“best hotel cairo”

Ranked #34 of 137 Hotels in Cairo
Cape Town, Western Cape, South Africa
“best hotel cairo”
Reviewed 11 May 2013

Excellent service and staff. For me the top hotel in Cairo. Always make me feel welcome. Facilities clean and rooms clean and comfortable. Been using the hotel on and off for 10 years and will always go back. Hotel offers a lot of choices with restaurants and food. All other facilities also very good.

Room Tip: Tower rooms are quiet.
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled on business
Haguer C, Manager at Sonesta Hotel, Tower & Casino Cairo, responded to this review, 16 May 2013
Dear 991lisa

We are delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us. We thank you for your generous feedback.

it will be our pleasure, welcoming you, delivering the best of service and making sure that you have a pleasant and comfortable stay.

Please, always remember that Sonesta Hotel tower & casino Cairo is YOUR HOME in Cairo.

Kind regards
Haguer Nassar

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (85)
  • Arabic first
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Cairo, Egypt
Reviewed 24 April 2013

I have stayed in alot of hotels and this hotel is rated in the top 3. Excellent Staff very friendly and very helpful. Rooms are very clean, alot fo choices of different types of resturants and good bars, It is well worth the stay and I will being stay here again soon.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled on business
Haguer C, Manager at Sonesta Hotel, Tower & Casino Cairo, responded to this review, 25 April 2013
Thank you very much for taking the time to share your experience with us on TripAdvior.

Our goal is to make our valued guests feel at home and exceed their expectations.
We thank you for the appreciation of our staff, we are very pleased that we were able to greet you with a pleasant and memorable stay.

We hope to see you soon

Best regards
Reviewed 16 April 2013

Hotel with some apparent deferred maintenance issues.

For example, toilet constantly running, wardrobes with body odor, mechanically things loose and jiggly, dirt in the corners. Old fashioned furnishings.

Wi-Fi was free, but not very fast, or constantly available.

The beds were very comfortable. The rooms are reasonably quiet. Housekeeping was quite satisfactory.

Front desk service excellent.

My non-smoking floor was quite smoky, which is one thing I really find annoying. Management seemed indifferent about this.

The bakery and restaurants and bars are quite nice for the property.

Lovely outdoor pool, but I did not see anyone go near it the whole stay.

Hotel is quite near the airport, but allow time for the usual traffic jams. This proximity lends quite an international flavor to the collected guests. Front desk staff speak quite adequate English.

• Stayed April 2013
2 Thank Cirenrets
Haguer C, Manager at Sonesta Hotel, Tower & Casino Cairo, responded to this review, 17 April 2013
Dear Cirenrets
Thank you for your review of our hotel
Indeed your comments on the age of the hotel are very valued and we are in the process of the renovation floor by floor
May I request you for the room number
Not with standing these aspects should had been picked up by housekeeping which process we will reinforce
Having the room number will help us address the non smoking comment of yours
We sincerely thank you for taking the time out to mentions your feedback and look forward to greeting you again at our hotel
Kindest regards,
Essex, England
Reviewed 15 April 2013

After a tour of Egypt we flew back to Cairo and stayed at Sonesta as it is close to the airport. It is a beautiful facility and had friendly staff

The hotel has a cosmopolitan feel to it yet still has Egyptian feel. The foyer is very art nouveau with an interesting sculptor of a grey hound !

The hotel room was extremely fresh, clean, and pleasantly quiet. It was also just inside the WiFi area so I could use my Smart phone.

The hotel is conveniently located for the airport, but is not recommend for a longer stay in Cairo, as it is quite distant from the city centre. It does seem to be frequented by tour groups either just arriving or departing the next day, like our one !

The gym was well equipment, swimming pool was staffed, bars area clean and severed food. However the bar drink prices have local tax added on which are not include on the menu / drink list.
Breakfast was the normal affair of fruit, salad, pastries, cook to order omelettes.

The staff were pleasant, friendly and helpful.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Tysonator
Dear Tysonator

thank you for your appreciation comments under Sonesta hotel tower and casino Cairo
we look forward to an opportunity to welcome you at our hotel
p.s. through it appraise from the pictures that you have mentioned that isn't not our hotel

London
Reviewed 10 April 2013

Excellent complimentary hotel transfer service from the airport - including facilitation through immigration - was a very good start to quite a pleasant stay. Was accommodated in a nicely furnished room in the new tower - comfortable bed, tea/coffee-making facilities and huge bathroom. Excellent breakfast buffet (from 0430 to 1030) and generally very friendly staff.

Now for the quirks - housekeeping is a bit slapdash (only one refill of shampoo, shower gel etc. during my 5 night stay), there is a lack of electric points in the room (not possible to charge laptop and boil water at the same time) and I could never get the room internet connection to work. There is wifi (of sorts) in the lobby and public areas, but really not of a sufficient speed to get any work done.

