“Just Ok for a couple days”
Review of Ramses Hilton

Ramses Hilton
Ranked #15 of 139 Hotels in Cairo
Reviewed 9 October 2008

Stayed here for two nights 9/22-9/23. The hotel is just OK, nothing spectacular. The location is decent and the staff is helpful. The rooms were very large, but really need renovating. My TV was barely working, and the channels came through in black & white. I didn't make a stink about it since I was only there for 2 nights and used it to fall asleep to. I had a nice balcony with a Nile view, which was cool. I found that wake up calls are generally not reliable, no matter where you stay in Egypt, and the Ramses Hilton is no exception. Do yourself a favor and set your own alarm using a travel clock or your cell phone.

The bathroom was big, but old and needed an overhaul.

Free breakfast was great and there was a ton to choose from.

If you need a place to crash for no more than 2 nights and they are offering a cheap room, take it.

• Stayed: September 2008, travelled with friends
1  Thank Jackeemd
Write a ReviewReviews (2,582)

Reviewed 5 October 2008

The hotel is not very well placed as it is in the middle of a traffic blackspot. Outside is a row of broken down buses, dangerous looking taxis and carriages being pulled by half starved horses! Please also beware of the touts that hang around outside with a view to bothering groups of foreign ladies!
The hotel need upgrading and re-furbishing. I have stayed at the Nile Hilton and it is much nicer. Staff try their best but are badly in need of good customer service training. They spend too much time talking to each other instead of serving the customers.

• Stayed: September 2008, travelled on business
1  Thank ArabellaLOndon
Reviewed 7 September 2008

Ramses Hilton has a great location adjacent to the Nile waterfront. Staff was friendly, breakfast buffet was good, and Windows of the World restaurant provide a great view and excellent food. Our rooms were quite nice with great city views. The hotel offers 24 hour banking/money exchange. We would recommend it.

• Stayed: August 2008, travelled with family
3  Thank Dan C
Reviewed 31 August 2008

The Ramses Hilton is situated by the Nile near Tahrir Square. It has a grand foyer that always seems to be busy. So after a hard day being tourists in hectic Cairo we came here to relax and take in the panoramic night views of Cairo from the Hilton's bar on the 36th floor. We were there in December and practically had the bar to ourselves. The ambiance was so relaxing and quiet, the staff smiling and gentlemanly. The views of Cairo and the Nile at night are fantastic. With our drinks we ordered meze (baba ghanoush, humus, olives, salami, vegetables and tasty local flat bread). We didn't try their main restaurant but if the quality of the Sharm's Hilton Fayrouz is anything to go by then it should be good. We made the most of the evening, and whilst there, we prepared our trip to Sharm. For me it was the highlight of three days in Cairo. I didn't get to see that much of the city but what I did see I didn't like. I was told I didn't go to the right places so I will return to Cairo and do it properly.

1  Thank hotelstory
Reviewed 2 August 2008

Good location, clean and tidy, nice view from our room. However, considering the steep price (we paid around £250 for a night), the interior of the entire hotel was a bit dated, the wear and tear was quite obvious. If you are paying so much for a hotel room, you are probably a sort of person that expects a high standard of room and service, so the dated interior was a disappointment, and we did feel we paid too much money for what we got. Especially because one night's stay in that hotel could easily feed an Egyptian family for about 3 months; we had no idea how poor the people are in Cairo, and we felt quite guilty for blowing that money on a hotel room. It wasn't even worth it.

• Stayed: December 2007, travelled as a couple
2  Thank BillieK
Reviewed 12 June 2008

Agree with other reviewers that this hotel is in need of an update, especially the bathrooms. For some reason, the shower heads are made for people of 5 ft height, leading me to do some back bending to rinse my hair. Their blow dryer was not very powerful. But the room was spacious and the view was nice. Our balcony was so small that it could maybe fit one person comfortably. We had an early dinner at the rooftop restaurant "Windows on the World". The view is spectacular! You can see the pyramids in the distance. If the sun is still shining, sitting close to the window can be hot. But later in the evening it is very enjoyable to sit by the panoramic windows. They do need to clean the windowsills, it was a bit dusty when we were there. The food prices were pretty reasonable and my companion had wonderful lamb chops. My sampler plate included chicken, beef and pigeon. I really don't recommend pigeon (gamiest flavor I've ever tasted) and the chicken and beef were dry. Breakfast buffet in the Terrace Cafe was quite good.

• Stayed: June 2008
2  Thank igougo2
Reviewed 30 May 2008

I stayed here for 5 nights, and arrived at 2am. Check in was fast and friendly; because of my Hilton Honours card , I was upgraded to a junior suite on the 18th floor. Views were magnificent ; the Nile , mosques, Gezira Island etc !!

The staff couldn't have been friendlier or more helpful; nothing was too much trouble. I was given a bathrobe, and a lovely fruit bowl.

Breakfast was a good spread of international / local food; open at 6am , and a breakfast box on the last morning when I had to leave to catch an early flight.

Crossing roads outside the hotel was the only problem ; I had to grab a confident local's arm for the first few times,as it was a truly terrifying experience ... probably a mixture of Paris/ Hyde Park Corner/New York ,and rather like the dodgems. InCREDibly noisy !

I would certainly stay there again and highly recommend it.

Stayed: May 2008