“Don't stay here unless you have to”
Review of Mayorca Hotel

Mayorca Hotel
Ranked #107 of 138 Hotels in Cairo
“Don't stay here unless you have to”
Reviewed 10 January 2013 via mobile

We stayed here as part of our Geckos tour- like most others from the reviews. The hotel was pretty tired. I thought of the word dire about most things- the food for breakfast, the breakfast room, the lobby, the rooms, the shower. While it was very clean (sterile) the rooms had no atmosphere. When you return from a day out in Cairo it is not inviting. My sister stayed in a single room for a night that smelt like an ashtray. Her towels and bedding smelt of smoke. The location was ok, and it was cheap. The rooms were cold and we had to use our sleeping bags for extra warmth.

• Stayed January 2013
16 Thank blondegirl27

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
  • Polish first
Berlin
Reviewed 7 November 2012

We had a spacous room with two beds and a balkony. Room was okay, but could alittlebit cleaner. The besttime of this hotel is definitly over. Housekeeping was just average. Breakfast was Nescafe with creamer, different types of bred, package marmelade which was not eatable. Some cheese, tomatos and cucumber. The best was a small cake/muffin.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled with family
5 Thank Anne B
Melbourne
Reviewed 27 September 2012

We stayed here as part of a tour. After reading reviews I wasn't expecting that much but was pleasantly surprised. The room was spacious and clean. I wouldn't choose to stay here as it is not in the greatest location but as part of a tour it was fine.

Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
4 Thank YasandTim
Salgotarjan, Hungary
Reviewed 17 September 2012

I stayed in this hotel as part of a package tour, and it is not as bad at all. My room vas spacious, had a double bed for myself, the bathroom was clean and the breakfast was OK. Staff at the desk were helpful, and helped me with small things and information. I guess this hotel is not for someone who is expecting 5 star, but for a budget price this was pretty decent.
I had a pleasent stay here.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled solo
4 Thank Tom_B954
Oslo
Reviewed 23 July 2012 via mobile

The only reason I stayed here was because of Gecko and they have to find another accommodation for their guests.

First, the location sucks. Taxi drivers hardly find it and it's in a no-tourist land. The rooms are all gloomy (I stayed in three different rooms), and what is considered clean here includes pubic hair both in the sink and the bath tub. Water comes and goes, AC's work randomly and lamps don't work.

On my first day at Mayorca I asked the receptionist to find me a taxi. A private car turned up, presumably a friend/relative. A white taxi with meeter passed by and I wanted to take that and not the private one. They tried to pay the white taxi off the site and persuade me to drive with their friend. I denied, took a white taxi and paid 15 to go the Coptic area and not 25 as the receptionist claimed the cost would be.

There are two positive comments to make about this hotel; free wifi and friendly staff in the restaurant. But do yourself a favour; find another hotel when in Cairo.

• Stayed July 2012
21 Thank AuroraPolaris

Travellers are raving about these Cairo hotels

Perth, Australia
Reviewed 28 May 2012

Spent a few nights at the Mayora before and after our Geckos tour in April 2012. Very basic, the breakfast was barely edible and I saw the state of some of the rooms. Luckily the rooms we stayed in were ok but the ones our friends stayed in were pretty horrendous with huge cracks in the walls/ceiling and bits of roof hanging off everywhere!

Situated in a non-touristy part of Cairo, no other hotels around, barely any restaurants and the atm was a mission to find!

I'm sure there are probably many better hotels out there!

Research very carefully how much you should be paying a driver to take you places before you book one through the hotel. We got ripped off the first day in Egypt because we were unaware.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with friends
20 Thank Flippy01
Albury, Australia
Reviewed 14 January 2012

Again we stayed here after a Gecko tour - the first room the air conditioning was not working and we were freezing however the staff at reception moved us to a room with heat and all was well. We thought that the hotel was okay for the price - sheets were clean, water was hot and overall the staff were very helpful, breakfast was plentiful.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple