“Excellent Hostel”
Review of Dina's Hostel

Dina's Hostel
Ranked #16 of 133 Speciality Lodging in Cairo
Reviewed 3 May 2014

We stayed at Dina's for two night in late March. Everything you could hope for from an inner city Cairo hostel. The staff were really friendly and helpful, quick to sort the bathroom when we accidentally flooded it (take the plug out the floor drain before showering) and calling our airline to double check a flight that wasn't showing on the airport's departure list. Only thing to watch out for is if you have an early morning pick up or transfer, make sure you have a key for the street door. We found ourselves locked in at 5am in the morning. But again Dina's staff sorted it for us. Would definitely recommend staying here.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 13 April 2014

Well located, right in the heart of downtown Cairo. Only a 15 minute walk to the Egyptian Museum and 10 minutes to the Metro. Also lots of shops and restaurant located close by.

Friendly helpful, knowledgeable staff who are always willing to help.

Excellent tours to the Pyramids, Bahariya Oasis & White Desert.

Good clean rooms and bathrooms, comfortable common areas.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank TimPickering
Reviewed 9 April 2014

Very very clean. Huge high ceilings, french doors allow light and cool air at night, lovely wooden floors. Helpful staff, Dina is very knowledgable. Soap n towels provided. Entrance lift is broken so be sure to ask how to use other 2 lifts cause its on the 5th floor. I am a solo female backpacker. I stayed here on arrival to egypt and again on my return to cairo - i definitely recommend!

• Stayed: April 2014
1  Thank Dana K
Reviewed 2 April 2014

I have just spent a few weeks in Cairo and was lodged at the hostel for most of the trip. As a whole, I was more than appreciative of my stay there!

As this was my first trip in Cairo, I was of course a little new to the workings of the city and its denizens. The staff at the hostel was very helpful and Dina herself (the owner) was readily available to give us tips and suggestions on just about any service or information that we required. They could even book tours to visit sites (in Cairo or even in other egyptian cities and locations), which was a very useful and hassle-free way to organize our trips.

There are several types of rooms, from dormitories to rooms with private bathrooms, and the prices are very reasonable. Our bed was somewhat firm, but comfortable. The staff is very friendly and can communicate in English if you require it. The hostel has two common rooms, a little kitchen, WiFi access and basic services such as coffee, tea, soft drinks that are available, as well as a laundry service for a nominal fee. The included breakfast is very basic.

During our stay, the elevator leading to the hostel on the 5th floor was broken, but they showed us how to use a working elevator from the neighboring building to save us the hassle of climbing several flights of stairs. The staff is great at finding solutions to many little problems!

All told, the stay there was just great. There were nights where mosquitoes could have been a serious nuisance, but with the repellent they offer, plugged into the room with the window shutters closed, we hardly had any bites to show for.

Another plus, Dina has just opened a new European-style cafe barely a block away from the hostel. Kafein cafe has a great variety of teas and coffee, the best selection I have seen in the neighborhood. Try it out if you wish to relax with your laptop or smoke a nice shisha while reading!

Room Tip: Rooms on the left wing have a better view but are louder as they are facing the street. Those in the...
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Alexis D
Reviewed 1 April 2014 via mobile

First time I came to the hostel I loved the common area it was really cozy n simple even my friends who stayed in the hostel love it bcuz the staff r friendly n helpful plus in Dina's hostel anyone can feel like they're in their home
Mosquitos not problem of the place n they're very clean staff n place n from the first day I wanted to work there then after a big training from Miss Dina (the owner) nw I wanna work there forever so I recommend anyone to go stay in Dina's hostel n they won't ever regret :)

Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank Yasmine E
Reviewed 19 March 2014

I like to say some positive things before I go into the negative..

All the staff are really friendly,not very pushy and a really friendly guide, giving us lots of advice about how to spend our time in Cairo.

The beds feel like stone and are incredibly uncomfortable.

The shower was shared with the toilet floor space so water ran everywhere.
There wasn't Lift, Imagine!

The breakfasts are terrible, basically bread and cheese.
The hotel is very far away from things like the pyramids, Cairo Tower, restaurants that we went to and so it took over an hour to get home.

it's pretty smelly and dusty outside (not sure what smell prevailed ) once you start walking towards the city centre you are fine. Would not recommend it, no. Would I stay there again?. Probably not.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled solo
7  Thank Chris L
Reviewed 11 March 2014

We had our own room with ensuite toilet & shower which was great. The staff were very helpful and extremely nice, we organised various taxis and a day driver to giza through them. Our room seemed to consistently have mosquitoes in it, even after I had killed a few of them. They had mosquito repellent plug-ins on request and gave us two of them which probably helped.

The location was great - around the corner from the opera square, after which you can walk under the flyover and follow it all the way to Khan Al Khalili market. in the opposite direction you can get one of the cards from Dina's reception and follow the directions to Tahrir Square / Egyptian Museum. On the way you will find El Abd bakery, go there the cakes are divine!

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple