“Lovely Hotel”

Cairo Marriott Hotel & Omar Khayyam Casino
Ranked #7 of 139 Hotels in Cairo
Reviewed 11 April 2012

Spent 3 nights at the Omar Khayyam Marriott and thought it was wonderful. Is situated on Gezira Island and although you are within easy walking distance of the museum and Tahrir Square, the hotel is really peaceful and an oasis of quiet in the midst of Cairo chaos The bedrooms are big and luxurious and well equipped - the tea and coffee in the room is a welcome bonus . We used the pool and leisure club every day and staff there were particularly pleasant and helpful although service throughout the hotel was excellent. I would also recommend trying a shisha in the Egyptian restaurant - looking at the stars whilest puffing gently was a great experience and very relaxing!

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank susan27_9040
EmyElShourbagi, Manager at Cairo Marriott Hotel & Omar Khayyam Casino, responded to this reviewResponded 17 April 2012

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your feedback on your recent stay at the Cairo Marriott Hotel & Omar Khayyam Casino., we are delighted that you have enjoyed your stay with us. We look forward to welcoming you back to the Palace in the near future.

There are newer reviews for Cairo Marriott Hotel & Omar Khayyam Casino

Reviewed 7 April 2012

Even though I usually like to stay in small family type hotels when travelling so I can experience the local "flavour" I decided to stay at the Cairo Marriott because of my interest in architecture, I wanted to see and experience the decore of the "palace built for Princess Eugenie., Was able to explore the various function rooms which used to be the rooms of the palace and that was a delight.

Stayed there for 3 nights and went back at end of my tour for another 3 nights,.even though it was way out of my price range, I ajusted my budget to fit it in. So I wasn't the typical type of guest the hotel usually has, in that I self catering. .Didn't eat in the restaurants, though did buy some ice cream from the hotel's bakery cafe. Plenty of small restaurants outside the hotel, also a great pizza cafe. Did some food shopping in the small supermarkets and fruit stalls dotted around the streets of the hotel. Also the buffet breakfast had a great selection from which to choose from, to set one up for the day.

Travelling on my own I felt safe and was very well attended to by the staff. After a long day of hot sight seeing, it was nice to come back to the lovely pool and extensive gardens and leave the hussle and bussle of the city behind. The entrance is amazing, just beautiful. Security is tight, with guards and guard dogs inspecting all cars as they enter the grounds.

My room was huge, huge comfortable bed, lots of pillows and had a great view of the river Nile, added bonus was the tea and coffee making facilities, nothing like a nice hot cup of tea first thing and at the end of a long day, without having to use room service. Aso complimentary bottle of water each day. Loved the big sliding doors one could open and sit on the balcony, yes a bit noisy with the honking of the cars, but it is Cairo after all. Bathroom was out of this world, everything in it one could wish for. I could have lived in this room for the rest of my life.

Zamalek is a great part of Cairo to stay in, quieter than some parts and I even walked to the Egyptian Museum. Would stay at this hotel again because even though it is a large hotel, it still felt a little like a home away from home. Maybe I was lucky to have attention of some very helpfull staff who always made me feel very welcome coming and going each day.

A bit of a warning about the cost of the internet, it is so excessive and don't charge it to the room as they put a 12% sales tax on it, even the printing, I was caught big time with this as had to use the business centre on my last day.

But all and all a very positive experience, a delightfull stay and many lovely memories.

Room Tip: The Zamalek Tower has the NIle view
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled solo
3  Thank eexpo
EmyElShourbagi, Manager at Cairo Marriott Hotel & Omar Khayyam Casino, responded to this reviewResponded 12 April 2012

Dear Guest.

Thank you very much for your detailed feedback on your stay at the Cairo Marriott Hotel & Omar Khayyam Casino. We are delighted that you have enjoyed every minute of it and that it was a home away from home for you during being in Cairo. We take our customer feedback of utmost importance and would like to assure you that we continue to benchmark all our pricing against the market even for the internet and updates are made accordingly.

Thanking you again for your valuable comments and we look forward to welcome you back to the Palace in the near future.

Reviewed 5 April 2012

I have been visiting Cairo regularly since 1975. Since the Marriott opened, I have stayed there more than anywhere else. My recent stay in late March, 2012, confirmed that my devotion to this hotel reflects sound judgment. The service, restaurants, pool, fitness room, executive floor lounge, rooms with a river view...all add up to a unique experience. Since the revolution, it is indeed THE place to stay.

Room Tip: choose a room with a river view
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled on business
3  Thank Anthony-Susan
EmyElShourbagi, Manager at Cairo Marriott Hotel & Omar Khayyam Casino, responded to this reviewResponded 9 April 2012

Dear guest,

We are delighted that your stay is always an enjoyable one at the Cairo Marriott Hotel & Omar Khayyam Casino. Thank you for sharing your experience and we look forward to welcoming you back once again to the Palace.

