“Very bad staff”

Concorde El Salam Hotel Cairo by Royal Tulip
Ranked #26 of 138 Hotels in Cairo
Reviewed 12 January 2014 via mobile

I was there due to delay in my flight and hotel was good but the staff and management they do not know how to deal with the customers they insist that I took some items from minibar and this is not true at all.
They have a receptionist called Mostafa and he is dealing with us with very bad hotel and also his duty manager.
Really I am so depressed from the way they deal with the customers.
I visited too many countries and too many hotels but I never thought that such 5 star hotel looks so bad like this.
No experience how to deal with customers.

Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
Sakina A, Guest Relations Manager at Concorde El Salam Hotel Cairo by Royal Tulip, responded to this reviewResponded 2 February 2014

Dear Valued Guest,

I would like to thank you for taking the time to review Concorde El Salam Hotel Cairo following your recent stay with us.

Our goal is to anticipate and exceed our guests' expectations, and it is through your positive and constructive feedback that we are able to constantly strive to improve our products and services.
I am sorry to learn about the shortfalls accrued during your stay, especially about the attitude of the receptionist, but please rest assured that your comment had been taken seriously in consideration by the hotel’s Management.

Once again, please receive my heartfelt thanks and I look forward to welcoming you back to our hotel in the near future.

Reviewed 7 January 2014

Nice hotel, with very nice staff..they offer free shuttle bus to the airport, every hr, very helpful..the front office guys, super..polite, professional and funny..we told them in advance that is our honeymoon, and they placed in our room a nice cake, with their compliments..nice touch..we were in other hotels around the world, with this occasion, and they didn't put in the room not even a flower..thank you..The rooms are clean, with comfy beds..They have horse club, where you can ride in a very large paddock..Thanks to Captain Sayeed and his staff, we had a nice time..
Would we stay again..Yes, definitely..
Thank You.

Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear Valued guest,

Warm Greetings from Concorde El Salam Hotel Cairo.

Thank you very much for your visit and for taking time to share your experience with the readers of Tripadvisor

We are delighted to know that your stay was enjoyable and that you were pleased with the level of service offered by our staff, it is a pleasure to read your appreciative words about the front Office staff, I will be sure to convey your kind compliments to them. We are proud of our employees who take extra steps to ensure that our guests' needs are met, and who provide the quality of service we promise.

Our very best regards from Cairo from the entire team of Concorde El Salam and we do look forward welcoming you with us again in the near future.

Reviewed 5 January 2014 via mobile

Our 4-night stay here was very comfortable and very enjoyable. The hotel is a little but far from the centre of Cairo, but almost makes up for it by being just 10 minutes from the airport (with a free hotel shuttle bus), and having so much on-site — six good restaurants and cafés, a great pool, horse riding, a (small) gym. The staff are friendly, the rooms are clean, everything works well. The only criticism I'd have is that the wi-fi, while free, is very slow and keeps logging you out, so if you're trying to do some work it using Skype you have to log back in again using an 8-digit PIN number you'll never remember!

Overall, though, I'd very much recommend this hotel.

P.S. With regard to the Egyptian reviewer a few reviews back who felt badly treated, was asked for a marriage licence and a $600 blocking charge on his credit card bill: I can confirm that we are not Egyptian and we were not asked for a marriage licence (we've been married for 20 years and no one has asked us for one yet so we don't carry it around!) and the credit card block on our stay was $100.

• Stayed: December 2013
1  Thank smacca7
Sakina A, Guest Relations Manager at Concorde El Salam Hotel Cairo by Royal Tulip, responded to this reviewResponded 23 January 2014

Dear valued Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to review CONCORDE EL SALAM HOTEL CAIRO following your stay with us.

We are delighted to learn that your stay was enjoyable and that you were pleased with the level of service and facilities offered by our hotel.

I am sorry to learn about the internet issue accrued during your stay , but please rest assured that your comment had been taken seriously in consideration by the hotel’s Management and a decision was taken to change the internet provider company in the near future to avoid such problem again.

Once again, please receive my heartfelt thanks and I look forward to welcoming you back to CONCORDE ELSALAM HOTEL CAIRO in the near future.

Reviewed 29 December 2013

Veery propper five star hotel, affordable for non 5 star budget clients.
Had all we needed and liked, friendly staff, great breakfast alread from 4.30 a.m. on... 10 min by free shuttle from the airport

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
Sakina A, Guest Relations Manager at Concorde El Salam Hotel Cairo by Royal Tulip, responded to this reviewResponded 14 January 2014

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to review CONCORDE ELSALAM HOTEL CAIRO following your stay with us.

