“Fast and tasty!”

Koshary Abou Tarek
Ranked #11 of 4,151 Restaurants in Cairo
Cuisines: Fast food, Middle Eastern, Egyptian
Good for: Cheap Eats, Groups, Kids, Child-friendly, Local cuisine
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Lunch, Brunch, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations, Seating, Takeout, Waitstaff
Norfolk, England
“Fast and tasty!”
Reviewed 21 May 2014

Very popular place, filled mostly with locals. Clean, brightly lit, fish tanks upstairs. Good service - the waiter on our first visit explained about adding the tomato sauce, chilli and lemon etc as we were new to the koshari experience.
For others who are new to it, koshari is a mixture of pasta, rice, lentils, chick peas, fried onions with tomato sauce and other condiments to add on top. It's a filling, vegetarian meal. No menu - just koshari, plus some desserts.
We had slightly cheaper koshari elsewhere in Egypt but we still only paid 10LE for a koshari (less than 1 GBP), so hardly seems worth worrying about, and this was probably the best we had (in fact we went there twice). We could hardly believe that we'd paid the equivalent of £2.50 for a meal and soft drinks for 2!

• Visited May 2014
2 Thank Sarah-and-Colin

• Arabic first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Ohio
“Little piece of heaven....”
Reviewed 4 May 2014

Im not sure what planet Hadeel is from with her comment about the price...but a large is only 10LE!!! Dislikes? NONE!!!! This koshary is AMAZINGGGGGGGGGGG!!!! I was rather skeptical about trying koshary, but with it being a staple food of Egypt...I had to try it. I had koshary at another restaurant and all I can say is this place is WONDERFUL!!! My husband is Egyptian so he has had more than his fair share of koshary, and he says this is the best koshary he has ever had. I will 100000% be back here again and again when I return to Cairo!! The place is BUSY and quite noisy, but once that koshary is in front of you...the world disappears :)

• Visited April 2014
1 Thank 19Pink69
Cairo, Egypt
“Not as good as it used to be”
Reviewed 25 March 2014

This place is one of the oldest places to eat koshary in all Egypt, my father used to eat there when he was a kid, it is good for tourists who would like to try koshary for a one-time, but not worth going there more than once anymore, the food became more expensive and the atmosphere lost its authenticity, still a very good experience but don't waste time making multiple trips to the place

• Visited June 2013
2 Thank Hadeel A
Oslo, Norway
“Good Koshary restaurant”
Reviewed 22 March 2014

Stopped here for lunch after asking my guide that I wanted :-)

It was so good and fast service. Cost you like nothing and It Is also takeaway If you want that.

The Koshary tasted good and I will be back next time I am In Cairo. The prices are also very very nice :-) make sure you make a visit and they have 3 floors and I promise you do not have to wait for a long time even to get a table or the food.

• Visited March 2014
3 Thank M0na62
Wilmington, North Carolina
“Exciting and fun ethnic cuisine”
Reviewed 16 March 2014

We had heard of Koshary and wanted to try it, so when we were in Cairo (last summer), we stopped in - and we were not disappointed! It is fun to watch them make the popular local dish, by adding one ingredient upon the next until you have a great, tasty bowl. It sure is popular with the locals - the place was packed! The next time we had a few hours to kill in Cairo, we went back! That's how much we liked it. I only hope that the situation in Egypt calms down so that others can visit and enjoy this iconic restaurant.

• Visited June 2013