“Great location, friendly staff”
Review of Hotel Royal

Hotel Royal
Ranked #101 of 138 Hotels in Cairo
Adelaide, Australia
“Great location, friendly staff”
Reviewed 14 January 2012

WE have just had 2 nights at hotel royal, and were very impressed. Really good value for money with spacious rooms and bathroom, towels changed daily, beds made and a breakfast of juice, yoghurt, bread and jams, freshly made omelete and juice all included i the price. It was very difficult to find for our taxi driver and i let the hotel know and that is because it is only 1 year old. I would advise to take the hotel pick up offer. The entrance is poorly lit and off a lane, but dont be put off because its nice inside once up the stairs. It is a little noisy, but you are in Cairo. There is a nosiy water pump down stairs that kept me awake, but i let the staff know and they are having someone look at it late this week. Very friendly staff, would stay here again.When we arrived in Cairo we stayed at another hostel a little less $ but would not recommend that one only the Royal. A Great stay

• Stayed January 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank mjpearce2016

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
New York City, New York
Reviewed 13 January 2012

Stayed at Hotel Royal for one night before flight out of Cairo. We arrived in the morning and got a taxi from the airport. No one knew where "Elwy Street" or "Hotel Royal" was and our driver had to confer with several other cabbies. Finally, while looking through my papers, I found some correspondence from Hotel Royal that had its address printed in Arabic and was able to give that to the driver. Still, with it, he had trouble finding it, so be advised that it's not the easiest place to find. (Also know that the name seems to be Hotel Royal AND Royal Hotel, which may add to the confusion.) Once you arrive to the building, there's no elevator, so you'll walk up several stairs to reach reception. After a brief check-in with welcome drinks, we were shown to our room, which was 10 steps from the reception desk (Room #7).

The first thing I noticed was the can of bug spray that was provided in the room because I'd read previous reviews about mosquitos. The room was spacious and very comfortable with its big bed and couch. Right off the bat, you need to know that the bathroom is inside the room, but it's an open-concept design, so it's enclosed with frosted glass, but left open at the top. In other words, there is no ceiling/cover to the bathroom, so as if bathroom SOUNDS weren't bad enough, if you're sharing a room with someone, you have to contend with bathroom SMELLS. It may be a good idea to coordinate: one person use the bathroom while the other's out of on the balcony or as you are leaving for the day so no one is left behind in the room to deal with the aftermath. Unpleasant to discuss, but you need to know before you go!

The room was clean, but the mosquitos were apparent immediately. We sprayed the room down and plugged in our electric mosquito repellant and killed a few mosquitos before heading out to explore Cairo. There is no television or phone in the room so make sure you have your own means of entertainment. Our balcony was fitted with two chairs and had a nice view down Elwy Street. Also know that the rooms are not quiet. First, there are a section of rooms that are right off the reception area so they can hear what goes on in your room if you're loud enough and you can hear what's going on out in reception if they're loud enough. Second, if you have a room or balcony facing the street, you'll hear whatever is going on outside. For example, the night we were there, there was some type of soccer (football) game on and the street was lined with chairs and big screen tv's set up for people to smoke shisha and to watch the game. We heard cheering, gasping, yelling, etc. as everyone watched the game and it was loud. It didn't last all night, but just a head's up. Something else to note if you're a light sleeper is that in our particular room, there were two huge window-type things inside that shone the bright light coming from reception. You can tell that some effort was made to paint the windows to decrease the amount of light coming in, but it was still rather bright inside of our room. Some people may find it difficult to sleep with it that bright. I'm not a light sleeper, which is why I rated the sleep quality as I did, but it will be problematic for other people.

The hotel offers free WiFi and it was quick enough. The hotel is very centrally located in Downtown Cairo so there is plenty to see and do. We were a 5 minute walk from Tahrir Square (which, by the way is not some violent cesspool as the media portray...it's a regular traffic circle that carried on with business as usual). If you leave the hotel, you have to leave your key at the front desk, and likewise, pick it up from the front desk when you return to the hotel. (This would be a good time to take a postcard from reception that has the hotel's name/address written in Arabic.) The water in the shower didn't stay hot for more than 5 minutes, so it was a very quick shower. Because we left for our flight so early in the morning, we didn't get the full breakfast experience included in the cost of the room. However, knowing we were leaving early, they arranged two breakfast plates for our room, with coffee, bread and maybe something else like yogurt (can't remember). They can also arrange dinner for you--they have a bunch of menus from local eateries and they'll have it delivered to the room for you if you prefer.

We had the opportunity to meet Mohamed, the manager and he was very pleasant to deal with. The only problem we had was that while we were trying to settle our bill, the credit card machine wasn't working. He swiped my card and said it "failed" so he tried again, and same thing. So I got another card and he swiped. That, too "failed". Another worker was sitting right there and by this time I was terribly embarrassed that they thought my cards were not working. My husband even brought his card out and that "failed". Finally, they realized their machine wasn't working and asked us to go to the ATM and take out money. We eventually did that, but for someone who didn't intend to pay in cash, it could have been problematic.

