“Extremely Ordinary Hilton”

Ranked #13 of 138 Hotels in Cairo
Mumbai (Bombay), India
“Extremely Ordinary Hilton”
Reviewed 31 October 2010

The rooms are in desperate need of up-gradation. This is definitely not a 4 Star hotel. The location & staff were decent but it took forever to get in & out of the hotel because of the extremely narrow driveway. We were in the RH for 4 nights in all. 2 Nights when we got to Egypt & 2 Nights at the end of the tour - the first time around the reception refused to give us a Nile View & stuck us with a City View on the 7th floor i.e. looking into the back of a building. The second time around they did give us a Nile View on the 14th Floor & the view isn't bad at all.. but the over all condition of the hotel left a lot to be desired.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled as a couple
MichelLansen, Director of Operations at Ramses Hilton, responded to this review, 7 November 2010
Dear Guest,

Greetings from Ramses Hilton and thank you very much for your comment.

Concerning the hotel's need for renovation, I would like to inform you that the hotel will soon go through a hotel renovation to satisfy all our guests' needs.

I would like to apologize to you if we could not provide you with a Nile view room during your first stay due to the fact that we only have a limited amount of Nile View rooms available.

Nevertheless I am happy to hear that our team was able to upgrade you to a room with Nile view during your second stay.

I look forward to welcoming you back to Ramses Hilton
The Management

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (479)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Leicester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 October 2010

I find this my duty to inform all you potential holidayer thinking of going to this holiday only one advise DNT GO TO RAMSES.
I travelled on vacation with my wife 2yr old and 9month old sons, thinking Ramses was a known 5 star hotel.
We landed in Cairo in the early hours of 27th Sept about 3am, got to the hotel and were told that check in was not until 12noon, quoting us $360 just for a few hours of sleep RIDUCULOUS!
Luckily the cab driver was good enough to take us to another near by hotel were i paid a 3rd.
Next day early morning 12pm we went back to check in, the receptionist told us the room were'nt ready and we had to wait for appox 45mins, after 45mins waiting in the lobby i must have gone to inquire about 3 times, and this is with little children, pathetic service. Eventually when we did get a room the day had already passed wasting half a day sorting the mess out.
The room was quite good spacious and reasonable for a family of 4.
After a while it seemed hotter in the room, we could hear the Air con on but the room still felt hot, i rang reception and an engineer was sent out to check it. After a few mins he told me their was a fault with the aircon and wont be fixed until the next day, as he was about to walk off i asked him how was i able to stay/sleep in a room without AC so he arranged the reception to call me to check of a room change. For a good half hour no response, after getting tired of the service and poor responses from reception i felt it nessasery to go see the duty manager himself. The excuse they kept giving me was THE HOTELS FULL. after a long haggle the finally shifted me to another room.
The rest of the 2days i tried to keep away from any hassle as i knew the service was poor.
I feel let down with the service a 5 star hotel would give to its guests and i would recomend you think again because the many hotels cheaper and better in Cairo.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled with family
1 Thank anisammar
Johannesburg
Reviewed 11 October 2010

Stayed for only two nights. Had to wait ages for lifts even though there are many. Rooms big and spacious but grubby. I much prefer showering and do not enjoy the stand in the bath ones which seem to be the norm in most hotels. The bath looked dirty even after it had been cleaned. Food for breakfast in the main dining room was good but dinner there was awful. Service in the dining room was appalling. Staff were generally friendly.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled as a couple
2 Thank SuePut
Moorestown, New Jersey
Reviewed 9 October 2010

We felt safe and secure. The rooms were comfortable and clean. We stayed on the executive floor. The flowers in the room and the kindness of the staff was appreciated. We had dinner in the Indian restaurant one night and The Grill on the other, both were good. Breakfast was great.

• Stayed October 2010
2 Thank Jersey856
Lisbon, Portugal
Reviewed 5 October 2010

I stayed for 4 nonconsecutive nights. The air conditioning was always too strong, o the hotel was freezing while outside were 40 degrees. I had to wear a winter jacket to have dinner at the bar. The food was actually pretty good and all the employees were very nice. However, the service takes a long time and the music is so loud that you can't even hear anyone speaking (and you have to pay for the music). Another thing was that the elevator closes when you're passing through the door, so you get jamed and even if you try to push it back it won't open and it actually hurts you.

I spent 15 days in Egypt and this was by far the worst hotel I was in. I don't understand how is it a 5 star hotel.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled with family
Detroit, Michigan
Reviewed 25 September 2010

The major selling point I found for this hotel is it's location. We stay at two different hotels during our visit to Cairo and this hotel had the better location. When I first walked into the hotel lobby, I felt it met my typical Hilton standards for a hotel. But when I arrived in my first room, I was very disappointed. Based on the looks of that room, I would have given it a 1 star. The bathroom looked liked it had not been cleaned and I did not want to walk on the carpet in the room because it looked so dirty. We complained and were immediately moved to another room. This was was slightly better but only went up to a 2 star rating in my opinion. We were going to request a change again, but after seeing the rooms of others traveling with us, we concluded that it was the best we were going to get.

Aside from the rooms, I think the hotel we was nice. The staff was very friendly and helpful. The breakfast buffet was also nice. Another bonus is our room had a great view of the city.

The pictures I have posted were of the second room. I wish I had taken photos of the first room.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled with friends
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 26 August 2010

I stayed at this hotel for one night Aug 2010. We booked this hotel as a free stay through travel points I had earned. When we arrived we were told that they upgraded our suite, which was a pleasant surprise especially when we weren't paying for the hotel already! We had a King suite on the 19th floor. It was huge. The balcony was extraordinarily large - with the most spectacular view of the Nile/Cairo Tower, etc. Be prepared though - you do hear a little honking...in Egypt they honk when changing lanes instead of signal...and since it is close to the main highways...you can hear it slightly - but the view and location is worth it. There is a fee for internet...$15/15 minutes. The service was amazing though - when I asked if they had an American adapter they brought me a British one...when I showed them my plug they tried to buy one since they didn't have one...but no luck - I thought it was over the top that they made the attempt though. The pool closes at sunset - as do most hotel pools in Egypt. In terms of location, it is basically across the street from the Museum - but it will still take about 10-15 minutes to cross the roads as it's like Russian Roulette crossing a street in Cairo. If you are looking for a hotel that is close to the centre of Cairo - choose this one. You won't find one with a better view or location.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled as a couple