“a hotel that was a king's farook, son.”

Cairo Marriott Hotel & Omar Khayyam Casino
Ranked #9 of 139 Hotels in Cairo
Reviewed 9 January 2013

from outside, Marriott was like a golden palace, The trip to Cairo was a good occasion to view the social life in this old great country. Although i came back there after 21 years, i, really, think it refreshing and enjoyable to compare how aspects can change in a small period of time. In all of my distanced trips, i do this for fun. it will be my cherished field of studies, for i was addicted to the ethnography of anthropology. My first remark, was that i felt how Arab spring revolutions deeply affected the people. Curses were heard, and political comments were made about situation in Syria and on Muslim brotherhood lust to hold power. Second, for my wondering, tourists were a scarcity, neither western or others, but for exceptions of refugees from other Arab countries. third, Stores and popular markets were suffering due to turmoil and shopminders complains about loss in purchasing. hotel promenade was a magical at night, so the swimming pool, service, was slow, but, workers were nice when joking and escorts not bad at all.

Room Tip: pay tips all the time. rooms are too small.
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Abbad O
EmyElShourbagi, Manager at Cairo Marriott Hotel & Omar Khayyam Casino, responded to this reviewResponded 20 January 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your feedback on your stay at the Cairo Marriott Hotel & Omar Khayyam Casino. We are delighted that you have enjoyed your stay with us. We take our customer feedback of utmost importance; please rest assured that all your comments are being considered to ensure your utmost satisfaction on your future visits.

Thank you again for your valuable comments and we look forward to welcome you back to the Palace in the near future.

Customer Care

Write a ReviewReviews (2,382)

Reviewed 6 January 2013

We stayed at this hotel for the first 4 nights of our holiday to Egypt and were very impressed with everything - from the cozy room with an amazing view of the Nile to the friendly, efficient staff who went out of their way to ensure we had a pleasant stay. The breakfast feast was amazing and sitting outside looking at the gardens made it even better. We spent our first day sitting by the pool, after 19 hours of travel time, and it was pure heaven to dip in the pool, sit under an umbrella, and sip on ice tea all day, surrounded by the beautiful gardens. When we ordered lunch, my sandwich came on bread with sesame seeds, which I am allergic to. I explained I wouldn't be able to eat it and suggested I would order something else. The waiter told me to wait a few minutes. He returned a short time later with the chef - and an entire loaf of rye bread. They told me they had gone to a bakery and bought a loaf of bread that they had been assured did not have sesame seeds in it - I was amazed they went to such lengths to make sure I was satisfied. We were in Cairo when there were violent demonstrations in Tahrir Square, unfortunately, and the front desk staff were very helpful about letting us know what was going on and where it was safe to travel on our own. Also, shortly after we checked in to our room, we realized we were next door to a very noisy family with children shouting and running around. We asked for a different room, where it would be quieter and were whisked away to a new room in no time at all, no hassle, and it was very quiet. Our stay was expensive, but worth it, as it was such a luxurious and serene setting.

Room Tip: Get a room higher up for the view. Our room was in the north tower, facing the gardens, and also ha...
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank Calgarytraveller2

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your feedback on your stay at the Cairo Marriott Hotel & Omar Khayyam Casino. We are delighted that you have enjoyed your stay with us. We take our customer feedback of utmost importance and would like to assure you that we continue to benchmark all our pricing against the market and updates are made accordingly.

Reviewed 5 January 2013

This was a good hotel for our recent stay in Cairo. Firstly, we weren't sure about going ahead with our trip due to ongoing political problems in Egypt, our concerns were totally unnecessary, Egypt is amazing in every way, we did see a little of the protests but they in no way impacted on our group or any tourists that we were aware of. The Cairo Marriott is a beautiful hotel, we had 2 seperate stays, firstly on 8th floor, it was a nice room, spotlessly clean with wonderful, helpful floor staff, can't praise them highly enough. The only issue on this stay was the hotel had a private party book out the whole of the garden, pool and outdoor restaurants for a 24 hour period. There were security at every door to make sure guests didn't venture outside, I suppose the hotels are suffering from a lack of tourists at the moment but I found this a little annoying. The other issue is the cigarette smoke everywhere but that is a problem all over Egypt, not good if you have allergies, we did have a non smoking room so ordered room service for dinner on several occasions to avoid this issue. We had dinner 1 night in the JW Steakhouse and found it to be very average and overpriced. On our return to Cairo for our last 2 nights we were given a room on the 9th floor, it was very large, spotlessly clean and also excellent floor staff. If we were to return to Cairo we would probably stay near the pyramids as the traffic getting to the Marriott in the evenings after a day out was terrible. On our return from a day in Alexandria in took 2 1/2 hours from the outskirts of Cairo to the Marriott. Apart from that it is a lovely hotel on the banks of the Nile and a good choice if you want to be in the city.

Room Tip: We chose a Nile view room and were in the Gezira Tower 8th and 9th floors, this was very good. The r...
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled with family
3  Thank LauraWollongong
EmyElShourbagi, Manager at Cairo Marriott Hotel & Omar Khayyam Casino, responded to this reviewResponded 13 January 2013

Dear Guest,

Concerning the day where there was no access to the garden and pool we apologize for this inconvenience but on that day it was Cairo Marriott’s 30th Anniversary celebration party. I would like to inform you as well that our public indoor areas at the hotel are non-smoking areas and our restaurants have a non smoking section.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the palace in the near future.

