“Very unpleasant Experience (Car stolen inside the Hotel)”

JW Marriott Hotel Cairo
Ranked #10 of 138 Hotels in Cairo
Reviewed 3 November 2009

I was in a meeting in JW Marriott Cairo on Wednesday and Thursday (21-22 Oct 2009). The meeting lasted from 10:00 AM till 9:00 PM,
I parked my car in the hotel and when I finished the meeting, I found that my left side mirror was stolen.

The car was inside the hotel and they charge almost 1USD/Hr for parking (of course I refused to pay), though, They did not secure my car.

I meet someone in the security (Supervisor) and he said: I cannot protect your car if it is not parked in the basement parking. There has been a long argument about that.

I have parked my car in a place where dozens of cars were parked and there is no single (NOPARKING) sigh at all.

I have met also the Duty Manger, with the same response.
I really wonder what kind of hotel they run in Cairo. This has been a very unpleasant experience to me.

The hotel reply to was that they are not responsible for cars parked outside the parking.

I had raised a complain to the hotel with Number "006 107 377" But they did not do any thing at all.

Stayed: October 2009, travelled on business
2  Thank MohamedEisa

Reviewed 24 October 2009

After reading several reviews on tripadvisor, i must say i was worried about staying at the hotel as some of the reviews don't favour very well, but the hotel is lovely!!

The hotel is as it reads in other reviews quite a way out of cairo downtown (25 mins no traffic - up to an hour with traffic-but taxis are pretty cheap anyway about 70-80 egyptian pounds which is only about £10 strerling and to be honest its worth the journey to get back to the nice hotel) but to be honest where ever you stay even if you stay downtown you will stay need to get taxis to other places as cairo is soooo big!!!! We did get stuck in quite alot of traffic as it does tend to be crazy most of the time but to be honest as long as you allocate enough time to do what you want to do it is actually quite amusing watching the driving they are crazy, not to fast but there is just loads of cars everwhere, also be prepared when in cairo downtown to cross the roads negotiating about 6 lanes of traffic!!

The hotel itself is lovely though, if you have children then there is lots for children to do with a mini water park, and the wave machine is fun, even for the adults.

There are 2 wings to the hotel west and east, west looks over the pool area and east over the golf course, both are lovely views.

The breakfast buffett was very good, with lots of different food for all different nationalites, the chefs will also make you omlettes too.

The restaurants and bars are quite expensive in the hotel but the be honest there is no where else around the hotel to eat and although food was quite expensive it was very good.

There is a free shuttle bus everyday at 8.30am from the front of the hotel to go down town to the souks and museum and then it picks up at 1.00pm to go back and then another one at 7pm to go to the shopping mall.

We went on the Nile Maxim which is a floating restaurant outside the city centre marriott, we got a yellow cab downtown (you can book these at reception but you have to book them 1hour in advance) and then went on the boat, you can book this as a package through reception with your own driver etc, but we thought it would work out alot cheaper to do it alone but to be honest there was not alot of difference in the price.

We did though book a guide through the hotel to go the pyramids, i would highly recommend this, we are both well travelled but to be honest i am really pleased that we booked a guide as he stopped us getting to much hassle, people who were alone were literally surrounded by people hassling them, he also negotiated a good price for us on the camels. Although just be aware that after he did take us to one of his friends shops!! ;-)

The hotel also do a free shuttle bus to the sirport although when we landed we did not know this and got in a taxi at the airport but paid 120 egyptian piunds which we knew after was far to much!!! probably should only have been 60-70. Try and get a yellow cab as these are run on meters.

Cairo itself is not as cosmoplitan as i would have expected it to be, it is a very dirty city due to all the polution, i would probably only recommend going there for a few days to do the sights etc as its not really the kind of city you would go for a holiday but at least if you stay at the jw marriott you can chill by the pool use the spa etc so at least can get some relaxation.

Have fun!

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 17 October 2009

The resort was amazing! It was family friendly and they really know how to cater to their guests. I would deffinatley reccomend this hotel and would love to go back for a short visit some day.

Stayed: February 2006, travelled on business
Reviewed 10 October 2009

The service and the personal of the hotel help us in everything; they recommended us which tours to take and in reference to the hotel everything was exceelent.

Stayed: September 2009
Reviewed 10 October 2009

The hotel had superb facilities and good service,the wave pool was awesome! The kids had lots to do!

Stayed: July 2009, travelled with family
Reviewed 9 October 2009

We traveled from Amman, Jordan to Cairo for a five day holiday, with family also coming from Athens, Greece. The airport transfers, hotel rooms, restaurants, spa, golf course and golf club, the service at all levels was absolutely fabulous! Everyone at the hotel tried really hard to make us have an unforgetably fantastic stay. We will travel back to Cairo in the coming months and we will certainly stay at the J.W. Marriott.

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled with family
Reviewed 24 September 2009

Drove up over 2 days exploring in hired 4x4 from our holiday in Sharm El Shiekh to Giza, after day of chaos in downtown Cairo and desert, (Wife driving as my stress levels too high), we were tired 10pm and finally on ringroad towards Suez.
We found this hotel purely by accident and were amazed to get 5 star treatment at a little over 1200Nok (about 100quid room only). Words cant express the comfort and luxury of the huge room we were given, marble bathroom, massive queen bed (14pillows -my wife counted!) and huge tv. We had a balcony that looks out over the pool area and waterfalls -admittedly they look better at night and I think this is definately more a buisness hotel than tourist - Giza Pyramids for example is about an hour driving away
i read a reveiw saying they thought the hotel awful and smelling of cigarette smoke ?.. I dont understand that statement, the place was immaculate and smelled fresh. (I know some hotels in Egypt dont care). We travel a great deal and have seen good and very bad hotels all over the world, for once Im 100% happy with this one.
We ordered room service for supper and they set up a table and all the trimmings in the room. It was excellent, my wife was over the moon at the standards and service (she can be bit fussy). Most comfortable bed Ive had in ages. We even ordered room service for breakfast - Pancakes,breads,omelettes the works !
Total cost when we checked out - 1800 Nok / £180 ! - Thats cheaper than most 3 star hotels in Scotland ! If this is all a knock on of the credit crisis and hotels lowering their prices then bring it on !! im Scottish and like to keep my cash in my pocket !
If I was on buisness or travelling through Cairo then I wouldnt hesitate - I would be here !

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled as a couple