“Perfect location just beside museum, but...”
Review of Museum View Hotel

Museum View Hotel
Ranked #39 of 135 Speciality Lodging in Cairo
Reviewed 12 June 2011

The hotel sent a driver/taxi complimentary because I booked a room with toilet/shower/balcony (as stated in their website). Ahmad (still sleeping, and should be the reception guy that day) was very accommodating, he woke up to check me in. The hotel is on the second floor of an old building on the other side of the street where the National Museum is - that's where it got its name apparently.

No offense to the guys at the hotel -- you might respond to this review and that's a good thing, but I'm always honest and I express my personal view based on how I feel and on my actual experience. The thing is, I've stayed in a charming place in Luxor with the same price right before this one, so I can't avoid using that as a benchmark. Then again, some may say, that's Luxor and this is Cairo --- hmmm...yeah maybe, but would that be a valid justification?

Museum View is actually not a hotel per se (again, my opinion, I've stayed at most budget hotels and some hostels), maybe not a hostel because they don't have dorm rooms, so maybe in-between those two. It occupies the second floor of a building - other floors are offices like SAS, and there're maybe about 6 rooms in total, can't remember now. I was shown to my room which I guess is the best one in the house, right on the corner with an unobstructed view of the museum and the road and Tahrir Square, and unfortunately the building under construction infront of both the museum and the Nile Ritz Carlton.

Friendly staff? hmmm... there are 3 guys (partners/owners?) and the female cleaner who also prepares the breakfast. I've read here about this friendliness stuff of the staff but I think there's dash of patronizing on that sort of friendliness, something that I am not particularly comfortable with, and believe me I've experienced genuine friendliness and hospitality in a lot of hotels in Europe and Turkey, particularly Turkey where people really talk to you gleefully and you could feel their sincerity and enthusiasm in giving you tips or just simple chats, so I could easily get the hint if it's genuine or unauthentic (am sure most travelers do). For me, the air is not actually friendly, more of like aaah... I dunno I can't find the right word -- but definitely something I'm not comfortable with, more of like scares me in a weird way.

The room is big and there are two double-door opening up on the big balcony with the streets below nice view but I have to close it both at night to filter the car honkings. King-size bed but the outer sheet or the blanket itself is dusty. And I bought 2 rolls of bathroom tissues the following day - one, for bathroom use of course, secondly, to wipe the old furnitures (bedside tables and stool) which is full of dust, seriously.

The toilet/shower is actually a small rectangular cubicle constructed within one corner of the room with 1/4 of the height to the ceiling open (open-top). Water flow is ok, there's warm shower but the water remains on the floor after you take a shower and won't flow down to the drain, something to do with the leveling of the floor, so I have to shake the water off my feet or wipe it off. And yeah, no towels, so I have to use my hand towel to wipe the water residue off my body after each shower.

On my last day, the door knob got loose and off, like literally I'm holding it when I was trying to pull/close/lock the door. I put it in place but well, it's not properly secured. Tehn again, no one entered the room anyway - good: your stuff are safe and so are you; bad: since no one entered the room the whole 4 days, means, no one cleaned or made-up the room during my entire stay, that I have to take out the rubbish bin and hand it over to one of the guys (Amir, one of the partner/owner) I think on my 3rd day.

Internet is not working but there's an old but functional computer on the small common area and everyone could use it, especially with photo transfer it's useful -- I guess there are only 2 rooms occupied and there were some of those days when I felt I was the only one in the place. In fact, I only found out about the common area and the complimentary breakfast from this nice lady I found one day tapping her laptop keyboard sitting on the reception area on my second day.

Breakfast is not something you'll be looking forward to every morning, if you overslept and skipped it, you'll be glad you chose sleeping.

Having said all the above, I slept ok, since most of the time I'm out and come back tired to ever care.

I paid EGP120/night for the single room, and I think it's supposed to be EGP140 (an EGP20/night discount). I booked the whole day memphis-sakkara-giza private driver with them, costs EGP180. The same frantic driver who picked me up at the airport and who drives like he's auditioning for a part in that movie fast & furious, and the only guy I've seen who could multi-task consistently while driving -- c'mon tell me can you drive and text message on your mobile for more than 2 hours?

I asked for those free maps mentioned on their website, there ain't one, oh, unless they were pertaining to the poster map pinned on the wall at the reception.

