“Think run down motel 6” 2 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #41 of 139 Hotels in Cairo
Iowa
“Think run down motel 6”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 April 2008

It's a place to rest your head I guess. This hotel was OK but nothing special. We paid for a superior double. I'd hate to see a regular double. Here in the states it would be a high 1 star or low 2 star. Even in Cairo it's no better than a 2. I saw the Marriott, THAT is a 5 star hotel.

• Stayed March 2008, travelled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (56)
london
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 March 2008

I stayed at the Flamenco Hotel in March 08 for six nights. After reading the reviews of the hotel, i was hesitant. My expectations were met more than i imagined.

The hotel was well located in Zamalek. Close to all the necessary amenities and walking distance to countless eateries. A short taxi ride to Downtown(traffic permitting!)

The hotel itself was not the most luxurious four star id ever stayed in but the staff were much friendlier and genuine than some four star hotels. The room was clean and aired everyday we came back from our long day of travelling around. There was constant hot water, clean sheets and towels, comfortable bed and pillow and clean balcony with great view of the Nile. TV was international with CNN, BBC World and Al Jazeera English as well as a channel with international movies in English. Breakfast at the hotel was absolutely filling and worth every penny i spent on the room. The waiters and waitresses were always just a few steps away, ready to fill up your cup with tea or coffee. I commend the hotel for the wide choice of tasty international food.

What i loved most about the hotel was their accommodation of my partner and myself. His flight arrived at 5am, and though the hotel was fully booked, they got him a room almost immediately. My flight got in at 11pm, so i was very happy my partner didnt have to wait for 6 hours to get a room.

Thank you Flamenco Hotel for making our stay very enjoyable and memorable. It was always comforting coming back to the friendly and smiley face of the concierge and guard, after a long day.

• Liked — Friendly staff and breakfast buffet
  • Disliked — the temperamental air-conditioning that was not always cold
  • Stayed March 2008, travelled as a couple
1 Thank rabisco
The Netherlands
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 March 2008

I arrived late the first night. The next morning I took a shower, but I found no cold water at the 12th floor. Sometimes it was good for a few minutes and after a while it turned burning hot again. I had to complain 4 days, after which I got another room at the 8th floor. Here the shower was a lot better.

I was in Egypt to meet my fiancee. We went to my hotelroom to bring a package upstairs. The plan was to be there for only 10 minutes because we needed to go out for an appointment again. When we stept into the elevator a hotel employee followed us till the 12th floor.
The phone rang and and the man asked if there was a visitor in my room, so I said "yes". He ordered her to leave, so I obbeyed (We should be there for 10 minutes anyway). After another minute he called again: she is still in your room and she has to leave. When we were in the elevator again the same spy escorted us downstairs. I complained at the lobby about what happened, but they were only smiling.

When I moved from the 12th to the 8th floor I forgot the charger of my cellphone at the 12th floor. The next morning I asked for it, but it was stolen already.

I asked for discount when leaving, but that was absolute impossible.

All together I'm very disappointed about the treatment in this Golden Tulip hotel. The rooms are OK, but the service is that bad that it ruined my holiday. Golden Tulip: thank you...

Stayed February 2008
1 Thank jangroningen

Travellers are raving about these Cairo hotels

Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 March 2008

Our small group stayed in Flamenco hotel for 4 nights. Hotel has some pleasant character and it is located in a green Zamalek area. The immediate hotel surrounding is fine for Cairo where you can actually walk around a few blocks to find some convenience store, coffee shop, etc. ATM machine is just outside hotel by the entrance of the grocery store that is hidden in underground. For a tourist this location might be far from major attractions but anyway you would have to take either a taxi or your tour mini-bus. The traffic in and around Cairo is so horrible that it would not really matter where you stay. Originally we were considering staying either at Giza or at airport area but it would have left us without feeling of the city itself. Besides, there are traffic problems both in Giza and at the area closer to the airport.
Our room was on 5th floor at the corner of the building and it had a semicircular arched den with windows towards Nile and view of some beautiful mosque on the other side. Room was large, plenty of extra furniture and a cute oriental divan. Regardless that some renovation might be due soon, our room was very-very clean and retained some sort of style and character. Everything was functional. Although Flamenco hotel is not a modern total luxurious hotel but thanks to this fact it is not faceless and not unmemorable.
Buffet breakfast was fresh, good and abundant. We easily survived our full day sightseeing till the dinnertime after this breakfast. Waiters were cheerful. Our group had one pre-fix seat down dinner in the hotel restaurant on 2nd floor and it was very nice. Front desk was efficient and polite.
Bring your earplugs for a comfortable night sleep. I believe street noise will be problem everywhere in Cairo.

• Stayed February 2008, travelled with friends
1 Thank kf59traveler
Karlsfeld, Germany
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 March 2008

Frontdesk needs training - they are extremly slowly and unefficient.

Pay attention - rooms below 8th floor are ugly and old and rooms above 8th floor are good. 8th floor itself is under renovation.

Breakfast is not bad, but they need somebody who can cook eggs properly.

Location is perfect!

• Liked — rooms above the 8th floor
  • Disliked — Check-In, service, elevator is constantly broken
  • Stayed March 2008, travelled with friends
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
Tokyo
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 January 2008

Spent 1 night on 11th floor on side opposite Nile. Street noise was unavoidable until about 2am.

Room appeared to be renovated because there were dried drops of white paint on some furniture and inside bathtub. The bathroom trash can had not been emptied, so that was an unpleasant surprise. The complimentary bar of soap had obviously been used and put back in the box. The bottles of shampoo and lotion were half used.

Never try to drain the bathtub and flush the toilet at the same time. It overwhelmed the floor drain which flooded the bathroom floor.

When I checked in, I asked the cashier to break a 100 EP, but was turned away because he had no change. Came back about 30 minutes later to try to break a 50 EP, but no luck for the same reason. Odd because this time, guest in front of me was buying USD$ with a big wad of EPs. I gave up, but the next day when I was checking out, another guest was trying to break 50 EP for the third time. She was getting frustrated.

Took 3 tries to get password to use hotel's Internet WiFi. Once on the phone and twice in person.

It should not be this much work to be on vacation in the "upscale" part of Cairo. No offense, but when I travel in the Middle East, I lower my customer service expectations. This time even that did not work.

I would not stay here again or recommend to anybody I like.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Lack of customer service and dirty room
  • Stayed January 2008, travelled solo
2 Thank TokyoBob1975
san francisco area
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 January 2008

Great location, excellent excellent breakfast (we ate so much that we skipped lunch on all 3 days here), good rooms and friendly service. Some of the rooms haven't been renovated, so make sure to ask for one that has been upgraded. Tours out of the hotel were a little pricey, just grab a cab down the street to get to places.

• Stayed November 2007