“Old Charme”
Review of Groppi - CLOSED

Groppi
Reviewed 25 March 2012

Groppi in the centre on midan Talaat Harb has the charme and the look from more than one century ago. You can imagine when you see the buildings in that area how it once was and lady's with umbrella's,long dresses accompied with gentleman with high hat's visiting Groppi to have a hot drink with Groppi's famous sweets.Groppi is lately restored.

1  Thank TinaLandgraaf

Reviewed 19 March 2012

It's sad to see the downward spiral taking place in this once famed Cairo institution. The environment has deterirated, the vast racks of cakes, jams and other confectionary once associated with the cafe has reduced considerably to one meagre line of fridges containing cakes and chocolates. The menu of snacks and food on offer seems to have almost dissapeared. The staff seemed pleasant enough offereing a slow bur pleasant service.

The subterranean bathrooms were clean and well ventilated.

2  Thank jd2412
Reviewed 27 January 2012

There's been a lot written about Groppi. It's lost some of it luster since the old days but they still make a great lemon juice.

1  Thank kim-ohradiogirl
Reviewed 27 January 2012

I went to Groppi on my own and was asked what I wanted. I told them and because I asked to eat inside, they pointed me into the main seating area. I waited for a long time to get noticed and then had to give my order again despite it not being particularly busy. I wasn't given a menu so didn't know the prices of the items - but thankfully it was reasonable.

I ordered croissant, which was barely warm and hot chocolate which was passable. When I got my change back, they hid the coins in the corner flap and would have let me leave them had I not checked and enquired. It's a common trick in Cairo, I've found. Best to check all change.

1  Thank Tamanna R
Reviewed 23 January 2012

Just arrived in Cairo, wanted a snack. This was just opposite our hotel. Not sure what to do. Tak a seat, wait a while and eventual service. Real histroic location, fancy looking cakes, but a bit pricey