Cairo Marriott Hotel & Omar Khayyam Casino
Ranked #7 of 139 Hotels in Cairo
Reviewed 7 April 2014

My sister had her wedding there. It's beautiful, and it overlooks the nile.

It also has a Nile cruise at night that's very entertaining. The lovely Ottoman looking stair mesmerized me, and the rooms are SPACIOUS! We don't have this kind of spacious rooms in Turkey!

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Sarah A

Reviewed 5 April 2014

Let's face it: Cairo is not one of the world's most pleasant capital cities and this hotel is an oasis of niceness surrounded by grubby downtown Cairo.

It delivers everything you expect of a Marriott, without being outstanding.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank JezAndSonia
Reviewed 3 April 2014

THis hotel has so much to offer - food choices, entertainment, history ... . Efficient check-in, although I didn;t get the type of room I wanted. However, it was spacious and clean, but lacking in power sockets for recharging phone and laptop etc. It was also incredibly noisy when there was an event on in the garden one evening, and despite my call to guest services, they didn't callme back or apologise. Breakfast buffet is excellent, but be careful how much they bill you for. I was charged for a full American breakfast, even though I had nothing cooked and only ate fruit and cereal. The Japanese restaurant was superb!

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Peter L
CairoMarriottHotel, Manager at Cairo Marriott Hotel & Omar Khayyam Casino, responded to this reviewResponded 5 April 2014

Dear Valued Guest ,

Thank you for sharing your feedback on our hotel, we do value all points and we are working on them.

Looking forward to welcome you back again soon.

Regards,

Reviewed 1 April 2014

The hotel is pretty old, not in a bad way though, for sure the rooms could use some renovation (old carpets, bed cloths and square tv boxes), but the feel for the hotel is great, the lobby, the garden and the pool make you feel as if you are back in time. The hotel is clean and the food is good (which is a great plus in Egypt). The hotel staff are friendly but the front desk is horrible, check in takes forever, and good luck trying to ask for anything by phone. If you want to sleep, make sure you ask for a room facing the river, otherwise you will stay up all night thanks to the super loud music blasting from across the pool area.

Room Tip: go higher up for a better view and ask for a room facing the river not the pool!
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank kmiqdadi
CairoMarriottHotel, Manager at Cairo Marriott Hotel & Omar Khayyam Casino, responded to this reviewResponded 3 April 2014

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for sharing your feedback and we assure you that will work on your feedback..

Best Regards,

Reviewed 27 March 2014

This hotel is unique since it was a palace for one of the richest Egyptians. It is really nice and antique, service is very good and breakfast is outstanding. The casino in this hotel is the best in Cairo with no doubt. Location is excellent and in a very classy district.

Room Tip: Ask for a high floor room ovelooking the River Nile.
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank shahir M
CairoMarriottHotel, Manager at Cairo Marriott Hotel & Omar Khayyam Casino, responded to this reviewResponded 28 March 2014

Dear Shahir M,

Thank you for your feedback on our hotel, we are glad that you enjoyed your stay with us and we hope to see you soon back again in our hotel.

Best Regards

Reviewed 26 March 2014 via mobile

I stayed here two nights when traveling for work. It's quite a welcoming flight after you have put up with the Cairo traffic.
The staff were friendly and accommodating. Had breakfast once and it was the usual fare with some local twist.
The terrace is a great location to unwind after a long day.
Would not hesitate to come back again.
The view of the Nile from the room was not bad either.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
3  Thank Portia1972
CairoMarriottHotel, Manager at Cairo Marriott Hotel & Omar Khayyam Casino, responded to this reviewResponded 26 March 2014

Dear Portia 1972

Thank you for sharing your feedback about our hotel, we do value your comments and we look forward to welcome you back again soon.

Best Regards,

Reviewed 21 March 2014

My husband, 2 kids and I stayed for a week. He was there for work and therefore I was at the hotel all day with the kids. First we were charged a different rate from when the reservation was made. That was really irritating.

The palace is nice. But I was really disappointed in the room. It was small! The bathroom was soooo tiny, I couldn't believe it. If you kept the bathroom door open, it covers half the tub. That was an issue for me because I was trying to bathe my kids kneeling on the floor, the door is hitting me on one side and the toilet on the other side.

Housekeeping was terrible. I requested tissues and toilet paper and it took them FOREVER to show up. I had to keep calling the front desk three times before they showed up. Same with collecting my overflowing garbage. It filled up quickly due to diapers etc.

Whenever I tried to talk to the girl at the guest services station, she was chit chatting on the phone. After standing there waiting for 15 mins with two impatient kids, I left.

The executive lounge was good for breakfast and dinner. The woman manager was amazing. She said she could give us coffe in takeaway cups as we had our hands full with two crawling babies and we could hardly finish breakfast as they'd get impatient and start crying or whining. She even said we could take some yoghurt to our room for the kids. She was really sweet.

During our meals, six different waiters kept coming every other minute to ask if we needed something. Pretty annoying. I wonder if they wanted a tip? It was self serve buffet. The last two days there was a different manager on duty and looks like he decided not to stock the juice and yoghurt in the fridges. So everytime you wanted a drink you had to ask a waiter. That was an extremely cheap move.

One day I wanted lunch and went to one of the bakery in the long hallway by the japanese restaurant. I stood there with my double stroller at the counter for 15 minutes until someone finally acknowledged my presence. There were 5 people behind the counter.

Finally the 2nd last day, our room cards stopped working. Very frustrating as to why/how this happened and no answers from anyone.

After this trip and experiencing it, I have to say that people are lazy, so not interested in working or doing anything. Everyone is trying to make an extra dollar here and there. Maybe that is how the culture is, relaxed and no worries, nothing is urgent. I am not being racist because I am an american born arab.

• Stayed: February 2014