“Gem in Cairo”

Ranked #27 of 138 Hotels in Cairo
Johannesburg, South Africa
“Gem in Cairo”
Reviewed 3 May 2011

We stayed at the El Salaam hotel for four nights while we were in Cairo. I will admit that the hotel is no longer 5 star but rather a 4 star but for Cairo it was a haven!

Friendly staff, always willing to assist and aim to please. Breafast was great with a huge spread and food quality was amazing.

Room quality is good, the bed and pillows are the best I have seen, most 5 star hotel dont compare to the sleep quality. Rooms are also huge and well equiped.

The hotel has numerous restaurants for every taste, a casino, a movie house and a bank. All the bells and whistles!

All in all, this hotel is amazing and recommended!

• Stayed April 2011, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (100)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Turkish first
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 April 2011

We stayed at Concorde El Salam for one night as a stop over en route to Cyprus. We had pre-arranged to take advantage of the free airport transfer and were greeted at arrivals upon clearing Customs. Transfer took approx 15 mins in heavy traffic. Check-in was straightforward and the bellboy was very helpful giving advice on trips etc which could be arranged via the hotel,although we had already booked a trip to the pyramids. The room was surprising large considering we had the additional third bed, as we were travelling with our teenage daughter. To be honest the 2 double beds were quite sufficient and the third bed was left unused. The room was clean, as was the bathroom and had a good view of the pool/grounds. We ate in the hotel that night at the Italian, which was surprisingly good and not badly priced. We took advantage of the buffet breakfast the next day, purely because we had an early start. This was the usual hotel fodder and quite pricey, $15 each, with cooking station for omlettes etc, cereals, fruit, breads/pastries and hot selections.
All in all not a bad choice for the one night we had and not badly priced compared to other Cairo hotels, but be prepared to tip a lot which is standard in Cairo !!

• Stayed April 2011, travelled with family
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 April 2011

This hotel is rated five star and its interior is specatcular but beware of their hotel taxi drivers who offer you a tour of cairo for a price. Once they think you have money they entice you to certain parts of cairo and drain you financially through contacts with other members of the community.

The good thing about the hotel was the sushi restaurant and the wine. The rooms are clean and safe. It is a good bit out from the airport and the town and if we did not receive a good deal on the hotel we would not have booked it.

Stayed February 2010, travelled as a couple
3 Thank PaulineC1
Tripoli
Reviewed 9 April 2011