Reviewed 1 April 2012

Marriott claims "Among the premier Cairo, Egypt, hotels, ......the perfect destination for weekend getaways, vacations and business travel." I agree its probably ideal for business - but would not recommend it for leisure because of the insensitive customer service.

It is an ideal time to visit Cairo - the tourist attractions are quiet and there are no problems.
However, you would not know it was quiet from the very average treatment afforded by the reception and other staff.

The positive thing about this hotel is its location - there are number of good local restaurants nearby which are easily accessible if you are prepared to play chicken with the mad Cairene traffic. It is in a relatively safe neighbourhood, with good security
The Palace Al Gezirah element, with its preserved and restored rooms and furniture, is very attractive and the Saraya Gallery staff very friendly. The food served here was good - but with the high service charges added on it is extraordinarily expensive compared with what you would pay outside

And the hotel packed us a very large breakfast box when we left early for the 3 hour check in required for internal flights.

The weather wasn't sufficiently warm for us to use the pool, so I can't comment on this leisure facility. But in terms of leisure opportunities, the theatre was closed and there was no entertainment apart from a singer (pub-singer?) in the tented restaurant in the garden; there was no comfy, relaxing area to enjoy a pre-dinner drink (but maybe this is what you get in a Muslim country - and being Brits, the pub didn't appeal as a concept.)

Breakfast was average and served in a bland cafe area
And because of the Mariott's need to charge, it was impossible to access the internet with anything but a laptop - very old fashioned / out of date. APPLE must be fuming!

I guess our biggest disappointment was the room: not necessarily its location (it was in the ugly high tower but the view partially compensated) or bland décor that meant we could have been anywhere in the world (the result of going with this particular international chain maybe - not always the case!). But it was very cramped because unfortunately we were allocated a twin room which took up too much space. (Considering we were here for my birthday, it felt insensitive that we weren't given a choice or offered a double room - unlike the Movenpick, which offered us a celebratory upgrade).
And having taken a copy of our passports, the date of this event and the fact that this was why we had taken this trip went unacknowledged - not reflective of good or efficient customer service. But this was consistent with our experience of the check-in desk, which was not up to 4 star standards
The other issue was a lack of hyper-allergenic bedding, which meant we ended up with too-few pillows and we were cold at night because of the thin blankets used to replace the duvet. The promise to find more pillows and bedding was never met and no further explanation offered.

If I had been here with work then I would have been more satisfied but the hotel made no effort to make our stay special and with so few tourists around this feels like an opportunity lost

Room Tip: Be more insistent and pushy at reception maybe?
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 1 April 2012

This elegant hotel is a refuge from the chaos of Cairo's streets.
The lanes around it are home to many shops offering genuine antiques from, what seems to be, a long forgotten era in Cairo - the European years.
The staff at the hotel are superb - friendly and very helpful.
I was surprised that the garden rooms offered a better view than the river rooms.
Be careful about any taxi services offered by the doormen though - it is much cheaper to get them to call a white taxi for you...

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank Captain_Condor
EmyElShourbagi, Manager at Cairo Marriott Hotel & Omar Khayyam Casino, responded to this reviewResponded 3 April 2012

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your feedback on your stay at the Cairo Marriott Hotel & Omar Khayyam Casino. We are glad that you have enjoyed your stay with us.

We look forward to welcome you back in the near future

Thanking you

Reviewed 31 March 2012

i stayed there with a friend at the beginning of a nile cruise for 3 days. hotel is clean and silent on the nile isle in kairo, nice neighborhood, breakfast was excellent. good starting point for trips in and around kairo

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled solo
1  Thank vienna1971
EmyElShourbagi, Manager at Cairo Marriott Hotel & Omar Khayyam Casino, responded to this reviewResponded 1 April 2012

Dear guest,

We are delighted that you enjoyed your stay at the Cairo Marriott Hotel & Omar Khayyam Casino. Thank you for sharing your experience and we look forward to welcoming you back once again to the Palace.

Reviewed 27 March 2012

Whenever I go to Cairo now, I stay at Marriott Zamalek and always chose EXECUTIVE rooms and thus I have a great breakfast and dinner in the Lounge. The butlers and the receptionists at this level are truly outstanding. After many visits, they know you and welcome you like home, one feels it has become a family. They truly pamper you and I need not go anywhere else. Chose Gezira tower and always use its entrance , you may check in and out in the executive lounge. Internet has become free of charge in the executive lounge.
It is worth a try!!

Room Tip: Depends on your choice of king bed, twin beds, connecting rooms or not. I personally prefer non con...
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank yasmineGeneva

Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your recent experience with us here at the Cairo Marriott Hotel and Omar Khayyam Casino. We are delighted that you enjoyed your stay within our executive floors and those services that we deliver in both the executive lounge and Gezira Tower.

I do hope we will be able to welcome you back in the near future, to your home away from home in Cairo.