“safe and comfortable”

Ranked #40 of 138 Hotels in Cairo
Portland, Oregon
“safe and comfortable”
Reviewed 10 June 2008

This is a great hotel for a reasonable budget on Zamalek island. It is not touristy, nor is it particularly Americanized -- but if you're looking for a clean, friendly place to stay with huge rooms and a view of the Nile, this is it.

• Stayed May 2008, travelled on business
    • Check-in / front desk

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (56)
oxford
Reviewed 6 May 2008

I am a well-traveled person and within 12 hours of arriving at the hotel, without having left the hotel, my American passport was stolen. I suspect either the reception or the bell boy. The hotel staff and management did absolutley nothing but deny any wrong-doing and proceeded to treat me poorly and snicker whenever I walked past. The hotel management did nothing to compensate the loss -- did not even offer our organization a free meal for the inconvenience and the exorbitant cost incurred to replace it.

Beware.

• Stayed April 2008, travelled on business
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank yankinbritannia

Travellers are raving about these Cairo hotels

London
Reviewed 1 May 2008

This is just about an okay hotel to stay in Cairo and would be rated between 1 and 2 stars if it was in the west . We asked for a double room but were given a twin room for the first day which caused the extra hassle to change rooms.

The breakfast is below average (worse of all the 4 hotels we stayed at in Egypt). The staff is indifferent and not very interested in taking care of the guests. The bathrooms drainage was completely broke so by the time we were done with the morning shower the bath tub resembled a swimming pool. The service was very bad, one time they forgot to place any soaps or shower gels the next day there were no towels.

Beware of taking any tour package from the hotel, you will be ripped off. This applies to all hotel in Eqypt, but this hotel goes out of its way to lure you.

On positive side, the location of the hotel is good. TV does have a few Engligh channels and the air-conditioing was good.

• Stayed April 2008, travelled with family
1 Thank DexLondon
Iowa
Reviewed 7 April 2008

It's a place to rest your head I guess. This hotel was OK but nothing special. We paid for a superior double. I'd hate to see a regular double. Here in the states it would be a high 1 star or low 2 star. Even in Cairo it's no better than a 2. I saw the Marriott, THAT is a 5 star hotel.

• Stayed March 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
london
Reviewed 25 March 2008

I stayed at the Flamenco Hotel in March 08 for six nights. After reading the reviews of the hotel, i was hesitant. My expectations were met more than i imagined.

The hotel was well located in Zamalek. Close to all the necessary amenities and walking distance to countless eateries. A short taxi ride to Downtown(traffic permitting!)

The hotel itself was not the most luxurious four star id ever stayed in but the staff were much friendlier and genuine than some four star hotels. The room was clean and aired everyday we came back from our long day of travelling around. There was constant hot water, clean sheets and towels, comfortable bed and pillow and clean balcony with great view of the Nile. TV was international with CNN, BBC World and Al Jazeera English as well as a channel with international movies in English. Breakfast at the hotel was absolutely filling and worth every penny i spent on the room. The waiters and waitresses were always just a few steps away, ready to fill up your cup with tea or coffee. I commend the hotel for the wide choice of tasty international food.

What i loved most about the hotel was their accommodation of my partner and myself. His flight arrived at 5am, and though the hotel was fully booked, they got him a room almost immediately. My flight got in at 11pm, so i was very happy my partner didnt have to wait for 6 hours to get a room.

Thank you Flamenco Hotel for making our stay very enjoyable and memorable. It was always comforting coming back to the friendly and smiley face of the concierge and guard, after a long day.

• Liked — Friendly staff and breakfast buffet
  • Disliked — the temperamental air-conditioning that was not always cold
  • Stayed March 2008, travelled as a couple
1 Thank rabisco
The Netherlands
Reviewed 18 March 2008

I arrived late the first night. The next morning I took a shower, but I found no cold water at the 12th floor. Sometimes it was good for a few minutes and after a while it turned burning hot again. I had to complain 4 days, after which I got another room at the 8th floor. Here the shower was a lot better.

I was in Egypt to meet my fiancee. We went to my hotelroom to bring a package upstairs. The plan was to be there for only 10 minutes because we needed to go out for an appointment again. When we stept into the elevator a hotel employee followed us till the 12th floor.
The phone rang and and the man asked if there was a visitor in my room, so I said "yes". He ordered her to leave, so I obbeyed (We should be there for 10 minutes anyway). After another minute he called again: she is still in your room and she has to leave. When we were in the elevator again the same spy escorted us downstairs. I complained at the lobby about what happened, but they were only smiling.

When I moved from the 12th to the 8th floor I forgot the charger of my cellphone at the 12th floor. The next morning I asked for it, but it was stolen already.

I asked for discount when leaving, but that was absolute impossible.

All together I'm very disappointed about the treatment in this Golden Tulip hotel. The rooms are OK, but the service is that bad that it ruined my holiday. Golden Tulip: thank you...

Stayed February 2008
1 Thank jangroningen
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 15 March 2008

Our small group stayed in Flamenco hotel for 4 nights. Hotel has some pleasant character and it is located in a green Zamalek area. The immediate hotel surrounding is fine for Cairo where you can actually walk around a few blocks to find some convenience store, coffee shop, etc. ATM machine is just outside hotel by the entrance of the grocery store that is hidden in underground. For a tourist this location might be far from major attractions but anyway you would have to take either a taxi or your tour mini-bus. The traffic in and around Cairo is so horrible that it would not really matter where you stay. Originally we were considering staying either at Giza or at airport area but it would have left us without feeling of the city itself. Besides, there are traffic problems both in Giza and at the area closer to the airport.
Our room was on 5th floor at the corner of the building and it had a semicircular arched den with windows towards Nile and view of some beautiful mosque on the other side. Room was large, plenty of extra furniture and a cute oriental divan. Regardless that some renovation might be due soon, our room was very-very clean and retained some sort of style and character. Everything was functional. Although Flamenco hotel is not a modern total luxurious hotel but thanks to this fact it is not faceless and not unmemorable.
Buffet breakfast was fresh, good and abundant. We easily survived our full day sightseeing till the dinnertime after this breakfast. Waiters were cheerful. Our group had one pre-fix seat down dinner in the hotel restaurant on 2nd floor and it was very nice. Front desk was efficient and polite.
Bring your earplugs for a comfortable night sleep. I believe street noise will be problem everywhere in Cairo.

• Stayed February 2008, travelled with friends