“Avoid Avoid Avoid!”
Review of Le Passage Cairo

Le Passage Cairo
Ranked #1 of 139 Hotels in Cairo
Reviewed 12 November 2013

We were set up in Le Passage as our flight was cancelled leaving Cairo. This was all arranged by Egypt Air, and although we appreciated the offer of hotel and dinner, I really regret not using my insurance and staying at a nicer hotel.
The lobby was very nice, and I had high hopes of the rest of the hotel. When being taken to our room, it was as if we were going into the basement. The smell in the hallway was terrible. Smelt if smoke and bad personal hygiene. The room was just as bad. Very dirty with stains all over the floor. I actually wore my shoes in the room!
There was only 1 towel for 2 people, how that made sense to them, I have no idea.
I did not feel clean sleeping in the beds and I couldn't wait to leave the hotel early the next morning.
The buffet was terrible. I just stuck to the bread and vegetables.
If you can avoid this hotel, do it.
If you are in my situation and Egypt Air has arranged this hotel for you, call your travel insurance company. Chances are they will cover you to stay somewhere nicer!

Room Tip: Stay at a different hotel
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Laura M
LePassageCairo, Manager at Le Passage Cairo, responded to this reviewResponded 27 November 2013

Dear Sir,

Warm greetings from sunny Cairo. It has been a great pleasure welcoming you at Le Passage Cairo Hotel & Casino and I wish to thank you for taking your precious time to send us your comments.

Your feedback is a valuable source for us to review our performance and strive to achieve excellent standards of product and service to our guests.

We hope to see you soon back in Cairo and at our hotel and to make it up for you the next time you stayed at our hotel.

Thanks & Best regards

Write a ReviewReviews (1,597)

Reviewed 4 November 2013

I have to use this Hotel on a regular basis due to my job and business. I have been using it for the last 3 years; myself and 3 colleagues were bitten by both fleas and mosquitos over 10 times per night (2 nt stay) and this was in the bedrooms. The hotel lobby is attractive but the minute you enter the room you are open to risk of MALARIA. One of my friends leg has swollen up and Puss has started to come out his leg, this is the Mosquito and flea bites. The hygeine of the rooms are horrible and if you don't tip the staff they will be very nasty to you. If you decide to stay here, try and request a room on the top floor as i believe there a less mosquito's up there but you will no matter what be bitten. Overall it was a very un-pleasant stay, i wouldnt reccommend this to anyone unless you are prepared for the worst. Sorry for the negativity but i need to raise the concern as catching Malaria is life threatening.

Room Tip: Avoid at all costs if possible
Reviewed 31 October 2013

Arriving at the Hotel courtesy of an exceedingly friendly driver of the Courtesy bus, I was hanging around reception for some time. As at the last visit, the three gentlemen at the desk appeared somewhat confused as to what to do and whom to serve. The left desk, no the right desk and so forth. Anyway, got a room in the basement which was quite nice. good size room, spotlessly clean and with a nice bathroom. I was offered to be taken to the room by an incredibly service minded porter dressed in traditional outfit including a Fez. Very service minded with a great smile also. Very nice man.

No free drinking water available though. Had the buffee dinner which was quite nice and the service was excellent. I especially enjoyed the deserts a great selection of delicious Baklava and more European style pastries. Breakfast was equally good.

Le Passage is a good transfer hotel, it is close to the city (bad if you want to go shopping) but very convenient if you have an early morning flight to catch. Le Passage is a good hotel.

A word of warning, I went with the by the hotel recommended taxi to City Stars, the trip there costed 75 LEP but the return trip only 35. Most hotels in Cairo charge an inflated rate for taxis. Be aware, A taxi from the airport to the city should cost maybe 60-80 LEP, but drivers often also ask for 150-200. Insist on the meter being used or just leave the taxi.

Room Tip: get a room with a view of the pool, there are some rooms with a balcony also facing the pool.
Reviewed 30 October 2013

Stayed at this hotel to give a conference found staff to be very helpful but the room I was given was very poor and not clean. The room was very smelly and was in need of big renervation and very dated. The food was acceptable but as usual in Cairo smoking was allowed everywhere but in the restaurant. The room given was as agreed a no smoking room but my opinion is that this is not controlled as it had a smell of ciggerette smoke. The noise from the weddings nearly everynight was not acceptable. The only good thing due to problems in Cairo this hotel is very close to airport but if the problems stop I would stay in a better hotel with tea and coffee in room unlike Le Passage

Room Tip: Ask for room that has been renovated
Reviewed 20 October 2013

A transit hotel at best.
Poor rooms, very small, but clean and good A/C, old bathroom facilities.
Furniture seems out-dates, it definitely needs renovation.
Pool was nice, hotel ambiance was OK. Service was OK.
Food -however, was excellent.
This was formerly 'Movenpick'.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 18 October 2013

The hotel is very average. I had been to this same hotel in 1995 when it was under the management of "Movenpick" and was much better and cleaner. All the rooms are out-dated and need a lot of renovation. Rooms are very small and lack a lot of facilities for a good hotel. I can hardly rate this hotel as three stars, it is only convenient for transit travellers being in the airport, but never use it as a long staying hotel (more than one night).

However the staff is friendly and trying to do their best with the modest facilities.

Room Tip: A room in the main floor, away from reception area.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank shahir M
Reviewed 16 October 2013

We were on our honeymoon and needed to stay two days in Cairo. We let the reception know that we were on our honeymoon hoping to get some nice treatment (as we did receive from other hotels). The only thing we received was an "Alf Mabrook".

From that point, it seemed as we were entering the gates of HELL. First is the unbearable smell of cigarette smoke, they would only bring one pair of slippers (for a double room) -- I guess one of us had to walk barefoot on the nasty carpet). I went down to the restaurant to ask for an empty cup, so that my wife and I could drink the almost 20LE bottle of water they sold to us. They refused to give us even empty cups.

So, we ordered delivery. For 1 HOUR, they prevented the delivery man from entering the property and they said no outside food is allowed in the hotel. They said if we are hungry, we can eat at their restaurant for 375LE per person OR starve in their hotel room. I asked if I can leave the hotel by taxi and they said it will cost me 120LE just to leave by taxi. We felt trapped. After much arguing and threatining to call the tourist police, they allowed the food in but it was already too late to eat it, and it was cold, so we placed it in the refrigerator.

The next morning, the food had began to become rotten because the refrigerator did not work. We reported the non-functional refrigerator and they did not even bother to do anything about it. We tried to use the hairdryer in the room. The hotel employee explained to us that the hairdryer had a short circuit and needed repair -- and he began pulling wires out of the wall. After approximately one hour, we asked him to leave and come back later. What a NICE HONEYMOON GIFT -- sending a repairman to stay in the room with you.

This horror story is to be continued...

Room Tip: go to a different hotel
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple