“just so so, we didn't like very much Bella Luna”
Review of Bella Luna

Bella Luna
Ranked #5 of 133 Speciality Lodging in Cairo
Reviewed 12 August 2011

We arrived in the early morning and we were sold a trip to the airport quickly by the hotel boss and then sent to a room at the end of the corridor.

The room is small&clean but we could nearly open the wooden window, as it was too hot and we had to keep the air conditioning on...

When there were especially the boss and staffs walking in the corridor, they talked really too loudly. The first night , I was waken at 23h30 by the shouting... I thought it was a nightmare... Actually they were only discussing or talking ...
The breakfast was not good... tea&coffee were discusting...
We finally went outside to eat...

There is only one flat sheet on the mattress and the mattress is not very clean...

The last day, we waited long time for the driver to go to the airport, he arrived 30m late and we were later shocked that he drove to the other hotel to pick up another passanger... then drove madly to the airport, because we were in a hurry...
This is what we were not told where we bought the trip...

A disappointment, without trying you'll never know.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
5  Thank yihuifish

Reviewed 22 July 2011

My wife and I stayed at the Bella Luna in July 2011. It is an obscure hotel that very few locals know about. In fact, the only reason why we decided to stay their was due to the very rating it has on this website. First of all, it was extremely problematic finding the hotel as there is no sign of the hotel on the main road and the only identifiable feature is a small placard in an alleyway leading to a small court yard which has an arrow pointing left stating 'Bella Luna' underneath the arrow. You walk through this small alley way with watch shops either side of it and follow the arrow. You find a contraception that looks like a 19th century elevator and is certainly a death trap waiting to happen. Once you get to the third floor, and find the reception, you find a poorly lit room with actual hotel room doors located at the back of the reception hall... It is a small hotel/hostel. We asked for an en-suite double room as there are rooms without bathrooms and so have to use communal bathrooms. Our bedroom was poorly lit, they use energy saving light bulbs throughout the hotel which I applaud however it gives an enveloping sense of unease. The room was clean and the a.c. worked fine however the en suite left a lot to be desired. The bathroom had two walls connecting to the outer walls of the bedroom however the bathroom walls didn't connect to the ceiling and there was a 3 foot gap meaning it looked like a giant toilet cubicle. As you can imagine, it was awkward especially as I had by wife with me. The view from the window wasn't exactly scenic either- literally a stones throw away, directly opposite the window was a balcony that was constantly open and led into a flat where a whole family was living. I would not have disliked the stay as much, if it wasn't for the fact that it was rated so highly on trip advisor and the fact it was quoted as a 3 star hotel. It isn't a 3* hotel but I suppose you get what you pay for- we paid £22 per night which is very reasonable. It is a very good hotel if you are on a budget and don't mind the 'no frills' nature of the hotel. I would only come here again if I was on my own as I don't think it is suitable for families or couples.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
3  Thank haza1982
Reviewed 14 July 2011

This is a great hotel in cairo. All the prervious reports r true and accurate. Rooms clean,safe, ac,hot water.wi fi and quiet and all the staff r friendly and helpful and can arrange anything all for 19 us a night

Room Tip: room 46 is a great room for a couple
  • Stayed: July 2011, travelled solo
3  Thank sutcak
Reviewed 31 May 2011

When arriving you may a little bit shocked - walking through a shady backyard, using a desolate elevator from 1930 or something. But when you enter the hotel, it's like another world. Clean and spacious rooms, AC, free WIFI, even for European standards it's a 3-star+ hotel for little money. Also excellent location on Talaat Harb Street (10 minutes to Tahrir-Square and the Metro), nevertheless relatively quiet rooms. Absolutely recommandable.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled solo
5  Thank stoni111121
Reviewed 29 May 2011

I'm sitting here in a much less pleasant hotel in Istanbul, wishing I were back at the Bella Luna. The staff was friendly, the room was nice, the linens were clean, and the bathroom was private, all for only $30 a night. I even had a balcony. It is a pity that so many travellers have taken Egypt off their itineraries for this year, because places like this aren't going to make it if they can't keep business coming.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled solo
6  Thank philbastian
Reviewed 3 May 2011

I only stayed 2 nights and was pleasantly surprised by how clean and spacious my room was. Bathroom also very clean. I have booked again to go back and opted for the cheaper rooms upstairs on the 5th floor, I had a look at the rooms and the only difference to me seemed to be the cheaper rooms overlook Talaat Harb street which is very noisy (cheap pair of ear plugs will solve that). Breakfast was adequate and had the Egyptian breakfast on my first morning which filled me up for most of the day.
Lots of reviews say how difficult it is to find but none give many clues so hopefully this might help. The hotel is on a one way street and going in the direction of traffic is on the left hand side, if you reach (Midan) Talaat Harb Square where Groppi's coffee shop is you've gone too far! There is a bright yellow sign hanging at the 5th floor and the entrance is down an alley (I always found this to be well lit and busy even at 1am and felt safe at all times despite being a woman on my own). Talaat Harb street seems to be mainly shoe shops and the alley where the hotel is has a very small jewellers at the entrance which I found handy as a marker. I didn't spot the glass fronted shopping mall at first - on the ground floor it just has standard windows that look like a large department store, the tinted glass fronted part with columns on each side doesn't start til the first floor up. The shopping mall has a couple of cash machines/ATM's and there are lots of kiosks selling water etc in the side streets round Talaat Harb.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled on business
5  Thank ucieOT
Reviewed 2 May 2011

I spent a very pleasant week here.

Luna, on the fifth floor, offers rooms with a shared bath. In Bella Luna, on the third, the baths are en suite. I stayed at Bella Luna, but having seen Luna I'm sure I would have been happy there as well.

The ceilings are high -- eighteen or twenty feet. The morning sun streaming in through the double doors of my east-facing balcony was a pleasure.

The elevator runs. The hot water worked fine. In April there was no need of air conditioning, but the room had a modern a/c unit, which I trust would work well. The WiFi connection was always on, with a strong signal always available in my room. (For some reason, the network is rather slow at resolving web addresses. But other than that it's good. Calls on Skype, for instance, worked well.)

The staff were always friendly and helpful, the fellow guests pleasant.

I don't eat hotel food, so I can't comment on the breakfast.

Twenty-four-hour room service provides water, cold drinks, tea, and the like. If you prefer your water at half the price, you can just drop down to Abdel-Hamid Said Street, right in front of the hotel.

(By the way, if you walk out the door and turn right on Talaat Harb Street, a few blocks away on the left is a side street with a market for all sorts of fruits, fresh and good, at local-people prices. Delicious fresh Egyptian dates for 5 Egyptian pounds per kilo.)

The hotel is about a five- or seven-minute walk from Tahrir Square and so a hop, skip and a jump away from the Museum.

Was Cairo, April 2011, tense and dangerous to visit? In my experience, just the opposite. Yes, I saw some men jumping up on tables in the street at night, thrusting forward their arms and shouting in Arabic. They were selling watches and T-shirts.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled on business