“Fantastic experience!”

Ranked #43 of 127 Speciality Lodging in Cairo
Montreal, Canada
“Fantastic experience!”
Reviewed 9 November 2011

The staff made my trip. In a city where every local is seemingly trying to squeeze every last penny out of you, the museum view hotel was a breath of fresh air. I thoroughly enjoyed my stay here. Highly recommended.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled solo
1 Thank Daniel L

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
New York City, New York
Reviewed 3 October 2011

I'd give this hostel a mixed review.

The staff is friendly and helpful. The young men on staff are learning English, with varying degrees of success. They all know enough to get by, and they're eager to please.

The location is ultra-convenient for access to the Egyptian Museum, Tahrir Square, the Metro, and so on. You'll never got lost, and no one will have a problem finding you. The place is secure and safe. The rooms are all nonsmoking.

The hot water works, as do the fan and the air conditioning. Not all the rooms have a.c. So if you want a.c. (which I'm happy without), be sure to ask for a room that has it. The free wifi in the rooms generally works fine, though sometimes it's weak and cuts out. (The further you are from the lobby, the weaker the signal.)

Thank you to the fellow traveler who recommended Room 504, the corner room. I'd recommend it too. I found the room reasonably spacious, with high ceilings and full balcony doors on two sides. The room is equipped with bed, two night tables, desk, seat, wardrobe, all fine. Once I got across to Mohammed what a "hanger" is, he quickly provided several.

The bathroom en suite is a "wet room," including shower, sink, and toilet, enclosed by walls extending only 3/4 the height of the room. This seems a common arrangement in Cairo at this price bracket. That's all right. But as another fellow traveler commented, somehow the floor isn't properly angled (at least in the bathroom for 504) so the water tends to collect on the floor and not drain. That makes your bathroom floor get pretty sloshy.

The staff generously let me use their kitchen, which was spacious and surprisingly clean.

I'm sure the staff would have arranged for tours if that's what I'd wanted. I didn't, and the staff weren't pushy about it.

I never eat hotel food, so I can't comment on the breakfast. Mohammed directed me to an excellent little store three minutes away that sells a variety of fresh fruits. The fresh dates were great. Yusef, the store's proprietor, lived for five years in New York.

The hostel lobby is a small affair, no larger than it needs to be. Expect the staff to fill it with cigarette smoke, which if you leave your corridor door open may likely waft in your direction.

Cleanliness isn't provided here automatically. The floor, the wardrobe shelves, and the table surfaces came with thick surfaces of dirt, which the staff cheerfully cleaned upon request.

The downside of the location is that the building is on the corner of two streets, one busy and the other a six-lane thoroughfare. All the rooms face one or the other. The corner room faces both. If you are easily disturbed by traffic, bring your earplugs or book a room elsewhere.

As of September 2011, major construction is going on across the street on both sides. The construction on the Museum side is far enough way so I usually didn't hear it over the traffic. The corner room was the farthest away from the other construction, which therefore didn't bother me either.

The lift doesn't stop at the 2nd floor. You can take the lift to the 3rd floor and walk down.

In general: As with many hostels, here someone has taken part of a floor of an office building and turned it into a low-budget staying place. The Museum View provides a reasonably good deal for a room in this price bracket. I've seen better, but I've also seen far worse.

For my departure, the staff arranged a good taxi at a decent price. When I left behind a small bag in the taxi at the airport, Mohammed and the driver went all out to make sure it got back to me. For that, a million thanks!

Room Tip: The corner room-- 504 -- gives you balconies on both sides. One side faces the Museum. The room has...
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled solo
1 Thank O_Gopal
New York City, New York
Reviewed 26 September 2011

Hi!
My first trip to Cairo was a bit whelming and i was nervous. So many questions and options. I am so glad I stayed at Museum View! When i arrived they sent a driver to pick me up from the airport which was great since I was delirious( from no sleep).
Upon arrival they asked what i needed then went about getting it all for me : dinner, a giant bottle of water, money changed to egyptian. The hotel met my tight budget and basic needs. Its rooms and bathrooms were typical of alot of countries I have traveled to in Latin American and Asia. The location next to the Museum of Cairo and Tahir Sqaure cannot be beat! What else can I say? I spent a week in Cairo and Rami , Amir, Ahmed, and Mahmoud did everything they could to make it lovely. I felt that it was important to them that i have a good time. I appreciated it alot...i miss them. I will be back!!!

• Stayed September 2011, travelled solo
2 Thank monica i
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Reviewed 30 August 2011

its great place to stay for those who travel with groups of friends..the hotel location is great,just opposite the museum and many shops n shopping place to walk around..stuff are nice n helpful..very friendly..
will come again whn i will have the chance..

• Stayed December 2010, travelled with friends
Singapore
Reviewed 26 June 2011

Second'ed the review by the guy from Brunei.

Great location.

Nice helpful staff - Mahmoud got us all sorted for the Giza tour, train tickets to Luxor, at great prices.

But as far as the premises - you get what you pay for. This is really quite downmarket and not that suitable for young children. The rooms are basic, run down and not sound proof. We sleep to the soothing sounds of Cairo traffic, dripping taps and chunky ACs. This place is good value for short trips (>2 days = complementary airport transfers!) but I wouldn't be here for more than that.

Room Tip: Room 504 has the balcony and views
  • Stayed June 2011, travelled with family
Palawan Island, Philippines
Reviewed 12 June 2011

The hotel sent a driver/taxi complimentary because I booked a room with toilet/shower/balcony (as stated in their website). Ahmad (still sleeping, and should be the reception guy that day) was very accommodating, he woke up to check me in. The hotel is on the second floor of an old building on the other side of the street where the National Museum is - that's where it got its name apparently.

