“Amazing stay”
Review of Freedom Hostel

Freedom Hostel
Ranked #2 of 130 Speciality Lodging in Cairo
Reviewed 12 June 2014

Had an amazing stay at freedom hostel in Cairo. Staff were incredible and very helpful.. Listened to everything I wanted and tailored a great vacation to my needs. Very kind, welcoming and energetic. Hostel was very clean. Prime location. Few minutes from everything. When I went away from Cairo to Luxor and Aswan, I was legitimately homesick for Cairo and I believe it was because the staff at freedom hostel made me feel as though Cairo and the hostel was my home. I'd go back in a heartbeat.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank Myra H

Reviewed 16 May 2014

Very clean, the staff is very warm, the price is good, have breakfast, the kitchen has a washing machine, microwave oven, the new has welcome tea, sleep until what time to have breakfast.
Staff will give you tailored journey of Egypt, and the price is lines do not include entry student tickets are half price is very reasonable, but the Chinese student id card to explain half a day It is good to have English on card to do a lot.
Location is very good, can walk to the museum, wifi soon covered the whole layer.

• Stayed: May 2014
Reviewed 15 April 2014

This is the hostels of hostels! I stayed here for 5 nights in Dorm and its easily the best hostel I have ever stayed in. It was spotless, absolutely no dust or dirt or anything. They have a washer and dryer for you to use as well and they cook up some great food for you too. I cannot describe how friendly the staff were. They organized numerous day trips too.The Staff will be your best friend when you leave! Also they have AC and wifi! Stay here it feels like home. safe, clean, calm.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank Ol E
Reviewed 21 March 2014

i stayed for 5 nights in a room with privat bathroom in march 2014. the first room i got in the hostel had four single beds, was huge, with high ceilings, a balcony, wooden floor and a spaciouse bathroom. besides a few outside noises the room was very quiet. for a night i had to change another room. the room was ok but much smaller, with a double bed, less high ceilings, no balcony and no wooden floor, again with a spaciouse bathroom. you cant hear outside noises but since its close to the bathrooms of the dorms you hear more of the hostels noises. the young staff was very friendly and helpful with information regarding trips. complimentary breakfast is served on small tables in the lobby where you find other travellers to share experiences. the atmosphere is friendly and ideal for travellers, as a solo women traveller i felt very safe in freedom hostel which is located on the third floor of an old colonial building.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 19 March 2014

I have never stayed at hostel before so no ability to compare. I booked for 2 reasons 1) close to the museum 2) needed to be cheap. Ticked these requirements for sure. I booked a private room as solo female traveller (older) so Im not into sharing. My room had 4 beds and own bathroom. I figure that the $AUD20 per day I spent to have the privilege of private room was pretty fair and worth it. Breakfast was basic and would get you by. Peter, who greeted me was great & helpful. Internet was excellent. Be aware that, as with most of Egypt, there are 2 nights for compulsory power cut to building block, for about an hour, between 7.30 and 8.30pm. Just ask what nights, plan to stay out and have coffee during this time as it is very dark inside, no emergency lighting. Didnt bother me as I had computer with loads of battery power. My belongings were safe while I was out (room was able to be locked) Not sure how you go with keys to lock door if you do share with strangers. Metal shutters did help keep a lot of alley noise out. the noise was just men drinking coffee after dinner and playing backgammon or chess, but they do stay up later than I did :-) Mattresses were foam, but I found that a lot with cheaper places. beware if you have back problems, this may not suit. What I didnt like, but I am guessing this is the norm for cheaper places or hostel environment, is that they only had bottom sheet, no top sheet and the towel provided was the size of a bath mat. Hey it may of been for that purpose but Im not sure. I wont mark down for this as I am sure this is normal, I just havent stayed in hostels before to know.
Overall, I was happy with cleanliness & general feel of place and would stay again for sure.

I have added some other info below, not related to the hostel and this information does not reflect the rating I gave, its just extra info if required

GENERAL INFO
GETTING THERE: Take a snapshot of the location (with wider area) on your phone or use printed map. I came from train station via a taxi driver, who had no idea how to get there. Using map, I was able to pinpoint him there once in the area. Cairo is big after all! If you email hostel, they will provide driver for airport pickup for EGP80. The word FUNDUQ (fon-dook) arabic word for Hotel, should be imprinted in your brain. 4 flights of stairs will get you in. Stairs & "foyer" are filthy, but its a shared building so I guess no-one wants to clean it for everyone else's sake. Dont let this put you off.

FOOD: At the entrance of hostel, turn left to the main road (Sherif Basha). Cross this road. A few blocks to right is McDonalds (sometimes its nice to just have something predictable!) Across the road from McDonalds is Simonds Bakery Cafe - OMG the cakes are to die and the coffee isnt half bad. Quiet sophisticated indoor setting to enjoy & relax. If you turned left on Sherif Basha (still across road from hostel) keep your eyes open on the RHS, you will see a rabbit warren of hundreds of plastic chairs, open air cafe setting. For the first time in 3 weeks in Egypt, I felt very comfortable (in this setting). First time I saw Egyptian women smoking shishas (or even in cafes minus their menfolk) was here. There are plenty of street cafes with street food options. My pick was the Sports Cafe (2 big screen TVs for soccer fans) a little further in the alley. I ate at LAZIZ (2 El Kady El Fadel Sabry Abou Alam St) for cheap varied menu food (soup, pizza, shwarma, pasta etc). I didnt really find falafel options, but wasnt looking too hard either as i was a bit over it by then. Plenty of places to buy water, soft drinks etc. Pharmacies abound.

PEOPLE: for those who are new to Egypt. TRUST NO-ONE who approaches you. If you are lost, pretend that your not, as the person who approaches you has an ulterior motive. If your lost - YOU pick who to talk to. I walked to and from Museum from hostel and knew exactly where I was going, but still I was approached several times by men who "I am not taxi, just want to help you, I am (and take your pick) student at University (or) Museum worker (or) worked for tourist police (or) have english friends (or..well you get my drift)". Even though I said I know where I am going I was constantly being manhandled to go in the opposite direction, seemingly to go the "best way" or to good shopping etc. I found a good defence mechanism is to pretend you are having a phone conversation as you walk and wear dark sunnies. It gives you an opportunity to scope around without looking like you are. Sorry but those who want to rip off tourists will target the tourist, and hard. I dressed very conservatively but obviously still stuck out like a tourist.

Room Tip: Pay to have room private if in your budget, take earplugs to Egypt
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled solo
3  Thank jackoperth
Reviewed 1 March 2014

My stay at Freedom Hostel was a fantastic one. During my stay, I have made a lot friends and its staff are very professional.I hereby strongly recommend the hostel for its services and its clean environment. If I were to return to Egypt sometime in the future, Freedom Hostel would be my first choice of accommodation.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 15 February 2014

Definitely best hostel in Cairo i swear to King Pharaoh. Close to Metro station n lots of restaurants around. Only 5 mins walk to Cairo Museum. Dorm rooms r comfortable and clean, bathroom always clean and 24 hours hot water, Super friendly staff could speak multi-languages n hanged out with us to the local bar around the pretty Nile river. we smoked Shisha under the moonlight made us hard to forget AND we still got breakfast at 2pm even was wasted last night. I can't complain more

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled solo