“Adequate”

Golden Tulip Flamenco
Ranked #44 of 139 Hotels in Cairo
Reviewed 2 May 2012

We stayed in this hotel for 5 nights and we were rather disappointed with the overall quality of the stay.
The breakfast was fine, although things like butter or rolls ran out from time to time and it was often hard to get a second coffee. Fortunately I knew the Arabic for butter, and spotted the chef, or I may have had to do with dry bread.
It was hard to get a smile from the waiters and waitresses, which is so unlike my experience of the rest of Cairo and Egypt, that one wonders why it should be so.
Our room was a bit dark and very, very drab. The bathroom and linen were clean, but the carpet and the furniture were very grimey.
We were glad not to be staying longer, but having said that, the location was good and I did find the reception staff friendly and helpful when I had questions.
Be aware that the upstairs restaurant has closed permanently, but food can be found if you are desperate to eat at the hotel.
Around the hotel there are a number of good coffee bars and places to eat not too far away, so good to try these out and get some really friendly responses too.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 18 March 2012

We visited Cairo in November 2011, Tahrir Square was up in flames then but though we could sense some suppressed tension, Zamalek seemed peaceful. The hotel first tried to put us in a room lower than the category (these rooms are small and run down, though the price difference between standard and superior rooms was not much) we had booked ourselves but changed readily when we pointed out their mistake. This room was big -- it was actually a suite -- with a view of the city and Nile from the balcony. The rooms are slightly old, musty but comfortable. The breakfast is standard. Wireless was free and fast. The hotel is in a nice area, taxis are easily available, there are a quite a few restaurants around. The American University of Cairo bookstore is a 10 min walk from the hotel and is a nice, small and cosy bookstore.

Room Tip: Go for the superior rooms which are slightly more expensive compared to the standard but are way lar...
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 15 March 2012

We stayed 4 nights in this hotel, presented as 4 egyptian stars...
Let's start with the pro: the location, in zamalec, very central and quiet area
The cons:bedrooms horrible and very dated, carpet filthy and stained, window not closing knowing it was 14 degres outside (february)
Bathroom full of mould, bottom of the bathroom door roten with the humudity, toilet paper rolls black on the side...
Staff: except 1 man at the reception desk, everybody was looking like not happy to work here.
Breakfast now: it was the worst: coffee just disgusting, buffet horrible including the juices, service incredibly unfriendly.
I'm smoker but having people smoking like firemen next to you at 7am, when you tried to swallow something , it was too much
Honnestly, unless your other option is too sleep in the street, don't go there

Room Tip: no good room
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank 182tara04
Reviewed 14 March 2012

I loved this hotel!I stayed here for three weeks (with a little excursion to Dubai included) and it really felt like my home at the end of my stay.

I am not a fan of 5 star hotels. Why? Atmosphere is too stiff, food (well, everything!) is pricy, they are often located remote, interior looks the same everywhere, the taxi´s outside are expensive.

Atmosphere in Flamenco (with it´s four stars) are relaxed and warm, food is great (didn´t get food poisoned even once! Wich is rare in Cairo) location is perfect.

It was the first time I stayed in Zamalek area, Mohandessin use to be my water whole. I usually used to frown upon Zamalek, as too "Cairo Light".

But i didn´t understand how comfortable it is with "Cairo Light"! Zamalek is very convenient, specially if you are a first timer in Cairo. Almost everyone speaks english, pubs, restaurants and night clubs are mostly in walking distance or a short taxi ride away. If you want to go down town it is very close, maybe 5-7 minutes if traffic is descent. (means: early mornings, late nights and fridays)

Just around the corner, there is a Metro Supermarket (open 24/7) , perfect to buy your water bottles, fruit and breakfast (if you overslept that). In Metro there is also an ATM machine. You can also find money exchange, a small mall, a place where you can make photo copies, and much more, just outside the hotel. If you pass Metro and just walk straight ahead a couple of 100 meters, you come to a very nice restaurant, Five Bells, with a beautiful big open air restaurant.

Staff was very helpful, we got an upgraded room without asking, we got an extra bed without any extra charge and we could store our luggage while going to Dubai. We had a room with Nile View (recommended), with a big balcony where you can sit and watch the Nile float by and hear the muazzein calls from the Imbaba mosque just across the river.

In the hotel there is a small bar beside the reception (where also Cairenes go for a beer) , and two restaurants, one is a tapas restaurant at the top.Probably it has a fantastic view, shamefully I never went there, as we used room service mostly.

I will not say anything about the service, because if you are in Egypt, you can´t expect the service to be like in Europe or USA. For being in Egypt, it was good, anyway.

Bring your own kettle,coffee and tea bags, they don´t have that in the room, even if they say so at the website.

If you want to relax at the poolside, chose another hotel. But if you want to live in the heart of Cairo, in a warm, relaxing atmosphere with city life, restaurants, shopping and bars just around the corner, Flamenco hotel is the perfect choice, and from now this is my own "Chelsea Hotel" of Cairo!

Room Tip: Chose one with balcony and Nile View
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled with friends
Reviewed 9 March 2012

I stayed only for 2 nights! I had a great stay! Even though I had booked for a single room, they put me in a double room -and it was quite spacious with a nice wardroab, desk, minibar, an excellent super clean bathroom and a window (Nile View!)
The staff was very friendly and polite.
Due to my heavy programm I couldn't try the breakfast, but some friends who stayed there before told me it is rich and very nice!
Located in a safe area in Zamalek, you can reach everything in a few mins by taxi!
I was very happy by Flamenco Hotel. Would stay there again!

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled solo
1  Thank VasiaAthens
Reviewed 27 February 2012

Reviews of this hotel were mixed, but we were impressed. The rooms were very clean and comfortable, the breakfast buffet was yummy, and the staff at the front desk were helpful about organising excursions. The hotel has a few drivers and we took two excellent day trips to various pyramids with Ibrahim. The location is great for restaurants, and there is a well stocked grocery store around the corner if you just want a snack in your room.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Monica W
Reviewed 25 January 2012

nice renovated rooms, nile view, great breakfast included and pleasant staff......

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled on business