the last moment, he was kind enough to give us a refund. We verified his rates with other people and in most cases we paid less or same as them.

Overall I have nothing but good things to say about Sun Hotel and Mr.Ramy. I wouldn't hesitate to stay there again. I especially recommend the Nile cruise and the western desert tour. Thanks to Hosam Ramy and his staff we had a great time in Egypt!!

• Stayed January 2010, travelled with friends
3 Thank Pankaj S
Washington D.C.
Reviewed 30 October 2009

My first time staying in a hostel and the Sun does not dissapoint, people there are very helpful, Hosam Ramy, the tour director helped me and my friends out a ton. He helped us with traveling to Cairo and when my friends had five days to kill he helped us get to Luxor and back for a very cheap price, almost all expenses included. The location of the Hostel is awesome as well, a five minute walk to the Egyptian museum and it is in the center of the city. My friends and I wanted to make sure to find a safe, secure, and inexpensive place with good people and the Sun Hotel fits all those categories.

• Stayed October 2009, travelled with friends
2 Thank Snitzengruben
Minnesota
Reviewed 5 September 2009

The trip was very good, I saw all I wanted of upper Egypt for a very reasonable price. The package included two nights of hotel stay and two nights on a very nice felucca ride on the Nile with full board. Train tickets are included in the price, and transport to Abu Simble, Philae Temple, the high dam, Luxor Temple, Karnak Temple, and the Valley of Kings and Queens, as well as Edfu and Kom Ombo. The only things not included are drinks and entrance fees to the sights. The group you are in is rather small, about ten people or so- which is nice.

Good value for all you see. Tour organized by Hosam Ramy in the Sun Hotel.

• Stayed September 2009
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank WanderingSol
Cairo, Egypt
Reviewed 24 August 2009

The staff is overwhelming friendly and interesting. I always felt that my needs were met and exceeded. I had interesting conversations with all the staff (because of their English, not my Arabic, which is non-existant). The hostel is cleaned regularly and is very secure in general (you can leave valuable items with the staff/behind the desk if you are in a dorm room, like I left my laptop). It's right in downtown, so it's convenient to get food or to walk along the Nile. Overall, a very comfortable and easy place to stay on my first trip to Cairo, and I will certainly return when I am in the area again. Also, they have almost more rooms than any other budget hotel in the area, so you're practically guaranteed a room, with or without reservations. It's the best deal for your money in terms of budget hostels/hotels.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled solo
2 Thank warriorvoyager
Esperance, Australia
Reviewed 24 July 2009

basically, you get what you pay for in this hostel. it is cheap, that's for sure. i was a single female traveller and i rate cairo as one of my favourite places to go and i think it's parlty to the service at the hostel. yes, the showers are lukewarm at best, the lift doesn't work between 8am and 3pm, it's doesn't have modern decore, the egyptian staff and hangers on will try and steal the remote and keep it on arabic channels, but it is so CHEAP! if you can tolerate these things, than this place is definately for you.
first day in cairo on my own; didn't know what to do. doesn't matter cos less than five mintues down the road is the Egyptian Museum - you only have to get to the other side of the road! it is so close to so many things: take the metro line 2 or 3 stops to coptic cairo; 10-15 pounds in a taxi to khan el khalali, take a longish walk across the river (that's the nile mind you!) to discover the best schwerma place in cairo. nearby is kfc (if you must) and a multitude of places to buy schwerma and koshuri (14 pounds sit down for a large koshuri and coke - 2 people), and a charming little tea house. ask the reception where the local bar; ladies take a man though, not a place for single girls.
even at the end of the second time i was there, the 'concierge' hailed a taxi and arranged the correct payment for the driver to take me to the airport. would definately stay there again if ever in cairo. was not luxurious, but an amazing experience!

• Stayed December 2008, travelled solo