Reviewed 5 January 2013

Checked-in after Midnight with reservation, no hassle there, but the "extra" offers started to pile-up. Offers such as USD$55 (per day) for internet access and a chance to eat breakfast on the concierge floor. PASS. After informing the rather smarmy desk staffer that all I had was a wireless iPhone for connectivity, I was informed that wi-fi was "not available" at this location and that he recommended taking this generous offer. I declined again, seeing that if there was no wi-fi USD$55 for basically a breakfast was even more of a rip-off. I asked him for assistance in changing my reservation, at this location, to which he sneered - "We do not do that here, you must call reservations". Well, up in the room, lo and behold, Marriott wi-fi was strong and only LEP$86 (or USD$13) per day. That joker at the front desk was trying to rip me off. Lose one star. Our room was clean, with a good view - typical Marriott mid-level, but not 5 stars.

We went to Omar's Cafe for breakfast the next morning. We asked our host for an explanation as to what was included in the LEP$95 buffet, versus the LEP$130 buffet. He explained, "Everything on this side of the room is LEP$95". Everything on that side of the room appeared to include salted fish. cheese, hummus and bread. We fixed our plates with such and were charged LEP$95 that day. The next day, we returned to Omar's Cafe to find a filthy tablecloth at our table and a possibly tubercular fellow dinner (one table away) hacking and sneezing constantly. Seeing that our options were limited and our guide was arriving in 15 minutes, we made a quick run (one plate) of the items we were charged LEP$95 for the previous day. Upon inspecting the bill, I was charged LEP$130 for my plate. When confronting someone who appeared to be in charge there with the controversy, he explained "We made a mistake yesterday. You did not understand us. You ate the larger buffet. Salted fish and cheese are not on the (LEP$95) buffet. We will also correct this mistake on yesterday's bill." Hmmmmmmm. I signed the check with a protest and "frowny face" and we vowed to never return. Apparently senior management read my protest, and shortly after our return that evening, called our room and rather graciously offered to comp us our next breakfast. We declined, damage was done. After being treated that way by the other staffer that morning, what were we to believe?

Do yourself a favor, if needing to be downtown, I strongly advise you stay elsewhere. If needing to go with Marriott, stay at the cheaper, more professional and 5-star JW Marriott in New Cairo.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Mister_Sparkle

Dear Guest,

I would like to first and foremost apologize for the recent experience that you had with us at the Cairo Marriott Hotel. The hotel management is greatly concerned about your feedback. We will address the issues with the relevant departments, and would still very much welcome a discussion with your good self if you prefer. Please contact me on emy.elshourbagi@marriott.com

Thanking you in advance and I look forward to hearing from you.

Reviewed 30 December 2012

Thanks for all crew
From the first time since 4 years , I loved this hotel ,
Staff
Old culture
Room , espically Nile view room
Food , breakfast and etc... Is good
Backyard garden is amazing with great atmosphiere and excellent services
Thanks

Stayed: October 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank Maenaddassi
EmyElShourbagi, Manager at Cairo Marriott Hotel & Omar Khayyam Casino, responded to this reviewResponded 10 January 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your feedback on your recent stay at the Cairo Marriott Hotel & Omar Khayyam Casino. We are glad that you have enjoyed your stay with us.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the Palace in the near future.

Reviewed 21 December 2012

I have stayed at Cairo Marriott countless times over the last 8 years. My visit in December was truly the best as the service was unparalleled. I say this with a heavy heart, as Cairo is suffering from the ongoing unrest. I walked to Tahrir Square in the evening, and every hotel on both sides of the Nile were the same: few lights were on. Perhaps this explains the higher level of service and attention I received on this visit.

As someone who has been coming to Cairo for business or family vacation for 35 years, I recommend those who look at Egypt as off limits because of the scenes on the news take another look.The amazing sights are still there. The people of Egypt remain among the most welcoming, and the food quality and cleanliness is far above what it used to be.

The location of the Marriott Zamalek across the river from Tahrir Square makes it particularly desirable for the squeamish tourist. It is a quiet oasis in a lovely setting away from the noise and bustle of Cairo. At the same time, it is close to all the sights. While the rooms are nothing special, the pool, workout facility, restaurants and casino place this above the other hotels in Cairo.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a Nile view.
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled on business
EmyElShourbagi, Manager at Cairo Marriott Hotel & Omar Khayyam Casino, responded to this reviewResponded 27 December 2012

Dear Guest,

We are delighted that your stay at the Cairo Marriott Hotel & Omar Khayyam Casino was an enjoyable one. Thank you for sharing your experience in Egypt and for the feedback on your recent stay with us. We are continuously striving to update our product and to enhance our customer experience.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the palace in the near future.

Reviewed 18 December 2012

The outside of this hotel is pure grandeur, promising a stay of unparalleled luxe. The experience does not deliver. Service is rather terrible, whether it be an issue with not being able to connect to the Internet, or needing a document printed, or an issue with room service. Everything is too much trouble for almost anybody you care to speak to at the hotel. Rooms are average, bathrooms sub-par. They are roomy, with balconies, and a nice view - but that's all this hotel has going for it, in my opinion. Breakfast is nothing to write home about. Room service well below average (even for Cairo, where room service is generally not good in my experience). On two occasions I received butter packets that had already been opened! It could all have been forgiven with better service. There simply was none to be had. Even my parting remarks to the senior manager (as a potential returning business guest who would have brought in many new clients with me) fell on deaf ears. This hotel is much better located for our offices in Cairo, however I won't be returning. Frankly I would rather sit in an hour's worth of Cairo traffic every day if I knew the Four Seasons was waiting for me at the end of it.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled on business
3  Thank businss_travell3r

Dear Guest,

I would like to first and foremost apologize for the recent experience that you had with us at the Cairo Marriott Hotel. The hotel management is greatly concerned about your feedback. We will address the issues with the relevant departments, and would still very much welcome a discussion with your good self. Please contact me on emy.elshourbagi@marriott.com
Thanking you in advance and I look forward to hearing from you.