“great hotel, excellent location”

Cairo Marriott Hotel & Omar Khayyam Casino
Ranked #8 of 141 Hotels in Cairo
Reviewed 15 January 2014

walk to the end of the driveway to the left across the street, get drinks there, and eat at the traditional Egyptian Abou El Sid or Italian Maison Thomas. Make sure the hotel arranges your taxi tour of Cairo otherwise you will be ripped off. Great Hotel and location.

Room Tip: refuse smoking rooms. If you ask for non smoking make sure you smell the room first.
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (2,411)

Reviewed 15 January 2014

I hope my critique will be taken as a genuine attempt to improve this historic palace in which I stayed so many times at executive level. From the positive point of view, the executive level staff are very hospitable and courteous. We used to have 2 guests free of charge but now one and any extra who has lounge access will be charged LE250 even if no food is served! Special thanks to Mrs El Bedeiwy, Raghda and Sally. Mona who greets you warmly every morning, Medhat who is the dynamo of the lounge who is soooo courteous,swift and professional in his services. Elhamy who is a highly efficient, Ahmad Zaki, Mounir,Masoud ,Ihab, Arafa and Mordy. Those are the people who truly makes me feel at home and their constant warmth is highly appreciated. Mr Amr Abd Galil who is truly outstanding.
Unfortunately though I was received by a trainee (can't be otherwise)upon my check in who decided against my will to block 10 nights off my credit card! His supervisor solved the problem but it is so recurrent and repeated each visit. Once money is blocked and one decides to leave hotel, as I did for few days, your money will take 5 working days to be released! I find this system as simply ridiculous! I am a globe trotter and no hotel blocks money in advance like this!!
I have also noticed that garden service has deteriorated and the cushions placed on chairs are noticeably dirty! Pigeons are obviously active!
I was fortunate with my housekeepers Sayed,Abd El Rahman and Mahmoud who left no stone unturned to keep the room perfectly clean and I felt safe as I leave valuables and their honesty is remarkable.
I believe that some reception staff are not well trained and are not well informed about client satisfaction and client treatment. They are the first impression, the facade and the ones who first welcome you to the hotel! I have had a couple of very sad mishaps which were reported to their supervisors. In this connection I thank Mr Abdel Rahman and Mr Abdel Karim.
I truly hope that my remarks will be taken seriously as I am a regular client who is loyal and attached to this hotel for years now and genuinely care for its reputation.

Room Tip: Don't take connecting rooms ! Your neighbours may be very noisy!
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank yasmineGeneva
Reviewed 13 January 2014 via mobile

The Marriott Omar Khayyam Palace is still unchanged most beautiful and in good shape.Beautiful garden terrasse makes guests forget that they are still in the heart of noisy cairo.Hotel has one of Cairo nicest outdoor swimming pool areas.Both Hotel Room Towers have been renovated and appear nice with Marriott famous most cosy beds.Although these days Cairo Hotels go through more difficult times this Hotel offers a still unchanged most excellent hospitality to its guest by all their staff.Enjoyed it and will definitely return soon.

Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 13 January 2014

I have stayed at this hotel several times over the past few years, and it's always my first choice in Cairo, mainly due to the location. In the middle of peaceful Zamalek Island it is calm, away from the hustle and bustle of the city and walking distance to many great bars and restaurants. You really can't ask for a better location. Most rooms also have a view of the Nile from their balcony.

The staff are super friendly and very accommodating. This time I wanted a late check out at 4pm, and the reception were so happy to arrange it for me and didn't even charge me! Nothing is too much trouble for them, and everything I requested appeared exactly as asked, on time.

Finally, this hotel is an old palace and still has real charm and character. The main lobby and gardens (with cafe's, restaurant and swimming pool) and lovely. This means not everything is brand spanking new, but I prefer that! Wifi works reliably and quickly. However, it really is faded glamour and over the past few years, as visitor numbers have drastically declined, the hotel has clearly struggled to maintain or invest in its standards. It's still very clean and charming, but the bedrooms are looking tired and in need of renovation.

There are also a few small details missing, e.g. I didn't have slippers or a dressing gown in my room, tea and coffee wasn't replenished daily, and despite being in a no smoking room I could smell smoke and the corridor stank of it. The breakfast buffet is also quite small (in addition to Egyptian food there is bread/pastries, fruit, yoghurt, cereal, pancakes and eggs), but adequate.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 12 January 2014

Is located in the heart of cairo, you could basically walk to the museum. You have amazing views on the nile. A bit pricy though but clean and a very high service standard. I think it was a palace before, so the architecture is amazing

Room Tip: Choose a room on one of the top floors for a even better view
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
EmyElShourbagi, Manager at Cairo Marriott Hotel & Omar Khayyam Casino, responded to this reviewResponded 23 January 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your valued feedback, and we are delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us. Actually we are a historical property which was originally built by Khedive Ismail Pasha for the inauguration of the Suez Canal celebrations in 1869. The Palace housed European monarchs, including Empress Eugenie, the wife of Napoleon III, and was also the venue for the first performance of Verdi’s Opera Aida.

Thank you again and we do hope that we will have the opportunity to welcome you back to the Palace in the near future.

Kind regards

Reviewed 9 January 2014

My friends and I stayed here at the end of our trip to Egypt last summer (yep, during all that unrest), and it was a nice quiet place to rest and relax after being out and about in Cairo during the day. Earlier in our trip we met a diplomat from an embassy in Cairo and he met us there for cocktails and dinner. He said that this is a hotel that many in the diplomatic circles come to for an opportunity to socialize. The clientele was professional and the staff was very attentive. They insisted that we take their car to the Egyptian Museum instead of getting a taxi and it was an excellent recommendation--brand new shiny black Mercedes already cooled down, handsome driver in a very nice suit, and it was the same price as a hot, dirty taxi in bad condition. The tour that they recommended for out last day in Cairo was excellent and the guide was AMEX certified and excellent. My hotel room was very nice and clearly had been updated--nice flat screen TV, new furniture, up to date bathroom and so on. I'd like my bedroom and bathroom at home to look like this. Even the shop owners were wonderful-- very customer-oriented and helpful. I was getting 'the cold from hell' and they all had helpful suggestions about the products to get for some relief. The only thing that was a letdown was the options for dinner but I can blame that on the political unrest at the time. There were SO few tourists at the time so one tower with 2 restaurants was closed. The dinner that we had at another of the restaurants was not so great, but the manager took some of the entrees off the bill and sent us complimentary desserts. Ramadan was in full swing, so we had the opportunity to do some great people-watching as the local professionals came out after sunset to break their fast. I'd definitely stay here again and would even feel safe traveling alone if staying here.

Room Tip: Get a room high up in one of the towers facing into the pool and gardens. Quieter and a prettier vie...
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends

Dear Sir,

Thank you very much for your feedback on your stay at the Cairo Marriott Hotel & Omar Khayyam Casino. We are delighted that you have enjoyed your stay with us. We take our customer feedback of utmost importance and would like to assure you that we will deliver your concern to our F&B department.

Thanking you again for your valuable comments and we look forward to welcome you back to the Palace in the near future.

Customer Care

Reviewed 8 January 2014

Excellent place, all staff are very warm and welcoming, reception was very flexible to our demand.
The hotel is in middle of Cairo and had all the amenties which you look forward to it.We had booked 2 executive rooms and they were superb with there private facilities for breakfast and dinner. The hotel is like a palace clean and tidy.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your valued feedback, and we are delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us. We do hope that we will have the opportunity to welcome you back to the Palace in the near future.

Kind regards