“A good cosy, stylish, vintage place in heart of Cairo”

Windsor Hotel Cairo
Ranked #23 of 138 Hotels in Cairo
Chandigarh, India
“A good cosy, stylish, vintage place in heart of Cairo”
Reviewed 3 October 2012

This is a place that I stayed in for 5 days. Its nice small place in the heart of Cairo. Its a place to be visited especially for its Barrel Bar.The hotel staff is courteous and they are very helping. The rooms remind you of vintage colonial era.I was alone in the city and they made me feel at home, its a safe place. When you arrive the place might look old, but the place grows on you.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (79)
  • Arabic first
St. Gallen, Switzerland
Reviewed 29 September 2012

Only went there for drinks and dinner twice and did not stay the night. Next time this is where I will be going because of the wonderful atmosphere and friendly staff. I felt transported directly into George Orwell's Burmese Days or a novel by Graham Greene. Rather a guilty pleasure really to soak up the old colonial atmosphere but it is a haven of tranquility in the midst of the chaos of such a bustling city. Had a long chat with the cook about Cairo and the economic situation of Egypt with a troubled tourist industry. Very insightful man and most friendly, so also the almost obsequious but very sweet barman. Really worth a visit if only for drinks and a can of tea. The food was also surprisingly good, slightly oily in general but tasty and I had no nasty repercussions.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank wowbaggerwannabe
York, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 August 2012

Stayed here recently for a week with my 2 teenage daughters during Ramadan.If you are the kind of person visiting Cairo for a cultural experience, I can think of no reason to stay anywhere else.
Others reviews have covered the colonial air of the place, the lift being the most notable, as well as the comfortable bar where you can cool down at the end of the day with a cool beer.
The location can be noisy, the hotel is fine.After a few days we slept fine, but you are in the middle of Downtown.This is a positive, as soon as you step outside the hotel you are in the hustle of the city.Breakfast is average, but satisfactory, the tea was good.Sometimes we got fresh grapes.renovated bathroom worked fine, AC cool.Very clean.
Be sure to visit Birqash Camel market and Mubaraks torched headquarters at the back of the Egyptian Museum.If you need some Western relief, get a cab to Citystars mall in Heliopolis.
Recommend a guide to get the best out of most trips, even the Museum.Try mature guide Nasser Fayed for the trip to the Camel Market alfayednasser@hotmail.com
Bank and exchange offices nearby.
No signs of unrest, everyone pleased to see you.Come enjoy the largest city in Africa and its friendly people.

Room Tip: Ensure any room booked is in a renovated room on a high floor, with Ac and a fridge.
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Redlehmann
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 16 August 2012

I've just spent another couple of nights at the Windsor Hotel.
The staff are extremely friendly & helpful. I've been able to sit down with the owner & have long conversations - it's like staying with family.
I love this hotel for many reasons: central location, reasonably priced, large "old world" rooms, comfortable beds, original furnishings & decor, wonderful staff that I've come to know, breakfast included, free internet.
You can relax in the lounge area amid original furnishings, order a drink, meal or snack & enjoy the wonderful atmosphere of this once grand hotel.
The hotel staff can arrange transport, tours etc - whatever you require - nothing is too hard.
I can't recommend The Windsor Hotel more highly.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled solo
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 August 2012

We stayed here purely because Michael Palin and Karl Pilkington had stayed here but we wouldn't return.

The good:
The hotel is in great location of the Egyptian Museum, about a 15minute walk which is fairly un-hassled.
The tour guide connected to this hotel (Mina) is wonderful, he took us to the pyramids one day and the Islamic city the next day and was really helpfull, not very pushy and a really friendly guide, giving us lots of advice about how to spend our time in Cairo.
All the staff are really friendly.

The iffy:
Erian the guy at reception organised our trips to Aswan, Luxor etc, we were really pleased about this as we didn't want the hassle and he did organise it really well and we had a lovely cruise ship to Luxor etc but beware that the lonely planet book will say this is a scam. The hotel does take a large cut and it would be alot cheaper to do this yourself.
The hotel is like stepping back in time and is absolutely ancient! Some people like my partner loved this, I think I found this a bit too much as everything looked like it was going to break!

The bad:
The beds feel like stone and are incredibly uncomfortable.
The shower was shared with the toilet floor space so water ran everywhere.
There wasn't always someone to operate the lift so sometimes we had to walk up 4 flights of stairs.
The breakfasts are terrible, basically bread and butter.
The hotel is very far away from things like the pyramids, Cairo Tower, restaurants that we went to and so it took over an hour to get home.

