“Great Decor” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Garden City House

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Cairo
Garden City House
Ranked #67 of 127 Speciality Lodging in Cairo
UK
“Great Decor”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 December 2007

The Garden City House oozed with atmosphere, the original 1920/30's decor and fittings still being in place - including the most amazing lift! For this we could forgive it's grubbiness.

• Liked — Decor
  • Disliked — cleanliness
  • Stayed November 2007, travelled on business
3 Thank MarkandNat

Families
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
NYC
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 July 2007

I gotta admit, when I first saw my room, everything seemed a little sad and tired. Smudges on the walls, worn-down parquet floor, etc.

But then I slept (very well--the beds are firm, not saggy), and I felt much better about the place. My shower had good pressure and tons of hot water (an individual heater right there in the room), I had a nice little balcony, and I had a lot of room to spread out.

Then I also checked out other budget hotels around town, many of which were a lot dingier, and I felt _a lot_ better about the place.

I did eat dinner at the hotel one night, which was some mashed potatoes and meat sauce, plus soup and veggies and a little dessert--generous for the price, if not the most inspiring food. But it was very nice to have that option, for the nights I was too beat to eat out.

As a woman traveling alone, I especially appreciated the staff, who were very helpful and kind (generally older men) but not the least bit intrusive. No one tried to chat me up, or even asked me what I was out doing during the day--some people may think that's unfriendly, but I found it to be a huge relief.

The other nice thing about the place is that it's a bit away from the downtown craziness (but still very close to Tahrir for metro, taxis, etc.). You can actually walk down the block and not have people try to sell you things. (Well, eventually they did--but that was after I'd been there a week.) It's just nice to be able to start your day in Cairo with some genuine friendliness--to the guy running the little grocery downstairs, for instance--before you have get on the defensive against the hustle-y dudes.

That doesn't mean the place is quiet, though--even at the back of the building, the traffic noise is pretty terrible. I used earplugs.

Also, my room had an a/c unit, but no fan. Fortunately, it wasn't that hot, so I could leave the balcony door open and catch a breeze. I bet if I'd thought to ask at the desk, they could've given me a table fan.

Oh, man--and for retro-technology buffs: they have an old-style telephone switchboard, which they actually use. I've been in a lot of old hotels, with these things sitting around like relics in a museum--but I've never seen anyone casually get up and walk over and swap the plugs around to transfer a call. I think it's worth the price of a bed for that alone.

• Stayed May 2007, travelled on business
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank zlo
New South Wales, Australia.
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 February 2007

l stayed in this hotel in May of 2006 and found it to my budget and tastes. Although the Hotel is old and a little run down, it does have it's charm, the staff are very helpful, can arrange a full list of tours if required and try very hard to make your stay an enjoyable one.
Don't get me wrong, this Hotel is not for the 5 star hunter, you will be very disappointed, rooms are large, (l was in a double), air conditioned and ours contained a bar fridge, desk and wardrobe. The bathroom attached was also functional, it had a bath/shower, toilet and hand sink, all very basic.
Breakfast is served in a large Dining room and is Smorgasborg, l really can't comment on it's quality as l chose to have all my meals out as the Hotel is within walking distance to Felfella Restaurant, a popular eating place for tourists.
The hotel is situated in Downtown Cairo within close walking distance to the museum, shops and eating establishments as well as Taxi's or bus.
The Hotel is also guarded by tourist police with very big guns and you never leave the hotel without at least seeing one, it is also very close to 5 star hotels that are very well guarded so security is assured.
ln all, l enjoyed my time in this Hotel because it was very conveniently located, the hotel staffs attention and because it was exactly what l expected for the price, l give it a thumbs up and have booked another 4 days accommodation for my visit next month.

• Liked — Location, Price, Staff.
  • Disliked — It was exactly what l expected for the price so no complaints.
  • Stayed February 2007, travelled solo
1 Thank Redskin01
Tongeren, Belgium
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 January 2007

Located a few meters from Semiramis inside a rather dirty old 4 or 5 stories building. Reception on third floor accessible with antique lift. The basic but spacious rooms are cheap, not dirty (cleaned and provided with fresh sheets and towels every day) but then there is the overall grime of ages, the broken down shower curtains, the lack of paint, the absence of decent locks on doors, the greyish shabbiness...The breakfast is a couple pieces of toast, butter, jam, a hard boiled egg and hot tea or coffee.

Qualities other than the price : Ideally located in central Cairo, extremely close to the Egyptian Museum, Sadat metro station and Tahrir Square; friendly staff; proximity of big hotels for 24/7 banking.

This hotel does not comply with western expectations but I would choose it again: always look on the bright side of life !

• Liked — location and price
  • Disliked — shabby
  • Stayed December 2006, travelled as a couple
1 Thank loeloe
Surry, Maine
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 April 2006

My 12 year old daughter and myself stayed at the Garden City House Hotel in Cairo Egypt. It is a three star that is clean, bug free and the staff is top notch, the rooms are basic but what else do you really need beyond that if you are a budget traveler. We stayed their in total for about 20 nights/days. It is very centrally located. The Egyptian museum is very close. And the nile hilton and semiramis is right in the area as well for bank usage and ATM machine. The breakfast at the Garden City House Hotel is just bread,(ask for egyptian bread) jam and a hard boiled egg. You can have dinner there as well which my daughter and I did do. The dinners were soup, a noodle or rice dish, then meat(usually lamb) and vegetable. When we go back to Egypt we will stay here again!

8 Thank AOSC
The Netherlands
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 February 2006

I have been to Egypt 4 times. Saw about all that is going on down the Nile ;-) and I simply love Cairo. I have made many friends in Egypt and like to go there a lot.
In need to lower my costs I was looking for a budget hotel and, with the help of a (German) friend, I found one.

For 3 of my trips I stayed in this hotel while I was in Cairo and I just love it!!

It is on the shores of the Nile in central Cairo. A 5 minutes walk away from the Egyptian Museum. Tahrir Square, with all the connections of public transportation, just at the back of the hotel. Squeezed in between the Semiramis and the Nile Hilton. Same views, less luxury. But who wants luxury? When I am in Cairo I want a clean place to sleep and shower. Nothing more.

That is what I found here. Spacious rooms. Clean and with airco. A balcony, some with views on the Nile. Some with adjusted bathroom, some with bathroom on the floor.

In the old days it was very popular with archeologists and, when being lucky, you can still come across some excavators staying there.

The best thing of it is the price: 12$ a night for a double room with airco and bathroom, including breakfast!

It is not fancy but well worth the money!

You should give it a try!

Dora.

13 Thank Doortje
melbourne
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 December 2005

I found this a good cheap place to stay, the staff were very helpful, the location is very very easy. My only advise would be to ask for room with airconditioning as it can be quiet hot, also for the small amount you have to pay extra its worth having your own bathroom

Stayed July 2005