We are delighted to learn that your stay was enjoyable and that you were pleased with the level of service offered by our hotel

Hope to welcome you back very soon whenever your travels bring you to Cairo

Reviewed 21 December 2013

I stayed in the Concorde and the hotel was wonderful. But I had a terrible experience with the taxicabs that are allowed by hotel management to pick up guests. I wanted to see the Pyramids. I asked the concierge for a taxicab and I told him to drive me to the Pyramids. Instead the driver took me to a crime-mafia infested village beside the Pyramids and delivered me to his mafia boss. It was a scary experience to see the cab intercepted a number of times at the entrance to the village by thugs. The driver utters the name of the mafia boss and the thugs let us proceed. I found myself with my wife in a very precarious situation. I was asked for 1000 pounds for a carriage tour of the Pyramids that I didn't really want. I didn't know if I could have refused or what would have been the consequences if I did. In this village you feel in real danger. There was no sign of the police or authorities. I played it safe by bargaining the boss down to 800 pounds, but I couldn't understand how can the hotel allow a taxicab connected to such schemes pick up hotel guests? Only taxicabs registered with the hotel are allowed to pick up guests. The carriage was extremely uncomfortable and was driven against the traffic in the major Pyramids road, which was the only way to exit the village to the real Pyramids. If you want to see the pyramids be aware of this taxicab scheme. Tell the concierge that you don't want to be driven to Nazlet El Samman, where the mafia resides. Taxi driver name was Mahmoud Al Samman. He bragged that the village was his birthplace.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Bill E
Sakina A, Guest Relations Manager at Concorde El Salam Hotel Cairo by Royal Tulip, responded to this reviewResponded 6 January 2014

Dear Valued Guest,

I am sorry to learn about the bad experience accrued during your trip to the Pyramids, I ensure you that the hotel was not aware about the suspicious behavior of that taxi driver, otherwise we will never deal with him or allow him to put the hotel guests in such scary situations.

Reference to your compliant, the case was handed to the Tourism police and the hotel's security manager for investigation, and that driver was strictly prevented from entering the hotel at all. So we do kindly ask you if you could contact us directly on the hotel's email address to give us some information that could help on the investigation process.

Once again, please receive my heartfelt apology and I look forward to hear from you soon.

Reviewed 26 November 2013

I stayed with my family a wonderful stay at this hotel . I will bring my family again . the staff made us feel home . room service staff was very helpful smiley faces everywhere I enjoyed the indian food very much they have an indian chef . mostafa and nada from the reception was very helpful . shisha at testa rossa was amazing . excellent breakfast buffet .

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
Sakina A, Guest Relations Manager at Concorde El Salam Hotel Cairo by Royal Tulip, responded to this reviewResponded 22 December 2013

Dear Valued guest,

Thank you for your kind comments and for staying at Concorde El Salam Hotel Cairo during your recent visit to Cairo.

It is very rewarding to know that we have succeeded in making your stay a memorable one and that you were pleased with the level of service offered by our staff, your comments have been communicated to both of Nada and Mostafa.

So, on behalf of our entire staff here we would like to thank you and we hope to see you again whenever your travels bring you back to Egypt.

Reviewed 25 November 2013

I stayed three nights in the hotel and it was a fair experience. I got a good price from Expedia but after the taxes and all additions it amounted to around 100 USD a night, which is much near price for a much better room at Fairmont Heliopolis. The hotel is renovated so the room and the bathroom are fine but old style so you can clearly see that in the accessories and the old phone in the bath. The room was clean with a king size bed. Room service was fine however, they offered one small water bottle for two guests!!! In the third night, no water bottles at all, not even the small one that we usually get. The hotel has good facilities to offer and I would advise using the café (Test Rosa), good environment and good service.
A major issue in this hotel is its staff attitude. Being an Egyptian, I somehow understand that they treat tourists in a better way or different standards, which is completely unacceptable. I booked, as any international tourist, through Expedia and paid the same price. At the Check in, the hotel receptionist (Mohamed) asked me for the marriage certificate, even though I submitted an international (Not Egyptian) passport. I gave him the marriage certificate and he disappeared in a back room for two minutes then came back, took a copy, then returned it to me. He gave me the room key and asked if I am paying cash or credit, I said credit and gave him my CC. He informed me that he would take an authorization for 600 USD, which is double the accommodation price. I requested a clarification on why would he take an authorization for that amount ad he said that these are the “rules” if I want to order any additional food or beverages in the hotel. I responded by explaining that this is not the regular process and you just get an authorization of the card and when I check out, you settle the overall balance. I would not accept holding that amount, as my bank would freeze it for a month. His manager, Mr Hany, argued otherwise stating that he is working for 30 years and he knows better, what an attitude!!!!!! At the end, I also requested a clarification for requesting the marriage certificate and whether they do this with all tourists and the response was, of course NO it’s just because I am EGYPTIAN. I responded by saying but how you know that, I gave you an international passport… they responded, cynically, from your accent!!!!
ATTITUDE is a big issue here, especially if you are Egyptian… Different treatment is all around from the security and research of your car, no parking spaces reserved for residents and you have to beg the parking person to get a space for your car at the far end by the Ethiopian airlines office, searching you at the hotel entrance and the Reception staff treatment. This was second, and certainly last, time to stay in this hotel. If you are an Egyptian BEWARE!!!! If you are a torist, there are few better ones at the same price and I personally recommend Fairmont Heliopolis. The only good initiative came from the guest relations manager, at checkout when she tried to speak to me to understand what was the issues with my accommodation, too late lady….I also would like to add that this attitude has been reported before, read previous reviews, and the hotel responded (Ms. Sakina) with no change whatsoever. NO HOPE in this hotel and its reception staff….

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
5  Thank EgyptianJudge

Dear Valued Guest,

It is through your positive and constructive feedback that we are able to constantly strive to improve our products and facilities.

I am sorry to learn about the shortfalls accrued during your stay, and I am sorry about the attitude of some of the hotel staff, but please rest assured that your comment had been taken seriously in consideration by the hotel’s Management.