Location is great really, the nearest Metro station few strides away is Sadat. Taxis are plenty along the street just outside of the hotel.

All-in-all it's an ok place if you're really on a tight budget and wants to be in a good location. Maybe the hotel is better during peak season, then again, my review is during my stay. Next time I'm in Cairo, and it's peak season maybe I'll try again...errrr...maybe not...and spend more on a proper hotel.

Room Tip: the corner room
  • Stayed: May 2011, travelled solo
2  Thank TheShoppelifter

Reviewed 5 May 2011

Well my story starts on Kos Island in Greece.
Working for Doors Bar all summer and being physically and mentally tired i needed a break
So I decide to visit Egypt
I arrived at Tahrir Square at 03.00 and having nowhere to stay I started searching for my ''first night hotel''. After 3 hotels that i didnt really like for different reasons I found myself walking up the stairs of Museum View Hotel.
The first that impressed me was that the people that worked there were speaking very good English something that u dont find everywhere!
I checked the room and I said to myself OK! this is my place for the night (and the next morning i was planing to go on a best-value-hotel-safari). As i did the next day but u know what? I shouldnt cause the only think gained was muscle pain and lost time cause there are no many Hotels in Cairo that gives u all that Museum View Hotel does ata that price.
Nicest people that will help u at any case (the most importand for me!)
A very good spot close to everything. The subway, the market, the highway, the Egyptian Museum is across the street as the Nile and actually anywhere u want to go this is the ''check point '' cause is the central square. (the negative on that is that if u get a road-side room u might have too much noise)
According to the price very clean and tidy rooms.
No fear for ur luggage! (also very important)
Thank u all at the museum and I hope to see u again sometime.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled solo
2  Thank NareZushi
Reviewed 2 May 2011

Top place in Egypt, definitely the best hostel to stay at in Cairo. The staff are what makes Museum view hotel , they were so welcoming and fun. every one was awesome , Rami , Amir , Ahmed and Mahmoud . I booked all my tours through the hostel and they were fantastic, i felt so safe and well looked after. I advise all travelers to stay at Museum view hotel and book tours with them. Thank you guys for all your hard work

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled solo
2  Thank modymartin
Reviewed 30 April 2011

my story starts when i went to egyptian museum. i was looking for a furnished apartment when i met a man and asked him whether he knows any furnished apartment nearby . He asked if i would like to live in a hotel. I agreed so he instructed me to goto museum view hotel. I was really surprised that the hotel was just opposite to the museum. i went there and met mr. Amer with his beautiful smile (giggle).. he showed me the rooms .. i chose double room with public bathroom
the price was surprisingly low.. the room was always clean and the sun rays come inside the room in the morning (i like to open the window and smell the fresh air every morning)..bathroom was also always clean .. the location is excellent, just opposite to the museum and near the metro stations and many restaurants especially ABU TARIQ (famous resteurant of cushary) and Felfila restaurant of faul (bean)
hotel owners: Mr. Ramy and Mr. amer are so friendly and for sure u will like them and never forget them.
if there is a chance to go to Cairo again, of course museum view hotel will be my first choice
the only bad thing was that the hotel workers and Mr. ramy used to smoke alot in the dining hall which annoyed me coz i don't like cigarette smell especially in closed places

• Stayed: January 2011
2  Thank molidaifu
Reviewed 31 March 2011

Hi All,

My story begins before the uprising of 25th of January when I was staying at the museum view hotel.
Ramy, hotel owner predicted that the uprising is on the way however he had no idea that it will be in just a couple of days and it will last for over two weeks!!!
It was an amazing experience full of fear as much as happiness; fascinating revolutionary atmosphere!!
Ramy and his crew saved heaps of youth were injured in that dark day; the unarmed demonstrators were even attacked by horses and camels...
What a great opportunity to know the now a day’s Egyptians; it was a pleasure and owner to live the Egyptian revolution and to stay in the heart of Tahrir square...
Thanks a lot to the entire hotel staff for taking care of me, and of the excellent customer service provided.

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled solo
3  Thank SamObrien2011
Reviewed 26 February 2011

The best kind of non expencive travel to the historical place,was nice surprized about kidness from stuff and would like to travel here again

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank jadox
Reviewed 21 December 2010

Excellent location combined with great service and friendly workers. Very happy to have found the Museum View Hotel!!

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled with friends