“Gorgeous Palace”

Ranked #7 of 137 Hotels in Cairo
Calgary, Canada
“Gorgeous Palace”
Reviewed 18 March 2014

What a wonderful stay! I came here with my brother and parents. Once we stepped out of the car we were just like "wow". The intricate details and decor was absolutely gorgeous. The rooms were really nice and clean, we never used the pool but it looked really nice. There's tonnes of shopping within walking distance, lots of great local restaurants and sheesha places. But the food in the hotel was great too - a bit pricey as expected. Have dinner on the patio - really felt like we left home when we got here. The breakfast spread was awesome as well!

Only small complaint was we noticed about $90 extra on our bill when we checked out for wifi and phone calls. We didn't use either and told them, after getting a supervisor to review the situation they took it off the bill - but it just sucks having to deal with that.

The small shops in the hotel are fun too if you're unable to trek around for some trinkets.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank xoxojho

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (429)
  • Arabic first
  • Greek first
  • Turkish first
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed 18 March 2014

Stayed in the hotel for a couple of nights.. it is very impressive from the start with its neoclassical architecture, its interior décor, furniture, other fittings in the main building gave a very royal feeling to the hotel. It was later we found out it was actually a Palace and newer hotel towers were built around it.. The promenade café with the Palace in as the backdrop together with the surroundings are brilliant settings.. great place to just sit and enjoy a sheesha or a drink..
The check was tedious.. took some to get sorted before were given our rooms..

The room are quite a distant from the check in.. the room was large but it surely needed a refurbishment.. The room quality did not live up the earlier image and standard of quality.. it came with a balcony and view of the Nile but the toilets, furniture, TV needs urgent refurbishing.. Who still uses a BOX TV set ? I could not believe my eyes.. Maybe it has been there since the early 1900s..

The breakfast was superb with a wide verity of fresh selections.. The hotel has cafes and saloons and shops on its compound however it has been priced perhaps for the Napoleons or Aristocrats.. Too expensive..

Check out was a nightmare.. we noted some mistakes on invoice and informed the staff however were given the explanation that was a systems peculiar way of computing bla bla bla.. after a recheck.. a revised invoice was printed without the errors.. no apologies whatsoever by the staff…

I may not go back to stay but will definitely return for a drink and enjoy the royal surroundings of the palace..

• Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
Tucson, Arizona
Reviewed 14 March 2014

We spent 8 nights at this Marriott and used it as a base for sightseeing. Wonderful experience. Great service and excellent safety precautions. The garden is dreamy and a great place to have a drink, a light meal or people watch.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Laraine B
EmyElShourbagi, Manager at Cairo Marriott Hotel & Omar Khayyam Casino, responded to this review, 17 March 2014
Dear Ms. Laraine,

Thank you for sharing your great review. It will always be our pleasure to have you at the Cairo Marriott Hotel as our valued and esteemed guest. We are delighted that you enjoyed the tranquility and atmosphere of the promenade café.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the Palace in the near future.

Kind Regards,

Yasmine El Gammal
Marketing Communications Coordinator
Kinshasa, Democratic Republic of the Congo
Reviewed 7 March 2014

I stayed in this hotel last year and was very impressed with the service and the staff’s eye for details. They are so helpful and caring that it’s really touching. It is probably one of the best hotels I have ever stayed in. I booked online and got a very good deal
The hotel is in a very good location, my room had a wonderful view over the Nile. You have plenty of things to do at the hotel. Small shops, an outstanding barber saloon; one of the best I have ever visited. You also have a very nice pool and a very good gym available for the guests. The room was clean, modern and with a great design. The Wi-Fi was very good when I was there; the bathrooms have a nice design. I found the breakfast excellent; there was a huge variety of food types and the service was superb. I also enjoyed a cold beer and a shisha (water pipe) in the garden one night; very relaxing and pleasant.
I look forward to return to this outstanding hotel

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank Per H
Bourne, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 March 2014 via mobile

I have stayed at this hotel on previous occasions and have always been pleased with the hotel. It has a wide range of amenities and restaurants. Food is of a high quality at both breakfast and the large range of restaurants offered.

Service is a bit too enthusiastic, but not prompt, for example it can take time to give orders, or a long time for delivery of order. Rooms are clean and comfortable, but maybe in need of a refurb.

Like a previous guest, I too noticed bird poo on the cushions on the terrace, however, I saw the covers being changed this morning.

My issue with the hotel is that it is obviously struggling with occupancy during the recent troubles, I would not be surprised if there as many members of staff as guests. As a result, the hotel has fell foul to the wrong type of guest; there are obviously a large number of prostitutes and pimps working in the hotel. I had noticed such activity on my last visit, but it was very discreet and you almost expect it in any large city hotel. But now it is widespread and blatant. I was staying on business, so I was leaving the hotel early in the morning, at the same time as seeing such girls leave, plus have seen them being paraded around the hotel, in a catalogue style fashion.

I'm afraid that this will bring an end to my stays here and will now stay at the Fairmont Towers

Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
3 Thank Aimee S
canada
Reviewed 2 March 2014 via mobile

Stayed at this hotel for 6 weeks. Quick summary. 4 things I really liked: the staff and their attention to details. The staff are one of the main reasons it is so nice to stay at this hotel. The room was kept tidy and clean and the site itself is gorgeous (2 thumbs up for the gardeners - beautiful work). And the gym is super clean. It is small but there is everything. And finally the security is top notch. I always felt safe. 2 things I "less liked": the hotel is not environmental friendly. It does not follow the basics like not changing the towels everyday. Also, restaurants, beauty salons are really catered for the rich person traveling for business. Everything is so expensive.

Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank Canadagirl98
CairoMarriottHotel, Manager at Cairo Marriott Hotel & Omar Khayyam Casino, responded to this review, 4 March 2014
Dear Canadagirl98,
Thank you for sharing your feedback with us , please rest assured that will work on your highlighted point and next time you visit us it will be changed.

Best Regards,
Mosaad Hussein
eCommerce Manager
Hertfordshire
Reviewed 23 February 2014

Cairo is an exciting city and this is a truly relaxing place to stay if you are visiting. I have been staying at this hotel for the last 10 years, usually once a year in October. Having given it a miss last October due to the political situation, I decided to chance it in February despite the media hype against visiting. I have to say it was the best time we had. It was quiet and calm, excellent weather and the hotel lilted up, once more, to its reputation. The key things about the hotel are the fantastic garden, the promenade cafe and the huge swimming pool with lots of sunbathing space. I don't know of another hotel in Cairo that offers this kind of outside space in the middle of the city. The is also an excellent spa and gym with professionally trained masseurs.

The staff are incredibly friendly and hospitable and try hard to please guests given the difficult time they have been through with the drop in tourism as a result of the political unrest. Having ignored the negative media coverage, I am so pleased to have been back in Cairo once again and would recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: Ask for a garden view with a high floor - better views over the garden, the Nile and Cairo