“Rooms Need Renovating!”
Review of Ramses Hilton

Ramses Hilton
Ranked #15 of 138 Hotels in Cairo
Reviewed 25 September 2010

The major selling point I found for this hotel is it's location. We stay at two different hotels during our visit to Cairo and this hotel had the better location. When I first walked into the hotel lobby, I felt it met my typical Hilton standards for a hotel. But when I arrived in my first room, I was very disappointed. Based on the looks of that room, I would have given it a 1 star. The bathroom looked liked it had not been cleaned and I did not want to walk on the carpet in the room because it looked so dirty. We complained and were immediately moved to another room. This was was slightly better but only went up to a 2 star rating in my opinion. We were going to request a change again, but after seeing the rooms of others traveling with us, we concluded that it was the best we were going to get.

Aside from the rooms, I think the hotel we was nice. The staff was very friendly and helpful. The breakfast buffet was also nice. Another bonus is our room had a great view of the city.

The pictures I have posted were of the second room. I wish I had taken photos of the first room.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled with friends

Reviewed 26 August 2010

I stayed at this hotel for one night Aug 2010. We booked this hotel as a free stay through travel points I had earned. When we arrived we were told that they upgraded our suite, which was a pleasant surprise especially when we weren't paying for the hotel already! We had a King suite on the 19th floor. It was huge. The balcony was extraordinarily large - with the most spectacular view of the Nile/Cairo Tower, etc. Be prepared though - you do hear a little honking...in Egypt they honk when changing lanes instead of signal...and since it is close to the main highways...you can hear it slightly - but the view and location is worth it. There is a fee for internet...$15/15 minutes. The service was amazing though - when I asked if they had an American adapter they brought me a British one...when I showed them my plug they tried to buy one since they didn't have one...but no luck - I thought it was over the top that they made the attempt though. The pool closes at sunset - as do most hotel pools in Egypt. In terms of location, it is basically across the street from the Museum - but it will still take about 10-15 minutes to cross the roads as it's like Russian Roulette crossing a street in Cairo. If you are looking for a hotel that is close to the centre of Cairo - choose this one. You won't find one with a better view or location.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank JetSetterGirl88
Reviewed 21 August 2010

When I'm out of my comfort zone during the day, I like to return to a nice quiet cold hotel after the heat of the street. The Hilton largely fitted this bill. location wise its great, perhaps getting slightly dated. The biggest issue for me was that staff to guest ration was probably about 1:1 on the executive floor - so even having a coffee you get asked x 4 "how is your coffee, how is your coffee." its intended friendly but it can feel a bit intrusive. Great views from this hotel of the city its crazy traffic, nile and you can just about see the pyramids

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank TheEvaluatorLondon
Reviewed 16 August 2010

We stayed at Hilton Ramses in Cairo twice during June 2010 (2 friends travelling together). Arrived early on both trips due to early flights via Egypt Air . The 1st time we booked into our room 2 hours in advance the 2nd time 4 hours in advance with no problems or additional charges. The 2nd time we were even upgraded from a Twin Deluxe room to a Junior Suite at no additional charges , as the Suites weren't fully booked and our Twin Room wasn't ready yet due to our early arrival. Apart from this service that was great so that we didn't have to hang around in the Hotel lobby too long to wait for our room , the general service of all staff in the Hotel were excellent. The Breakfasts in the Terrace restaurant were the best we had during our trip to various regions in Egypt and the Sherlock Holmes Restaurant (also in the Hotel on Ground Floor) , had very good quality meals at affordable prices for a lunch / early dinner.
We especially enjoyed the "Happy Hour" in the afternoons when we watched the Soccer World Cup games live. The restaurant on the Top Floor of the Hotel has a beautiful view of Cairo at night and has a very romantic setting - so typically more for couples and not for family dinners (a bit expensive as well - so ask about prices in advance if you are on a tight budget for the cost of meals and drinks). The rooms in Hilton Ramses are spacious with a balcony overlooking the Nile , which is especially beautiful at night when Cairo comes "alive". Try to stay from floor 12 and higher if you can, to enjoy the best view of the Nile + Cairo City + the Pyramids in the background of the city on a clear day. Some people complain about the noise in Cairo, but if you close your Balcony door in the Cairo Hilton Ramses, you can hardly hear any noise from the traffic below. Cairo is an old City with an "old world" charm , and the Hilton has the same charm even though the inside of the Hotel is very modern.The staff still dress in uniforms reminding you of another era when only Kings and Queens could afford to stay in luxury hotels. Nothing we requested from Room service or required assistance with at the reception / enquiry desk , was too much for the staff and they gladly assisted with advice or what-ever we required like postage stamps / transport / details on where to find basic items we wanted to buy at shops close to the Hotel . So all-over we had a very positive experience staying at the Hilton Cairo Ramses and will definitely stay there again.

• Stayed: June 2010
2  Thank RolinevH
MichelLansen, Director of Operations at Ramses Hilton, responded to this reviewResponded 2 November 2010

Greetings from Ramses Hilton.
Thank you very much for choosing to stay at the Ramses Hilton and for taking the time to write to us. We greatly appreciate any comments made by our guests and constantly strive to achieve the highest quality standards.

Hilton has always prided itself in ensuring that our guests have the feeling of it being a home away from home. Our main aim is guest satisfaction and quality delivery. We do take our guests and their well being very seriously and always hope to meet the guest's expectations.

We are glad to note that you were satisfied with your overall experience. Believe me, it is ratings such as yours that make all efforts truly worthwhile.

I look forward to welcoming you back to Ramses Hilton and any of our Hilton Family of Hotels worldwide in the near future.

With Kind Regards,

Ramses Hilton

Reviewed 15 August 2010

We had a very challenging schedule which they accomodated with great patience and skill. No worries. So helpful, hospitable and anxious to be of any help. Although an older hotel, still very, very nice. A real example of Eastern hospitality! And the view was spectacular!

Stayed: May 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank imatravelbug2
Reviewed 6 August 2010

I have never seen a Hilton with bus loads of tourists pouring in! The lobby becomes extremely crowded with the tourists and their bags. Luckily, my VIP Hilton Honours status allows me to check in on the top floors, but I can see the agony of the fellow residents whenever I enter the hotel.
The building is Old, yet the location and the views are superb.
The Breakfast room on the top floors offers lovely views and on a clear day, one can see the Pyramids clearly and also the Nile right under the Hotel!
The traffic outside is just like eleswhere in Cairo and can be confusing for the first timer. The National Museum is almost walking distance and so are many floating restaurants on the nile.
Overall I can recommend this hotel, but be prepared to be patient.
Manish Joshi

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled on business
Reviewed 27 July 2010

It´s a nice hotel in front of the river!The views are fantastic,the way the people live in this city,it´s amazing to know their lifestyle...near from everything since stores,restaurants and shoping center,get out to the streets and you can feel the real spirit of Cairo!the rooms are normal,great breakfast,nice restaurants,normal and sympathy staff.except the smell of tabaco in the hotel and the noise you can ear from the street,but in a city like this,it´s normal.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled as a couple