Location is excellent for the airport and the convention centre - and you feel safely out of the way of any demonstrations.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled on business
Haguer C, Manager at Sonesta Hotel, Tower & Casino Cairo, responded to this review, 14 April 2013
Dear Kristine S

We thank you for your review expressing your appreciation of our services during your recent stay at our hotel

we have noted the quirks you observed and started correcting them immediately

we look forward to welcome you back to our hotel.

if it possible do let us know your room number during your recent stay so we can address the weak WiFi at this room

Maryland
Reviewed 7 April 2013

I go to Cairo relatively frequently for business and have stayed at multiple hotels in the city. Over the past couple of years, I have been staying primarily at the Sonesta. To be honest, it is not the best hotel. However, it works well for me. The staff are wonderful and always friendly (they know me by name) and the location is wonderful for the activities that I do. I plan to continue to stay there, at least for now.

Some good things:
The new tower is reasonably nice and clean.
Beds are clean and comfortable.
The complementary buffet breakfast is really good.
The hotel gym/spa is very nice. It has a good workout room, a sauna, a steam room, etc.
The location is safe (at least safer than downtown hotels).
It is relatively close to the airport
Free pick up and drop off to the airport (at least for me and my colleagues, but this may be a business perk).
Staff are really nice and helpful.
Price is reasonable.

Some not so good things:
Stocking of the rooms is inconsistent. Sometimes there is water and sometimes not. During my recent trip, my colleagues had to ask to have their mini-bar stocked.
The carpets in the old part of the hotel are stained and look dirty.
Some of the bathroom fixtures are rusty and break easy (for example- toilet handles falling off).
Occasional musty smell in some of the rooms.

So, this is not the nicest hotel in Cairo, but I like it and it works well for me. You get what you pay for, and for me it is worth the money that I spend.

Room Tip: Stay in the new tower if possible.
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled on business
Haguer C, Manager at Sonesta Hotel, Tower & Casino Cairo, responded to this review, 9 April 2013
Dear JM H

thank for your review for the 7th of April 2013

the positive recognition you have given to our hotel is very encouraging
we endeavor to maintain and improve continuously
Indeed the older section of the hotel does require upgrading and is very much in our plan to do so in the near future
we look forward to having you back in our hotel

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 April 2013

An hotel from Hell, prepare for the worst when you stay at this hotel as the staff is capable of stooping down to any level to intimidate and humiliate their guests for any of the rather petty reasons.

I recently stayed at this hotel with my wife and a 2 years old son and would rate this stay as my worst experience ever. Due to an over night flight lay over from Saudi Arabia to London, we stayed in the hotel on behalf of Egypt Air. The check in staff hardly bothered to answer any of my questions regarding the breakfast but it was not too bad.

The real saga starts in the room where we find not even a bottle of water. By this time, it was already past midnight and we had to catch the hotel shuttle for airport at 6 am next morning. When the room service was contacted for a bottle of water, they informed me it would cost 22 Egyptian pounds, about 2.5 British pounds! fair enough, ordered for it and the hell broke loose!

A member of the staff turns up at the door with bottle of water demanding adamantly cash payment in Egyptian pounds despite telling him it will be settled in the morning with my credit card while checking out as I had no Egyptian currency. It turns out that credit was not allowed for airline passengers in the hotel but it was too late then, I had already taken few dreaded sips from the bottle, the guy took my signatures on the slip and went away.

Few minutes later, I get a phone call from a room service member of staff on the phone rudely telling me and bluntly accusing me of lying that I had agreed to pay in cash before placing the order for water bottle and the phone was hung up!

Moments later, another disgruntled member of staff turns up at the door informing me that I must have to pay the price of the bottle of water NOW IN CASH. He was ready to “escort” me to the “bank” downstairs to get the Egyptian currency as he would not accept British pounds sterling being unaware of the exchange rate, quite intimidating in a strange land being on your own with your young family. By now, it was almost 1 O’Clock in the morning, at this moment I started to wish this ended sooner than later as after a few hours we had to catch a 5 hours flight for London in the morning. On his demand, I handed him over my credit card to deduct the amount off it and requested him to leave us alone for some sleep.

The plight does not end here; ten minutes or so later same member of staff turns up with a man in suit holding a pin pad for me to enter the pin for my credit card. All this drama for a couple of pounds in a so called five start hotel, the staff has probably never heard about good will.

Anyway, I entered the pin for my credit card and thanked God for ending this episode of misery. A bit of effort of at least one hour with a bit of intimidation and insulting attitude, not a bad cost for a bottle of water.

This was my first incidental stop over in Egypt ever, what a wonderful first impression of Egyptians this hotel created on us. I would rather sleep at a third class bed and breakfast rather than this five start hotel. There is a bit more to share about other things of this hotel but this account of bottle of water takes the cake, for the rest you can read other reviews.

I hope this review may help some tired and weary travellers to avoid stressful experience at this dreadful place.

Room Tip: I don't believe any room is a good room in this hotel as long as the current staff is there. Avo...
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled with family
9 Thank SamUK786
Haguer C, Manager at Sonesta Hotel, Tower & Casino Cairo, responded to this review, 7 April 2013
Dear Mr. Sam UK 786
thank you for your feedback on our hotel

your sense of indignation is very justifiable as such an experience is certainly not to be expected at a reputable hotel

we have under taken corrective measures with the concerned department and also we have reinforced the same message in our regular training

we ask you to accept our very sincerely apology for this poor experience during your very brief stay

We sincerely hope to welcoming you again at Sonesta Hotel Tower & Casino Cairo