Lowest prices for your stay
Hotels.com
London, United Kingdom
Great location, great owner
Review of Berlin Hotel
4.0 of 5 bubblesReviewed 11 Dec 2012
If in Cairo for a few days this hotel is perfect with no frills and cheap. Great location but high up so no noise, knowledgable owner who is always on the other end of a phone and great service. Guides organised through hotel are great, English speaking and help you avoid hassle.
Date of stay: September 2012Trip type: Travelled as a couple
9.0 miles from Berlin Hotel
    £132
0.6 miles from Berlin Hotel
View more hotels in Cairo
See what travellers are saying:
Selected filters
Reviewed 3 October 2012

I stayed at the Berlin Hotel for one week in Sept 2012.. I agree with the thrust of other reviewers. It is in a building shared with other companies and the ground floor is dark and can be off-putting. But don't be put off! Once up on the 4th floor (and the stairs are gentle!) it is bright, clean and very friendly. The bed was comfortable and the room spacious. The breakfast was good! I went to Giza, Saqqara and Darshur and Memphis with one of the drivers who work with the hotel: it was an excellent trip with a helpful and friendly driver and very good value. The driver does not guide you around the sites but there are plenty of people who will do that if you want. The hotel managers were efficient and friendly and concerned to be helpfu;. I did not find it too noisy - an advantage of the 4th floor - (but my hearing is not good).

Room tip: I think they all have balconies: If you are concerened about noise ask for a room away from the main road.
Date of stay: September 2012
7  Thank Andrew P
Reviewed 25 May 2012

I spent 3 nights there in May. The hotel is located very close to Tahrir square, therefore downtown sightseeings are easy to be reached by walk. The room was pretty large and it also contained a nice balcony. The manager and the staff are excellent in service and friendly, I was contacted prior arrival to ask if there is any service I need. The manager (Hisham) was really trying his best to make my stay as comfortable as possible. Overall I can highly recommend this place to anyone.

Date of stay: May 2012
9  Thank Zsolt226
Reviewed 15 May 2012

I stayed at Hotel Berlin for a week in March 2012 and do not hesitate to recommend the place. My room was basic but spacious, bathrooms clean, and - first of all - the owner and his staff honest and extremely helpful. Do not let the somewhat run-down entrance and staircase put you off. I was picked up at the airport and had the same reliable and friendly driver for a daytrip to the pyramids, the price for both was absolutely reasonable. - Anders Johansen, Denmarkj

Date of stay: March 2012
Trip type: Travelled solo
10  Thank Andersjohansen
Reviewed 8 November 2011

excellent value for money. good location. helpful staff. taxi trip to pyramids highly recommended. cons: cleanliness

Date of stay: December 2010
  • Trip type: Travelled with friends
6  Thank kacper x
Reviewed 1 October 2011

Hotel Berlin was perfect for my needs - I needed a cheap but comfortable place to stay for a few nights while I found an apartment somewhere in Cairo. While upscale Western tourists may find the place a little dingy, those with some experience in inexpensive Middle Eastern hotels will find it delightfully clean and quite friendly. I got a single room with air conditioning with breakfast included. The best part is the guiding philosophy of the hotel. The owner Hisham seems genuinely concerned that you enjoy your stay in the hotel and in Egypt and is not merely trying to squeeze money out of you. Other hotels would probably encourage you to visit their friend's perfume shop or whatever, but the staff of Hotel Berlin explicitly warns against such people. Upon arrival they gave me a glass of tea and explained to me how to avoid the various touts and cab scams that are prevalent in Cairo. While I have some experience in the area and didn't necessarily need to advice, it was quite refreshing to have it offered. I also repeatedly asked the staff for the fair cab rate for various routes and the obliged happily.

So, if you want an inexpensive, clean, and centrally located hotel in Downtown Cairo with quite possibly the best staff in the market, check out Hotel Berlin.

Date of stay: August 2011