“HK was problematic the rest was great!”

Sonesta Hotel, Tower & Casino Cairo
Ranked #34 of 137 Hotels in Cairo
izmir
“HK was problematic the rest was great!”
Reviewed 26 December 2010

connection between FO and HK was problematic but anyway staff is kind and professional. we really enjoyed our stay in sonesta!

Stayed December 2010, travelled with friends
sonestacairo, General Manager at Sonesta Hotel, Tower & Casino Cairo, responded to this review, 27 December 2010
Thank you for your recent stay at the Sonesta Cairo Hotel, Tower, & Casino. I was pleased to read that overall you enjoyed your stay with us. I was however sorry to hear that you felt the communication between our teams at the front desk and housekeeping was not up to par and I would certainly be interested in hearing what happened so that we can work at preventing a similar incident from occurring again in the future.

Should your travels return you to Cairo, please contact me directly so that I may personally handle your reservation.

Managing Director

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (85)
  • Arabic first
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Cairo, Egypt
Reviewed 26 December 2010

Reading some of the earlier reviews makes me wonder if they stayed at the same hotel. Perhaps it is the new management that has made such a difference but I cannot find anything bad to say about this hotel. The staff is extremely friendly and more than accomodating. I travel with a fairly large group (30 to 45) and we were met at the front desk with room keys ready and they opened up their resturaunt for breakfast an hour early to accomodate our travel needs. They set up trips to the Pyramids for the light show that went flawlessly. I have only tried a couple of their resturaunts, the food was very good and the prices were very reasonable. Gilbert Zeind, the sales manager has gone above and beyond to make our stay comfortable. If you have stayed there in the past, I would definitly give this place another try. There are large groups that do stay there, and the lobby isn't the largest, but they seem to move through the check in process as quickly as we do. All in all a very enjoyable experience.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled on business
Thank you for your recent stay at the Sonesta Cairo Hotel, Tower, & Casino and your kind comments regarding your stay and the recent changes we have made.

We look forward to having the pleasure of welcoming you back on your next visit to Cairo!

PARIS
Reviewed 13 November 2010

The hotel by itself is not bad, nice palmtreed garden with swimmingpool and one outdoor restaurant, some indoor choices also including a real french Fauchon coffeeshop. The Rooms in the new wing are nicely furnished, but the old wing is in fact a 2 star hotel!! But the biggest problem is coming from the, i am sorry to say that :bad staff!! Ok this hotel is hosting 70% tour groups and maybe 25% business travelers. So only very few gustes staying for privat self paying holidays and certainly never returning. The staff attitude is in concequence. They never see any guest two times in her life so they are never caring of anything, are not welcoming at all, give bad service everywhere and in the end all the extras are very overpriced for what you get. The ambiance is more like a 3 star tour group hotelfactory and business travler ripp off (already the company is paying for everything), the individual traveler feel not at all welcome and defenetly you wont get what you pay for.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled solo
2 Thank INGOGRIMM
sonestacairo, General Manager at Sonesta Hotel, Tower & Casino Cairo, responded to this review, 15 November 2010
I am so sorry to hear of your disappointment with The Sonesta Cairo during your recent trip to the property. Please except my apology for the shortcomings you experienced during your stay.

I wish to advise you that I only arrived at the property a few weeks ago and I can assure you that we will be addressing all of the issues mentioned in your review.

I do ask that should your travels return you to Cairo, if you could contact my office directly so that I may personally handle your reservation.

Again, my apologies and I look forward to having you return.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 November 2010

