“An Excellent Hotel in a Great Location”

InterContinental Cairo Semiramis
Ranked #12 of 138 Hotels in Cairo
Oelwein, Iowa
“An Excellent Hotel in a Great Location”
Reviewed 18 September 2011

My wife and I spent 17 nights in Egypt and Jordan this summer. We visited Cairo, Alexandria,
Aswan and the Nile, Amman and Petra. We had a fantastic experience and felt very safe and welcome by all we met, whether in the service industry or on the sidewalk. Our trip was through I Explore and Abercrombie and Kent. We had first class service and were treated like royalty....in other words, we were really spoiled! We used the Semiramis on 3 separate stays totaling 7 nights and would use this hotel again. Very nice rooms overlooking the Nile, with several very good restaurants, nice pool. I only regret not having the chance to see the world famous Belly Dancer Show, supposedly the best in Egypt . Next time, perhaps. I

• Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
marclambert, Manager at InterContinental Cairo Semiramis, responded to this review, 20 September 2011
Dear Mr. BJ Brown,

Thank you for posting your review about your trip in Egypt during June 2011. It was a pleasure knowing that you and your partner did enjoy Cairo and the stay at the Semiramis InterContinental.

My name is Marc Lambert, Executive Assistant Manager [marc.lambert@ihg.com] and I wish to welcome you back at the Semiramis InterContinental in the near future.

Marc

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (317)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Indonesian first
Giza, Egypt
Reviewed 18 September 2011

I chose Semiramis to celebrate my anniversary, and yes I did well choose as from the very beginning we felt that everyone know that we celebrate a very important occasion and need a special way of treatment any one actually celebrate this occasion will understand my words. It is not a resort it is a city business hotel but
they know how to do it!!!!!

Room Tip: "Corner suites are large and sunny"
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled with family
Washington DC
Reviewed 16 September 2011

Just in from three weeks in Benghazi, Libya, I was hoping for he usual warm welcome and pampering one gets from Intercontinentals. Instead, indifference. Though I booked through Priority club and signed up for the ambassador status, and told the desk clerk as much, I was just another customer. The desk chair in my room was broken (replaced today only when I asked them to). Internet: a major disappointment. "Free" doesn't mean free: high speed is $30 a day. And I had to call at least six times to get the low speed running. It's been a problem every day (this is my third day, two to go). The first evening, two important messages I thought I'd sent in fact didn't go through -- I learned a day later -- and I assume it is because the Internet would simply stop without warning. Service in most restaurants is indifferent -- the Lebanese restaurant, where the food is pretty good, being an example, also the coffee shop. The exception is the Birdcage (Thai), where service is impeccable. In general, it's very odd, when you spot an employee standing in your way, they don't show deference to guests but expect you to move around them. They seem to have an "attitude." This is not the Intercontinental I was expecting.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled on business
marclambert, Manager at InterContinental Cairo Semiramis, responded to this review, 29 September 2011
Dear Mr. WestviewDC,

Thank you for posting your review and for bringing to light your experience during September stay. We do apologize for not being up to your expectations as a 5-star service provider; on the other hand, I am glad that you enjoyed the Bird Cage restaurant meanwhile your comment had already been passed to the restaurant team.

As soon as you sent the first email during your stay, we addressed all you concerns on the spot and took actions to your satisfaction to ensure you would enjoy the rest of your stay. We hope that you will consider the Semiramis InterContinental your home away from home during your next stay.

My name is Marc Lambert, Executive Assistant Manager, marc.lambert@ihg.com and I hope to welcome you again in person where no effort will be spared to make you enjoy the InterContinental Experience in Cairo.

Ras Al Khaimah, United Arab Emirates
Reviewed 14 September 2011

While on business in Egypt I stayed at the Intercontinental on 13th Sept 2011. I had previously stayed here in 2009 but this time the room rate was approx 40% lower due to the low occupancy. The hotel is excellent for business travellers, the rooms are large and I had a great view of the nile. In the evening I ate in the Thai restaurant which has recently been refurbished, the food was excelklent and affordable.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled on business
marclambert, Manager at InterContinental Cairo Semiramis, responded to this review, 22 September 2011
Dear Mr. Damian s,

I would like to thank you for your review on the Semiramis InterContinental. I am glad to read that you enjoyed your September-stay with us and you were satisfied with service levels. I will sure pass on your comment to our Bird Cage Restaurant crew.

