“Cairo Marriott - beautiful old palace”

Cairo Marriott Hotel & Omar Khayyam Casino
Ranked #8 of 141 Hotels in Cairo
Reviewed 8 October 2010

My husband and I stayed in the Cairo Marriott and Omar Khayyam Casino twice for a few days each and stayed in both a garden room and a room overlooking the Nile in the Zamalek tower. Both rooms were large, clean and comfortable except the room in the Zamalek tower overlooking the Nile had some street noise even though we were on level 12 as we were near the road overpass going over the Nile. Otherwise we found the hotel to be beautiful and the grounds nicely laid out and expansive.

We ate in the Ristorante Tuscany (which had a small menu but food was ok), the Garden Promenade cafe (which had a great menu and the food was good) and the JW Steakhouse (which the food had a bit to be desired - mince in the hamburger was plain and the grilled chicken was overcooked and dry). There are lots of other restaurants to choose from and you don't really need to leave the hotel grounds.

The rooms were big and spacious and the hotel itself was beautifully decorated with statues and wonderful antique furniture.

There are lots of shops in the hotel and the pool was large and there seemed to be enough deck chairs for everyone. There is a small cafe at the pool for you to order snacks, drinks and ice creams.

The hotel is on the island of Zamalek next to the Nile and to go to the Egyptian Museum or the Khan El Kalili bazaar will be a taxi ride away of approximately 15 - 30EP depending on how much the taxi driver wants to try to rip you off that day.

You cannot drink the tap water in Egypt and you receive 1 free small bottle of water in the room a day and the hotel charges approximately 15 - 25EP for more. Instead you can walk out the main entrance of the hotel, go down the driveway, turn left and walk 2 blocks (past the Vodofone store) and buy big bottles of water at the Mobil petrol station for around 2.50 - 5.00EP as well as other snacks.

All in all it's a really great hotel and a sanctuary from the noise and hustle and bustle of Cairo.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (2,411)

Reviewed 5 October 2010

I loved the look of the hotel it definitely has the Wow factor on arrival. Check in took a while but was handled by our guide. We had a hippcup with the room key. It wasn't activated properly and wouldn't give us access to the lift or our room, had we made it that far. Got it sorted on the 3rd go. Room was a large twin with 2 double beds, but would have preferred 1 queen. Not whining just factual, could happen anywhere and has before. Breakfast was second to none. Fabulous choice including egyptian food, cooked while you wait waffles, crepes, omlettes and eggs any way. Security is high almost like the airports X ray machine, guards and sniffer dogs. We joined an Insight tour from overnight here and returned for 3 more nights. Mid August was still extremely hot and we didn't take full advantage of the alfresco dining for that reason, the grounds are beautiful. We ate in the air conditioned hotel areas, good meals at home prices. Pizza around the corner was excellent and cheap, egyptian prices. Ramadam didn't have an impact on us here, maybe because we were with the tour, not as strict as Dubai. All in all a great stay.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 4 October 2010

Great location in Cairo, excellent neighborhood , wonderful service, excellent hotel, room is great and clean, friendly staff and so close to the nile.
We face a problem with a noise coming from maintenance, it was directly fixed upon calling the front desk.
We expected to have a rose or a romantic gesture in our room but we didn’t find any but that was no problem. breakfast was excellent as we were on B&B.
Lots of security with dogs but that was no problem as they were so friendly and dealt only with the locals which was really comforting.
All in all we highly recommend the hotel

Reviewed 2 October 2010

I've been staying at the Cairo Marriott for twenty-five years. It has its idiosyncrasies, I know, but it's a comfortable hotel, based around an amazing historic central core, and much to be preferred to the various other international-luxury chains in Cairo. The restaurants in the gardens are totally fascinating to a Western visitor - it is just where the whole of the Middle East ends up in the summer, and to sit over a cocktail and watch the gratin of the Gulf walk up and down is one of the great social experiences of the world. And if you get propositioned by one of the oil millionaires, you only need to say no. Or yes. Anyway, Cairo is one of the ten most wonderful cities in the world, we always think, and the Marriott has always been a fascinating place to stay.

Reviewed 2 October 2010

This hotel is fine overall. This is my third stay for business and I find it it is really overkill for me. I think the price is fine, but easy to save money elsewhere.
Check in was quite slow, although the person was quite attentive to me. I ended up agreeing to a business package that was unncesssary in hindsight. The included breakfast in Executive Lounge was nothing special and there was no place left to sit.
Included internet was charged to my bill so I feel that there was some scam that I needed to watch for to avoid these costs.
Staff in hotel were nice and plentiful. Lobby was nice and outdoor areas excellent.
Hotel seems to restrict or maybe ban regular taxis from picking up. I have mixed feelings as I find Cairo taxi are dirty, old and sometimes not trustworthy. The arranged hotel lowest cost car was not of those, but more expensive.
I was disappointed with checkout at 530AM. Not a great experience truly left me with my last impression of the hotel and not a good one.
I saw many happy tourist. This place is great for them,

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled on business
Reviewed 30 September 2010

This hotel was gorgeous with its richly colored facade and large gardens.

The room itself was fine, it was big enough but not huge. The bathroom was very clean but a bit dated. Service was fine - the concierge was fantastic but the front desk was a little slow.

I liked that the room we stayed at had a balcony so we can see out to the river and the crazy Cairo traffic below (but can't hear from the hotel).

The breakfast at the hotel was fantastic, and the selection is one of the best I've seen.

• Stayed: December 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank corky_c
Reviewed 27 September 2010

I stayed in the hotel the week of September 20th, in Cairo for business. This is a very nice hotel, well maintained, clean, and a four star hotel on a US hotel standard.

Because I was on business, I had the least expensive room rate. Even so, my room was comfortably sized and included air conditioning with temperature control, a balcony (but no view), refrigerator, roomy bathroom, ample towels, several movie channels in English, and some work space.

The hotel is build around a guest palace from the mid 19th Century, and elements of its former splendor remain the public hotel areas. The outdoor garden area is lively, but service at the hotel is a little on the slow side.

This hotel is packed with tourists, and getting a quick breakfast in the morning can be a challenge at times. In room Internet comes at a surcharge, which is a hindrance to business guests.

On site restaurants were too American food oriented to my tastes when traveling overseas, and I would have preferred a greater choice of regional fare offered. The last thing I wanted to see at my hotel in Cairo is an American style steakhouse.

Minor gripes aside, if you are planning a trip to Cairo for tourism and want to be sure to satisfied with the hotel, look no further. This hotel clearly lives up to the Marriott standard.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled on business