I stayed here for several weeks. My company's Egypt office booked me the hotel, so I didn't check the previous reviews. The hotel claims it is 5 star (but unlike the UK this is not done by an independent organisation, it is done by the hotel), and whilst elements of it are probably 4 star, it's prices are close to 5 star. Overall I found the staff/service variable - at times 3/4 star, others mainly 2 star. Some individuals were very good, and hence the good service - other times it was poor. The food was better quality than you would get at the local places, but to be honest abit bland (with the exception of the Pizza, which was excellent). Some staff members were very friendly, helpful and polite (without expecting a tip, as is the Egyptian cultural norm), others couldn't care less. This apparently is the norm in Egypt, so I can't be too harsh on them. The hotel is very far from Old Cairo, which is where some of the best, and less expensives places are to eat. The facilities in the hotel aren't too bad actually. The gym, sauna, steam sauna are fairly good (and free to hotel guests). They also have an onsite barber/hairdresser and bank. The internet however is extremely poor, very slow, and very expensive (considering most 2-3 star hotels in the UK have free internet, it is a little shocking a 5 star hotel still charges). The internet is not good for business use - and this would put me off if I had to stay again. The 'free' internet in the foyer is appalling, especially if some decides to watch you tube. As with most hotels, the mini-bar is incredibly expensive for some basic items - even by UK standards. Buy things from the shops outside. Worse still, the rooms do not provide tea making facilities. There are a few shops within the hotel - not overly expensive - but if you want to save money you would probably go downtown - I found checking the prices in the hotel first gave a good idea of what you shouldn't pay outside i.e. pay less. Under NO CIRCUMSTANCES use the private hire/travel company (desk near the front of the hotel foyer) - these are rip off merchants and hustlers who will attempt to take you to a friends shop or hustler to try to get money off you. In Egypt, everyone is salesman, but the taxi drivers/private hire drivers get kick backs from whoever they take you to. I asked to be taken to one place, they took me to another. Do not trust these guys ever - even though you agree a price - they will always charge you 'extras' or at least try it on. Try to go in groups, use the hotel bus, and use the guided tours in the places to visit. Always ask for prices beforehand, always say you have been to Egypt before and that you have a friend in Egypt and he has told you all about it. Finally always say you will come back - never buy something the first time you see it. The private hire company personnel at the Sonesta are totally untrustworthy - and if the hotel has any sense it would remove these guys. Eventually I asked for my company to arrange for a car and driver so I did not pay any money at all - he was paid for every day I used him by the company. Any problems, I asked for the driver to be changed. So now I have no need to use the private hire company in the Sonesta foyer. Even so, be wary of all drivers some are less trustworthy than others - but be careful with all drivers - they don't get paid alot, so kick backs are the only way they make money. Keep things professional at all times though. Overall apart from the dodgy private hire company (desk in the foyer), it wasn't a bad place, but it's location is not great, there isn't much in the local area, and I couldn't say it was 5 star, I would probably rate it 3.5/4 star at best overall. I wouldn't stay here for business again though, and would probably stay near the big commerical hotel/shopping complexes. These are a little more expensive than the Sonesta, but have better facilities, internet, and from what other colleagues have told me, much better service for about $20 night more - however these places have a greater traffic problem, and usually are more fully booked.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled on business
GilbertZeind, Manager at Sonesta Hotel, Tower & Casino Cairo, responded to this review, 6 November 2010
Dear Business Traveller 134,

Firstly I would like to contribute my gratitude to your feedback comments on all the email points with a positive or negative ratings, as we take both in a constructive method of improving the service level.

As far as we are a 5 star hotel that is rated by the ministry of tourism not by the hotel according to rooms, facilities and many other aspects.

As far as the room and internet part we accept the reservation and budget required by the account/ organization here in Egypt that is looking to pay for the guests visits.

You should ask on your next trip to be booked in a room in our new tower which has several more amenities and luxurious facilities.

Also we are in the process to renovate the full services and rooms of our main building and outlets, which would be more convenient to all our esteemed guests as well as yourself.

I Once again thank you for staying with us and look forward to seeing you next time with us as I am available always in the Hotel to assist with any special requirest as to meet with your service level required and above.

Kind Regards
Gilbert Zeind
Reviewed 28 October 2010

I've just returned from a recent business trip to Cairo where I was booked into the Sonesta. The rooms are ok, but in need of updating. I was shown the minibar with great pride by one of the staff who showed me to my room and it had a chunk of exposed chip board. No safe, or iron in the room.
When I checked I caught the shuttle bus to the airport only to find that my room number had been written on my suitcase in biro - I know it's a minor thing but you just don't do that. Next time I'd look at the radisson or the fairmont.

• Stayed October 2010
Thank you for staying with us on your recent trip to Cairo. Please accept my apologies for the shortcomings you experienced.

As I have just arrived at the property, I would appreciate the opportunity to have you stay with us again in our brand new tower that was just completed at the beginning of the year. Please contact me personally so that I can personally handle your reservations.

I look forward to meeting you upon your return to The Sonesta.

Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates
Reviewed 25 October 2010

we stay in sonesta in their new building for more than 2 weeks. it's very clean and new. very good services too.

Stayed September 2010, travelled with family
sonestacairo, General Manager at Sonesta Hotel, Tower & Casino Cairo, responded to this review, 10 December 2010
Thank you for your kind response to your recent stay at The Sonesta Cairo Hotel, Tower & Casino! I am pleased you had a positive experience and we look forward to the opportunity of welcoming you back!

Steven Kalczynski, Managing Director
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 19 October 2010

We loved at stay at Sonesta Cairo, the staff were very helpful with any need we had. The concierge arranged tours for us and recommended a very nice taxi driver. We were in Cairo for Ramadan and the nightly activities in the courtyard were so interesting. Good food also! The casino area was a little weird, just a few creepy old men, but this may have been because of the holidays. There is a money exchange in the hotel, and the banker had given us some problems about exchanging $100 bills, but the staff were able to help us. Definitely recommend the Sonesta Cairo!

• Stayed September 2010, travelled as a couple