My name is Marc Lambert, Executive Assistant Manager [marc.lambert@ihg.com] and I am wishing to welcome you back soon at the Semiramis InterContinental where no effort will be spared to make your stay a successful one.

Bridlington, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 September 2011

The check in process was too long and this was using the business check in. I booked deluxe class room for a familly of 4, 2 queen beds nile view. The first room given had 1 king bed and was not a nile view. The receptionist said she would get a single bed put in. 1 double and 1 single for four of us ! I said this was not what I had booked it was a good job I had my paper work because the receptionist wasn't convinced.

On showing the paperwork the room was changed and key cards given. We went to the room but the door would not open. The room was next to the elevators so when I went back to reception I asked for another room to be told there wasn't any but she would call us when we were in the room. The key was reprogrammed but still the door would not open. Back down to reception and this time the key was reprogrammed and the receptionist came with us. The door still would not open so we all went back to reception.

Another room was found on the 14th floor. It took over 45 minutes to get our room and we were the only ones checking in at the time !

When using the lift I noticed that the 14th floor was not a floor where the deluxe rooms would be. On speaking to the concierge, Mustapha, he confirmed this but said he would sort something nice out for us to make up for it.

On returning to the room later the message light was flashing on the phone. There were 2 messages each one consisted of someone just putting the phone down.

On checking out Mustapha saw me and asked if we were leaving for the airport I said we had some trips booked before going to the airport later. He asked if we had an airport transfer which we did and said he was going to get us one not a lot of use at that time.

I asked for a feedback form Mustapha went into the office and didn't come out again. I left the hotel 5 minutes later still no feedback form.

The hotel is looking a little shabby around the edges the pool in particular. The service in the bars and restraunts was slow. The food was good and the breakfast was excellent. The late check out was also very good.

Overall I was disapointed by my stay will look for another hotel if I come back to Cairo.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank PhilH_121
marclambert, Manager at InterContinental Cairo Semiramis, responded to this review, 5 September 2011
Dear PhilH_121,

I read your posted comment on trip advisor regarding your August-stay at the Semiramis InterContinental, and I would like to express my apology for what you and your family encountered during the stay.

I would like to express that what you witnessed did not represent the InterContinental values and service standards with which we are always keen to respond to our guests. On the other hand, I would like to thank you for your comments on food quality and breakfast buffet; I will sure pass it on to kitchen team!

Meanwhile, I wish to further investigate the check-in incident upon emailing me your surname and staying dates.

My name is Marc Lambert, Executive Assistant Manager, marc.lambert@semiramisic.com and I am looking forward to hearing from you soon.

Merida
Reviewed 23 August 2011

Very secure hotel with security filters every time you went inside, very big with a lot of restaurants and commodities the rooms where ok nothing extravagant but ok

• Stayed September 2010
marclambert, Manager at InterContinental Cairo Semiramis, responded to this review, 25 August 2011
Dear Mr. gferraez,

Thank you for posting your review on Tripadvisor regarding your stay with us during September
2010.

Reviewed 8 August 2011

We traveled to Egypt in November. This was the last hotel we stayed at and what a beautiful hotel. I loved the decor and atmosphere of this hotel. It was sad that we could not stay more than a night! We upgraded to have check out late because our flight back to USA was at night which came with free breakfast at their VIP lounge! I am a priority club member and they treated us very well. We shopped for souvenirs in this hotel. The souvenirs that we found in this hotel were very well made and of our liking. I know a lot of visitors get there souvenirs from the khan khalili bazaar which is suitable for your friends/others, but I wanted something really nice to take back home for us. They also have a book store and nice shops to look at. I know they have a club within the hotels which we did not get to see. I would DEFINITELY come back to this hotel and try some Koshary (food)!!!

• Stayed November 2010, travelled with family
2 Thank Rubab786
marclambert, Manager at InterContinental Cairo Semiramis, responded to this review, 18 August 2011
Dear Ms. Ruba786,

Thank you for your post on trip advisor. It was a pleasure reading that you enjoyed your one-night stay with us.
My name is Marc Lambert, Executive Assistant Manager [marc.lambert@ihg.com] and I wish to welcome you back at the Semiramis where no effort will be spared to make you enjoy the InterContinental experience in Cairo.