No offense to the guys at the hotel -- you might respond to this review and that's a good thing, but I'm always honest and I express my personal view based on how I feel and on my actual experience. The thing is, I've stayed in a charming place in Luxor with the same price right before this one, so I can't avoid using that as a benchmark. Then again, some may say, that's Luxor and this is Cairo --- hmmm...yeah maybe, but would that be a valid justification?

Museum View is actually not a hotel per se (again, my opinion, I've stayed at most budget hotels and some hostels), maybe not a hostel because they don't have dorm rooms, so maybe in-between those two. It occupies the second floor of a building - other floors are offices like SAS, and there're maybe about 6 rooms in total, can't remember now. I was shown to my room which I guess is the best one in the house, right on the corner with an unobstructed view of the museum and the road and Tahrir Square, and unfortunately the building under construction infront of both the museum and the Nile Ritz Carlton.

Friendly staff? hmmm... there are 3 guys (partners/owners?) and the female cleaner who also prepares the breakfast. I've read here about this friendliness stuff of the staff but I think there's dash of patronizing on that sort of friendliness, something that I am not particularly comfortable with, and believe me I've experienced genuine friendliness and hospitality in a lot of hotels in Europe and Turkey, particularly Turkey where people really talk to you gleefully and you could feel their sincerity and enthusiasm in giving you tips or just simple chats, so I could easily get the hint if it's genuine or unauthentic (am sure most travelers do). For me, the air is not actually friendly, more of like aaah... I dunno I can't find the right word -- but definitely something I'm not comfortable with, more of like scares me in a weird way.

The room is big and there are two double-door opening up on the big balcony with the streets below nice view but I have to close it both at night to filter the car honkings. King-size bed but the outer sheet or the blanket itself is dusty. And I bought 2 rolls of bathroom tissues the following day - one, for bathroom use of course, secondly, to wipe the old furnitures (bedside tables and stool) which is full of dust, seriously.

The toilet/shower is actually a small rectangular cubicle constructed within one corner of the room with 1/4 of the height to the ceiling open (open-top). Water flow is ok, there's warm shower but the water remains on the floor after you take a shower and won't flow down to the drain, something to do with the leveling of the floor, so I have to shake the water off my feet or wipe it off. And yeah, no towels, so I have to use my hand towel to wipe the water residue off my body after each shower.

On my last day, the door knob got loose and off, like literally I'm holding it when I was trying to pull/close/lock the door. I put it in place but well, it's not properly secured. Tehn again, no one entered the room anyway - good: your stuff are safe and so are you; bad: since no one entered the room the whole 4 days, means, no one cleaned or made-up the room during my entire stay, that I have to take out the rubbish bin and hand it over to one of the guys (Amir, one of the partner/owner) I think on my 3rd day.

Internet is not working but there's an old but functional computer on the small common area and everyone could use it, especially with photo transfer it's useful -- I guess there are only 2 rooms occupied and there were some of those days when I felt I was the only one in the place. In fact, I only found out about the common area and the complimentary breakfast from this nice lady I found one day tapping her laptop keyboard sitting on the reception area on my second day.

Breakfast is not something you'll be looking forward to every morning, if you overslept and skipped it, you'll be glad you chose sleeping.

Having said all the above, I slept ok, since most of the time I'm out and come back tired to ever care.

I paid EGP120/night for the single room, and I think it's supposed to be EGP140 (an EGP20/night discount). I booked the whole day memphis-sakkara-giza private driver with them, costs EGP180. The same frantic driver who picked me up at the airport and who drives like he's auditioning for a part in that movie fast & furious, and the only guy I've seen who could multi-task consistently while driving -- c'mon tell me can you drive and text message on your mobile for more than 2 hours?

I asked for those free maps mentioned on their website, there ain't one, oh, unless they were pertaining to the poster map pinned on the wall at the reception.

Location is great really, the nearest Metro station few strides away is Sadat. Taxis are plenty along the street just outside of the hotel.

All-in-all it's an ok place if you're really on a tight budget and wants to be in a good location. Maybe the hotel is better during peak season, then again, my review is during my stay. Next time I'm in Cairo, and it's peak season maybe I'll try again...errrr...maybe not...and spend more on a proper hotel.

Room Tip: the corner room
  • Stayed May 2011, travelled solo
2 Thank TheShoppelifter
San Sebastian - Donostia, Spain
Reviewed 5 May 2011

Well my story starts on Kos Island in Greece.
Working for Doors Bar all summer and being physically and mentally tired i needed a break
So I decide to visit Egypt
I arrived at Tahrir Square at 03.00 and having nowhere to stay I started searching for my ''first night hotel''. After 3 hotels that i didnt really like for different reasons I found myself walking up the stairs of Museum View Hotel.
The first that impressed me was that the people that worked there were speaking very good English something that u dont find everywhere!
I checked the room and I said to myself OK! this is my place for the night (and the next morning i was planing to go on a best-value-hotel-safari). As i did the next day but u know what? I shouldnt cause the only think gained was muscle pain and lost time cause there are no many Hotels in Cairo that gives u all that Museum View Hotel does ata that price.
Nicest people that will help u at any case (the most importand for me!)
A very good spot close to everything. The subway, the market, the highway, the Egyptian Museum is across the street as the Nile and actually anywhere u want to go this is the ''check point '' cause is the central square. (the negative on that is that if u get a road-side room u might have too much noise)
According to the price very clean and tidy rooms.
No fear for ur luggage! (also very important)
Thank u all at the museum and I hope to see u again sometime.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled solo