“recommended with some conditions...”

Golden Tulip Flamenco
Ranked #39 of 137 Hotels in Cairo
Amman, Jordan
“recommended with some conditions...”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 February 2013

I stayed 5 days in this hotel, my trip was combination (holiday + business) trip, I spent this period with friends and we enjoyed our stay there.
let me tell you something about Flamenco hotel

if you are not a big fan of 5 star hotels or let’s say you can not afford it (it happens to us sometimes ) or you don’t care about 5 star hotels in Cairo then this hotel is your best choice ever, the hotel location is amazing, which is one of the advantages of this hotel, the hotel located in the heart of Cairo in a very nice area (Zamalk) the one i do like the most in Cairo.

as for the hotel itself, services, food, room everything is average but you can enjoy your time there im sure but, the price is good not expensive.

one tip, I think the superior room should be nice with Nile view (I stayed in standard room but I saw one of the superior room)

recommended with some conditions as I said above.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled with friends
3 Thank ShadiALBESS

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (56)
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 February 2013

Well placed in the isle of Zamalek, clean, efficient. Warm hospitality, efficient and solicitous service. Plenty of space in the rooms, comfortable, new and clean bathrooms. Free wifi. Good breakfast. Nice price. Gorgeous views on the Nile. Noisy area, so top floors are to be favoured.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank Shegulliver
Lisbon, Portugal
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 February 2013

I stayed here for a week in Jan/Feb 2013. The conference was held in the only available room in the hotel for those purposes, so, the receptions happening in the evening had to be prepared in the same room as the lectures. The hotel has another room for meals, but they wouldn't loose money letting us use that one for dinners...Accomodation: I booked an executive room. No varanda/balcony as advertised. I asked for a non-smoking area but the guy staying at the room next to mine was a chimney and no one cared about it. Breakfast was ok. Receptionists had to deal with my complaints, water was not hot, someone went to fix it (after 2 complaints) and decided to use my toilet (didn't flush)...Internet is a problem if you are using Skype or online banking. The line breaks in the middle of whatever you're doing...They gave us a password everyday; I was using someone else's (from the store next door or another neighbor). The hotel servers did not work almost everyday. The prices for sightseeing tours are much higher than the prices from Thomas Cook just across the street...In sum, ok if you cannot afford a better one, located in Zamalek, supermarket next door, Thai restaurant which changes the orders and you get what another person asked for, pizza hut is limited to 5 dishes and the quality of pizzas is appalling. Go to Abou el Sid by taxi, 10 EGP. Money exchange only at Thomas Cook (across the street to your right). Taxi to the airport is cheaper though (70 EGP) although the taxidriver makes a face when you pay only that...Beds are very good and TV channels limited but enough after a tiring day. Heater/Cooler in the room, nice. Noisy but nothing that cannot be solved with earplugs...

Room Tip: Ask for a high floor and a room with balcony
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank veigapaula
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 February 2013

great location for Zamalek cafes/shops, but otherwise disappointing. clean enough, but needs updating and attention to detail. Great view from 10th floor restaurant for breakfast, breakfast is mediocre. good bed & linens, but window was leaky so street noise and cold air came in.
Free WiFi was down for first 24 hours of my visit and it took 45 mins to have towels sent up when I checked in (and none had been placed in the bathroom).
friendly staff, but for efficiency and comparable price, better to stay at Novotel in Zamalek (if all is calm in Zahrir Sq)

Room Tip: mosque is on the back side of the hotel, so if you do not want to be awoken by dawn call to prayer...
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank S W
Portland, Oregon
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 January 2013

First, I will probably give this place a second chance, however, I'm simply unwilling to recommend the Golden Tulip to anyone.
The second chance comes from a follow-up from a second manager who was actually willing to try to make things up to me and has promised a fantastic tour if I return.

THE PROBLEM: I booked a tour through the hotel, I paid more for the service, but was willing to because I had one day to visit The Pyramids and that was more important than price... anyway, I guess it doesn't matter where you are, and people will always try to take advantage of you.

In my case I paid for a half day tour (expected at least 4 hours) but ended up back in my hotel in 2 hours and forty-five minutes. This was mostly traffic, and commission installations.

Somehow it was my fault for thinking I was on a professional tour, even though I gave continual reminders that I wasn't in a hurry, and wanted to spend as much time at the pyramids as possible, I somehow believed that we were in a rush because we had more places to visit and things to see. (I share this story because I hope it doesn't happen to anyone else, don't let anyone ruin your tours, and the most important parts of your trip!)

Anyway, on the ride back to the hotel I asked "where are we going next?" I discovered that I'd been whisked away--for nothing--and informed the guides (yes, two, one had injured his hand and couldn't drive) I was disappointed. I paid for half a day and it wasn't nice of them to take advantage of me, I'd paid good money (over twice what could easily be negotiated), and visiting the pyramids was the most important part of the trip...

...long story short, upon my return I informed the manager that I was extremely disappointed, and actually attempted to book another trip. But, they had no other agency to arrange a trip and the guide I just toured with was not willing to work with me anymore (or said he was busy...).

The initial manager blamed me and was generally disinterested, he got even more defensive when I said I expected better from the hotel. The truth, I never stay at nice places, I stayed at the hotel because I only had one day and I wanted to take advantage of it as much as possible.

I can't really imagine how I would have felt if I hadn't been taken advantage of by commission-chasing-tout-guides (it wasn't a tour, they were touts).

The service of everyone other than-THE-WORST-MANAGER-EVER (I know I haven't explained it well, but it was really the worst I've ever experienced, and I've stayed at 100rupee a night places in India)... everyone was great, the room was great (minus the heater wasn't working)...

If thing had been different I'd probably rate it an honest 4 stars... but I just don't know... oh, and I did kind of start off on the wrong foot. The taxi service was going to be twice fair price, the same people as the tour, and they weren't at the airport (you'd be surprised to find out that it was the same people as my tour, right? well it was) ... so I had to hire a drive in the early hours, they forced me to save my money. Anyway, they weren't there and they called me to complain... I think they wanted me to pay for nothing and I wasn't happy about being woken up so they could tell me that I needed to give them money for nothing...

Final verdict: I just can't recommend this place to anyone. I may stay there again, give them the chance to make things up to me, but probably won't. It was the worst experience I've ever had, worse than my experience at a nice hotel in India (previously reviewed) where they were being completely racist. It was simply the worst hotel experience I've ever had.

Room Tip: I thought the upgrade to riverview was worth it.
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled solo

Travellers are raving about these Cairo hotels

3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 December 2012 via mobile

This is a well situated hotel, with room and balcony overlooking the river. Free WiFi. Do not forget to ask for a NON Smoking room when checking in. Also, the minibar is empty, so make sure to either bring or order a bottle of drinking water for during the night. The breakfast is excellent with plenty of choice. Friendly staff. The hot water supply late in the morning is an issue, it feels like it needs to be fixed. This morning we only had lukewarm water!

Stayed December 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank Jacques B
Hanoi, Vietnam
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 December 2012

Great service, very pleasant bar, paid 89 usd a night bed and breakfast. Internet is a bit slow and connection is not stable. Location very good - there is a very good Italian restaurant around the corner that is definitely worth checking out - cannot say I had a lot of luck with Egyptian restaurants - it seems as if Egyptian food is the Eastern European version of Lebanese. A strong recommend for short stays on a budget.

Room Tip: Upgrade to a suite if not too expensive
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled on business