“Typical city hotel, not impressed”

Golden Tulip Flamenco
Ranked #47 of 139 Hotels in Cairo
Reviewed 4 April 2009

The Flamenco Golden Tulip in Cairo is an average, typical city hotel.
Location: the only positive point of this place is it's location. It is situated in the area of Zamalek, a quiet residential area not too far from the city's main attractions. Going to the Pyramids will take you between 30 - 45 minutes, depending on time of the day and traffic.

Service: average, not too friendly, businesslike, but not that bad. Is what you can expect from a hotel frequented mainly by European and Asian tourists on a package deal.

Rooms: poor, they need a major renovation and refurbishment. Beds are hard, causing backache after 4 nights!

Breakfast: is adequate with a nice variety of pastries and cheese/sausages and yoghurts. Why they are stingy on fresh fruit I don't understand though.

Meals: tried room service twice in the evening, was OK and quite speedy. There's a nice restaurant one block away from the hotel in a pretty garden. It's called the Five Bells (or something). For lovers of the fast food: Pizza Hut and Mac on the corner.

• Stayed: March 2009, travelled with family
2  Thank morevish
There are newer reviews for Golden Tulip Flamenco

Reviewed 17 March 2009

We stayed at this hotel last week, this hotel is definitely of a 4 star standard, the room was fantastic with nile view, and the staff were very friendly, the location of the hotel is great after being in the hussle and bussle of the city centre. Once at the hotel I would recommend Ahmed for your taxi, 2008 car, clean english speaking and very helpfull, tell Chris recommended him. Tel No from your international mobile 020122780213 or ask the doorman, if you dont enjoy your stay at this hotel then your expectations are to high.

• Stayed: March 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 5 March 2009

We weren't intending to stay here, but due to an oversight in our planning, needed to find a room for a night in Cairo.

We were very happy with this hotel. The room was nice and comfortable. There was a nice buffet breakfast and the staff spoke good English.

Only drawback was the relative lack of sound insulation, so one could hear a lot of traffic noise- but this is the case anywhere in central Cairo except for the really plush Hotels.

I think we paid about $120 for a double room with breakfast, so it wasn't bad. The restaurant was excellent too with a lovely view over the Nile. If you don't want to go to the expense of the Marriott, then this IS the place to go!

• Stayed: February 2009, travelled as a couple
2  Thank CW_1
Reviewed 22 February 2009

I have just returned from my 5th visit to Cairo, and it was my 3rd stay at the Flemenco (Golden Tulip) Hotel. I think it has improved year on year. Every time we go, we look at other hotels in this class, just in case we can find better value for money - we can't! For what you are paying (although shop around for various sites) who have different tarrifs for this hotel, it is great value for money. The higher up the room, usually the better. It is clean, service is good, and it is in a good central and 'safe' location of Zamalek. There are shops on the doorstep, including a supermarket (Metro), chemist and internet cafe right opposite. If you need a taxi - find Said (Syeed) he is a good driver, reliable and friendly - his number is 0123761364.

• Stayed: February 2009, travelled as a couple
2  Thank CleoDorset
Reviewed 26 January 2009

I Spent two nights in the hotel with a friend, we booked the rooms nearly 4 days before arrival, got our confirmation codes and to Check-in we had to wait for about 90 minutes to be surprised that we're 2 stories apart!!!

I was given a "Junior Suite" (Room 401) instead of the regular room i asked for, but with the same price, yet with no explanations or apologies!

The A/C started to heat the room no matter what, although it was already hot that day, an American senior guest was complaining to the front desk, and as a typical Egyptian the shift team leader started to argue that it's either the weather or because the room was closed for too long!!!

Pros:
Location is pretty good
Rooms are tidy and clean
Furniture and beds are quite Comfortable
Bathrooms are clean, well equipped, and water pressure is v.good
Quite Environment

Cons:
16 Inch TV with 3-4 Italian Channels, 3-4 German Channels, and 3-4 Arabic Channels
Reception Service is a bit cold! Don't ask for Extra help because you won't get any!
Room Service is pretty slow, 20-30 minutes for a cup of Tea!
Two Elevators and they're too slow

Tips:
The Bar "Carmen Bar" is a very good place for a drink no matter what time is it
For Cabs it's better to say "The Flamenco Hotel in Zamalek" not "The Golden Tulip"

• Stayed: January 2009, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2  Thank Sunny-Thumb
Reviewed 19 January 2009

The hotel is fine, its biggest plus is its location. Easy access to the main directions within and out of the city. Plus on the edge of the prime shopping area of Cairo. As a pensioner I have little interest in buying anything. But standard shops (away from the tourist centre) and their merchandise tell a fair bit about a country and its heart beat. As a pipe smoker - one hardly dares mention such illness these days - I did lay hands on a couple of the required pieces of wood at a fraction of the price I would pay back home for similar quality. Other people will find more healthy items at worthwhile prices. As for the hotel, during the evening the breakfast area on the mezzanine floor becomes a pleasant and roomy space for a soft drink or a snack with your newspaper or book. It may no apply to all travellers but this place suited me very well. With my complements to the courteous staff serving breakfast and ‘evening coffee’.

• Stayed: January 2009, travelled solo
3  Thank dutchwanderer
Reviewed 4 January 2009

This hotel was booked for us through our tour operator based in Cairo. I was very apprehensive based on the wide spectrum of reviews on Tripadvisor. We were traveling at Xmas/New Years and wanted to stay in Zamalek and not in Heliopolis. Since most hotels were booked, we decided to stay at the Flamenco. At arrival, we were pleasantly surprised at the condition of the rooms (clean) and the hotel, with a nice bar and restaurant on the top floor, much better than I expected. We had rooms on the 9th floor. As others have mentioned, the breakfast is ok. Didn't have a huge problem with noise, but this is the city, it was not quiet at night. There is free wireless internet. Couldn't get it in my room, but it worked fine from the lounge in the middle of the floor. But as others mentioned, a big problem is the elevators, which can be very crowded and slow.
Our biggest problem was with an obligatory gala new years eve dinner that we were forced to buy for $60 US each. We noticed that after arrival that a sign out front was advertising the dinner for 180LE (about $35), so we inquired why the big difference. The desk person was just as puzzled as we were and said he would get back to us. The next morning, the manager told us that the advertised 180LE price was a mistake and we noticed that the sign was taken down. So, we were eating dinner. Dinner was OK, but the service was terrible. The "obligatory" dinner appeared to have snagged about 50 of the guests, but not every person in the hotel, by any means as we were led to believe. At checkout, they insisted on charging us for 6 obligatory meals, even though we were only 5 persons. They claimed that one of the rooms (occupied by my son alone) was really a double and so we should pay for 2 dinners. I was outraged and refused to budge. After 20-30 minutes of arguing and many phone calls, they finally relented. Given our experiences at the Marriott and then the Sheraton Miramar, where service was A+, this was very disheartening, especially since US $65 is an absolute fortune in Cairo.
There was one other incident that was unfortunate. Trying to get into the hotel around 2AM, the guard (tourist police) refused to let me enter, signaling that he wanted a tip. I gave him 5LE but he signaled that that was not enough, so I gave him another 5LE. He then let me in. Given that he was armed (pistol and Uzi), I didn't want any trouble but this was also upsetting.
After staying in only 5 star hotels, and trying to save a little money on our last two nights, staying here was not worth it. The additional cost of our obligatory dinner and the issue with the guard would not have happened in a better hotel. Perhaps this is an issue unique to new years eve, but I regret staying here as it marred what was otherwise a perfect 10 day trip to egypt.

• Stayed: December 2008, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3  Thank midwestern_guy51