I travelled to this hotel with my family en-route to my new assignment in Sudan. The sole purpose was to give my children some quality leisure time before we move to Sudan. I did a brief research on the net and decided to go with this hotel given some positive reviews. As mentioned, the sole purpose was leisure with the kids and hence swimming was high on the agenda, and before I decided to book the hotel, I had called the hotel from Rome (where we were staying) and enquired about the swimming pools and was delighted to hear that both the swimming pools were heated and that they are open from 9 in the morning until sunset (6:00 pm).
I went ahead and booked two rooms using the hotel’s website and included our arrival and flight details so that a complimentary shuttle is arranged for our pick up from the airport to the hotel, and since I was travelling with children, this was welcomed.
Once completed the booking on the site and ensured that the shuttle request was included in the additional request section, I decided to call the hotel again just to confirm this. I was transferred to the responsible person but no one answered and hence the call was redirected to the front desk who told me that since I included the details on the site, it was 100% confirmed that someone would be awaiting us at the airport.
Now the adventure begins, we arrived at Cairo airport only to find that there is no one waiting for us outside and I had to call them using roaming charges only to hear that “I did not indicate that a shuttle was required” but after a few minutes of explaining this to whomever was at the other end of the line, he agreed to send a shuttle to us. 30 minutes later, the shuttle arrived and we went to the Hotel.
Upon our arrival, we were directed to customer service and we were welcomed by a very friendly lady “Madonna” who apologized for the misunderstanding with the airport pickup etc… and gave us two nice connecting rooms, so I thought that the hotel does care about its clientele.
Our rooms were nice in size and clean but we noticed that the coffee making facility was not setup in one of the rooms and there was no coffee, tea, cups, sugar, creamer, etc… but deiced to let go and we informed the house keeping staff the following morning on to get some philosophical explanation as to why there were not able to do so (claiming that we had the do not disturb sign on the door!).
We had breakfast and the kids ran straight to the pool afterwards only to discover that the kids’ pool was not heated!!! The Pool attendant had me sign a note that we have to abide by the rules of the pool which included “children less than 10 years old were not allowed in the adults’ pool”. When I approached the pool staff, he told me that the kids’ pool is not heated! I told him that when I called before my booking, I was advised that both pools were heated! He then claimed that the kids could use the adults’ pool! He claimed that it was OK even though I was asked to sign the form accepting the rules for the pool!
Never mind, we start the day and tried to enjoy the rest of the day swimming and have a good time and the kids and I went to have lunch in the room and have a brief rest before heading back to the pool at 3:30 pm. At 4:45 the pool attendant started putting the “pool closed signs” and connects the ropes! I told him that I was informed that the pool closes at 6:00? He said no, the pool closes at sunset and that sunset is at 5!!!! Sunset in Cairo was at 6:15 during this period.
I got upset as the kids were very much interested to spend as much as possible at the pool, but I informed them that we would go and do something else. We went to the kids play area (by the pools) and stayed there for a while only to notice that a local kid arrives at 5:15 (after the pool was closed) and the staff brought him a towel and was accommodating all his needs and pleased to have him come.
While we were in our rooms getting ready to leave with my wife, a customer service lady “Basma” called to check on us and how was our stay, so I decided to tell her about all of the contradicting information that I was provided (heated pools, closing times, etc…) and she asked me to tell the duty manager “Tarek” who was also apologetic and confirmed that the Pool should have remained open until 6 and that I should have brought it to their attention sooner etc…. and he would check whether the kids’ pool is indeed heated or not? He said, he will look into all of this and get back to us.
The following day we start the day by heading for the breakfast area and now they tell us that they have no table for 5 and I had to sit on two separate table (keeping in mind that I have 3 young children aged 3, 5 and 7) but I asked if they could join two tables together and they said that they could not! They claimed that this would cause confusion at the restaurant etc… I asked my wife to sit with one of the kids and I would sit with two! What a family holiday! However, and again, the policy seems to be ad hoc and applied according to who is the client and how much tips he/she gives! At that point and after I was visibly upset at the treatment, one of the managers came and joined two tables together and apologized for the misunderstanding.
Have finished our breakfast, the kids again ran to the pool area and we were under the impression that they could stay longer (until 6) but the same thing happened again and at 4:45, the same guy was back with the pool closed signs and when I told him that we spoke with the manager who said that the pool should close at 6!? He said, in a defiant tone, that the manager spoke with him and he told him that the pool closes at 5 and that the manager was wrong!!! By the way, the sign at the pool area also indicates from 8:00 until sunset.
The manager never came back to us with an explanation nor a proper apology. My eldest child was telling me that he did not like hotel and that he did not want to return in the future. I sincerely believe that the whole stay was not worth the money and that we could have enjoyed our stay further if we stayed at any of the other airport hotels.
If you are alone or a couple and don’t care about location, service or customer care, then book this hotel, otherwise, book elsewhere!

• Stayed March 2011, travelled with family
3 Thank Ibbo07
Clearwater Beach, FL
Reviewed 5 April 2011

We took an overnight break in Cairo on our way to Uganda. The Concorde was a great choice for an overnight stay: close to the airport with free transportation, a good choice of restaurants, comfortable rooms and reasonable prices. They also have entertainment if your schedule permits

• Stayed September 2010, travelled as a couple
Poland
Reviewed 26 February 2011

The Concorde El Salam offers a reasonable price stay, not far from the airport. The rooms are big, well equipped, soundproofed from the outside noise and comfortable. The hotel has a few restaurants, the Italian one was is particularly good. The staff is helpful and communicative. I recommend it to business travelers who have limited budget and want to stay in a nice hotel near the airport.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled on business
1 Thank AncientMarinerPL
Copenhagen, Denmark
Reviewed 6 February 2011

Terrible hotel, staff and location.
When we arrived the reception tried to give us not the room we have paid for. As we have paid for a executive room with pool view, but wanted to give us an ordinary room with garden view.
Tried to steal from me at several occasions, at the restaurant where the bill was doubled. And after discussions with the staff, they corrected the bill. We have paid for Internet package, so the Internet access should be free, but no they wanted 90 Egyptian pound for one hour!
When you want a taxi, they wanted 4 double the rate.
When we checked out, the reception wanted to steal again by wanting 100 $ more per night for the room. So luckily I have printed out the reservation details and the room rate.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled with family