If you like oldy worldly hotel you will love this, the bar is amazing and so old but it was just over-priced for what it was.

Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
4 Thank ShayShay7107
Préverenges, Suisse
Reviewed 15 August 2012

The rooms are clean and confortable and some bathrooms have been renovated. The bar area is splendid with an atmosphère of the 1950's. The elevator and the telephone are real antiques but still work after a century. Serveral films were shooted at the Windsor. The staff is very helpful and kind and the food is good. Quite noisy, but OK.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
Portland, Oregon
Reviewed 12 August 2012

Ignoring the recent postings about how this hotel had gone downhill, I gave it a try anyway because I had stayed here 9 years ago and found it OK, if run down a bit.  Back then I was a more strident backpacker and this place was better than hostels and so a nice change.  I realize now that I ignored those recent postings at my peril.  We just stayed there again last week and I agree that it's only getting worse because it's stuck in time (like 1947??) with few modern upgrades and a crappy breakfast.  But it had other issues beyond just being outdated.

First off, I booked online about a month in advance and the prices were much higher than I expected, but I was partly agreeing to pay for familiarity of neighborhood, etc.  Cairo can be a crapshoot on quality, and I at least knew this place.  I ALWAYS pay more for AC in places like Egypt (especially in August), but when I got there they told me I had booked the "fan" room and it was $12 more for AC.  I thought $46 was ridiculous to begin with, and now it was $58 in low season for an old hotel. OK, maybe my mistake on the fan/AC, but I suspect the description for the room didn't mention a fan and I just assumed AC for Cairo at a "decent" hotel for $46.  I would never have purposely booked a non-AC room, period.  Regardless, we paid extra and moved rooms.

The bathroom in the AC room had been completely modernized with tile, etc and looked new, so that's a plus.  (Note that hotel rooms in Egypt vary widely even in the same hotel, so our newly-upgraded bathroom may not be the case in all rooms).  Hot water worked great.  Noise wasn't a problem from the street, but the family next door with small children were loud at times, and our rooms were connected by a locked door with no soundproofing.

AC worked great, so no worries there either.  Apart from the bathroom, the rest of the room was stuck in 1947 or so with all furnishings, including the telephone (who cares about that though) and the TV (also not the reason I came to Cairo, but a TV from the 1940s?  Really?  Why bother?).  The beds looked like hospital beds and had wheels on them.

The "barrel lounge bar" was OK, if dated, and it had free wifi.  So that was fine too.  It's low season and it was also Ramadan, so not much action here and very quiet.  Prices for food were OK for a hotel, but not a big selection either.  The bartender/waiter was very friendly and helpful.

The downstairs reception uses a switchboard that is 100 yrs old almost -- no kidding, that's what they told me.  They plug in cords and flip switches to make calls internally.  Maybe you find that "charming."  Didn't affect us really either way, but it's a prime example of how they want to keep this hotel stuck in time.  Thus, I guess, people pay for the nostalgia of it.

When we went to pay our bill with a credit card, they had to take us up 3 flights to a small office since that's the only place with the hand-held credit card machine (not sure why reception can't plug this in).  There is just one old elevator of the "cage" style and you must wait for someone to come and operate it for you.  You can't just get in and push buttons yourself.  So that's a pain at times if you are 5 floors up, as we were, because it's not like the guy was always in the elevator waiting.  Sometimes reception had to ring him and find him if you wanted to use the elevator and he wasn't around.

We paid extra for the "breakfast" plan.  It was 2 rolls, 2 pieces of white bread (not toast), crappy coffee, a bunch of grapes, an apple juice mini carton and 2 packets of jam & butter.  Even at low end places I usually get a boiled egg or maybe a yoghurt.  So this was really disappointing as we had paid more for this and we were off to an early tour of the pyramids, with everything closed for Ramadan food-wise.  We just went hungry.

Staff was friendly enough, but reception pushed tours on me constantly and that got old.  The area around is fine and within 15 minute walk to Egyptian Museum.

All in all I think this is NOT worth the price we paid.  Maybe $30 a night.  If you like old furniture, old style elevators, switchboards, etc, then you may find it 'charming,' and I'm sure that this is precisely why some people stay here.  If you want modern amenities (like after 1980 even), go elsewhere.

• Stayed August 2012