Contact accommodation for availability.
There are similar hotels available.
jamerguk
London, United Kingdom

Friendly though not so clean and noisiest part of town - bring earplugs

Review of Berlin Hotel
3.0 of 5 bubblesReviewed 8 Feb 2011
To be fair to the owner, who is incredibly friendly and helpful, downtown Cairo is noisy no matter where you stay. It's a hectic bustling part of the city. It killed our sleep and left us shattered. We dreaded night time, even with earplugs. Downtown is fun to walk during the day but if you need sleep, unlucky.

The room was cheap (around $20 per night) but the hotel is rather shabby. The entrance is not pleasant, via a large crumbling building with a disused lift shaft that has more cobwebs that a horror film. It is dark and dirty.

The hotel itself is cleaner and the breakfast room and communal bathrooms in good condition. Our room though was old and it showed. It wasn't the cleanest and we were plagued by mosquitos and flies - bring a net.

So this place is fine if you have to stick to a tight budget but if you can afford to, move away from downtown and get greater peace.

thanks
james
Date of stay: December 2010
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
3.0 of 5 bubblesValue
    £63
6.0 miles from Berlin Hotel
Free parking
View more hotels in Cairo
See what travellers are saying:
Selected filters
Reviewed 22 November 2010

We called ahead to arrange 2 nights accommodation for 3 adults and 2 children, including a transfer from the domestic airport. Our flight arrived 10 minutes early, we waited until 20 to 30 mins after the expected arrival time and still no pickup. The assistance desk called the hotel on our behalf and informed us the transfer would arrive in one hour, it was middle of the night and young kids getting cranky. We arranged an alternative transfer to the hotel and were quite surprised at the state of the building and staircase, could have used a scrub ten years ago. We were shown to our rooms, the first, large 2 balconies, air cond, freshly painted, beds shaped like bananas, a shower (no toilet, odd choice) and many mosquitoes. The second was smaller and in a similar state but with older peeling/crumbling paint. I found the rooms very noisy and slept poorly.
Next morning we skipped the included breakfast (our loss) in search of somewhere we felt more comfortable. Our stay was only overnight (half really) and we were not allowed to leave until we paid for a full night (no problem) plus %20 of the second day due to canceling our second night. We were advised we were fortunate to not have to pay for the airport transfer, which did not arrive.
This is a budget hotel and i wish i had have booked the Osiris Hotel earlier.

Date of stay: October 2010
  • Trip type: Travelled with family
3  Thank rubyrubyms
Reviewed 19 September 2010

I have been to this hotel a number of times over the last few years. It was recommended to me by an acquaintance, and for a long time I think this hotel has survived on word-of-mouth from happy customers. I must say that when I first arrived there my partner and I thought we had made a mistake as the entrance can be a little deceiving, and you may think there is no hotel there!

However, the hotel is a beautiful series of old rooms in an old building in the middle of Cairo, and therefore you are bang in the middle of all the restaurants and activities. The staff are super friendly and extremely helpful. They picked us up from the airport, arranged day trips to the pyramids, and were full of friendly good advice. The price they charge for all of their services are among the best you will find in Cairo (day trips and so on).

I cant recommend this enough, its not the most luxurious place in the world for sure, but it makes up for that with genuine good service and helpful thoughtful owners. I have recommended many other people to stay here by word of mouth and they have fell for its charm!

Date of stay: October 2009
3  Thank SafariKaty
Reviewed 14 August 2010

The Berlin Hotel is like a rough diamond. If you come here you will discover it's facets. We left with the impression that it's a little gem. Great value for money and service complete.
P.S. Cairo = car horns = ear plugs?
P.P.S. Talaat Harb Street, down from the American Coffee House
Fresh Mango and Sugar cane juices "YUM"
Look for the mangoes hanging out front

Date of stay: August 2010
6  Thank simary23
Reviewed 10 August 2010

The hotel is very well located in a quiet area, with cleen colored rooms ; the staff is warmly welcoming and completely dedicated to the customers.
Coming back, for sure !

Date of stay: July 2010
5  Thank euskadi22
Reviewed 21 April 2010

Dear Mr. Youssif and the Team at the Berlin Hotel:
I would like to thank the Team at the Berlin Hotel for my wonderful stay at their hotel in Cairo! I loved the room and the balconies were awesome! The new decoration of the room made me so pleased. But most of all, I must commend all of the team for the care and attention I received while I was there. All of them were so helpful to me and especially considerate and thoughtful. It is so heart-warming to know one can travel half way around the world and find such a wonderful group of people. They all really made me feel welcome and safe. I am telling everyone how great they are and what a fine time I had in Cairo.
Lynne Jackson