A key point that I MUST give credit to Hotel Royal for is that our trip had a very complicated itinerary and we ended up switching from a couple of different hotels while we traveled in and out of Cairo. The dates we originally wanted to stay at Hotel Royal became booked up, but despite that, they still arranged transportation and tours for us, even while we were not yet guests there! They arranged for a driver to pick us up at the airport for $20 USD. The next day, they arranged a tour of the pyramids, sphinx, Memphis, Dashur, etc. and it included an English-speaking guide and lunch for $100 USD (total, for 2 people); Islamic & Coptic Cairo tour with an English-speaking guide and lunch for $70 USD (total, for 2 people); and a Nile Dinner Cruise for $70 USD (total, for 2 people). All of the drivers and guides were prompt, friendly and made sure we were safe. We originally had tours booked through other companies and trust me, you cannot beat these prices!

Overall, it was a pleasant stay and they did a great job helping us to enjoy Cairo even while we did not stay with them. Our 1-night stay was uncomplicated and hassle-free. One suggestion I have is that they put flat screen televisions in the room; it would totally fit the modern decor and encourage longer stays for people who would find the room too "boring" without it. Just a suggestion!

Room Tip: Bring mosquito repellant (even in the "winter"), have a bathroom "plan" if shari...
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank LuxeTraveler_9
France
Reviewed 3 January 2012

The excellent service started from the moment of our airport pickup in Cairo.We spent more than 30 nights in Cairo at several different hotels but I can say this is one of the best. Location is great, in the heart of downtown about 5 minutes far from the Egyptian museum .The staff were very friendly and helpful, the rooms were very clean, large and well furnished, the air conditioning and the free Wi-Fi worked very well .

The breakfast was very good , bread roll, cream cheese, butter, jam, tea or coffee and a boiled or fried egg.
I wanna recommend this hotel for any traveler and thank you very much for lovely staff .

• Stayed January 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Jean D
London, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 January 2012

We stayed at hotel royal for a week. The room was clean with a comfy bed. The coffee shops outside stay open till the early hours which, if u have trouble getting to sleep, can be difficult...we had no trouble sleeping however. Breakfast was find with eggs and bread being the stable. Where this hotel really excels is the staff who are very helpful and accommodating. They organised a great itenerary for us including day trips to the pyramids, saqqara, old Cairo and Alexandria. The only letdown was the Nile cruise cultural show which they booked for us which was of fairly poor quality. I would recommend a stay here in Cairo...a comfortable stay at this budget.

• Stayed December 2011
1 Thank Paavan G
Bury St Edmunds, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 December 2011

I'd arranged several pickups from the airport through the hotel as I came and went from Cairo several times. These all worked like clockwork, and on one occasion they even waited 3 hours when my flight was delayed! All the staff in the hotel were exceptionally friendly, which resulted in a relaxed atmosphere in which you felt very comfortable. Something that I didn't experience elsewhere being a single female traveller. I stayed in several different rooms whilst there of varying sizes and all were absolutely fine. Yes, there was noise from the cafe's at night but this is Cairo and I don't think you'll find anywhere quiet! The hotel is in an old building so things are never going to be perfect but that was also part of the charm of the place. The breakfast was very good and the best I had in Egypt, they even provided me with breakfast early a couple of times when I had early pickups. The area around the hotel was very safe and I felt able to wonder around after dark. It is only a 5 minute walk to the Egyptian Museum and Tahrir Square which makes it convenient too. I would defintiely use this hotel again when I'm in Cairo and would recommend to anyone who is going. Thanks to everyone at Hotel Royal for a fantastic stay!

• Stayed November 2011, travelled solo
1 Thank HellyRG
Crete, Greece
Reviewed 20 December 2011

It wasn't our first time in Egypt for me & my husband and our two daughters ,we decided to try a new place ,for me & my husband we booked a suite , twin room for the girls which was close to our suite
we was surprised as we felt really like at home,the stuff ready to give you helping hand any time they also speaks English very well and some of them speak other langues also like Italy and Norway .
after our arrival to the hotel they offer a welcome drink and they provide us with a lot of information about Egypt specially we weren't have a schedule for our tour but they help us to have an organized tours for Giza pyramids , in the next day we made a tour to another city (Alexandria) and it was very nice , as the city was beautiful, we had a private car with driver speak English very well .

Breakfast was normal, basic breakfast which is good start for your day as a tourist
The rooms furniture was modern , stylish and very comfortable , have a bath room inside with bath tube .also we had fresh flowers at our room

we recommend this hotel and if we come to Egypt again we will stay at the hotel .

• Stayed December 2011, travelled with family
Cairo, Egypt
Reviewed 18 December 2011

This hotel has big plush rooms with high-ceilings and extremely comfortable beds and clean bathrooms. Manager Hussein not only looks after your stay, he knows everything about getting around Cairo and Egypt. We were in Cairo at a pretty intense time, and coming back to Hussein, Madelaine and Mona at the Royal was like returning home to family.
We've been back twice since the first stay and will keep going back.
Also the breakfast, included, is a good start to the day.

Room Tip: For light sleepers, go for an inner room - the ones with the balconies have cool views over the tea...
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple