“Brilliant Hotel”

Ranked #22 of 138 Hotels in Cairo
Moscow
“Brilliant Hotel”
Reviewed 23 April 2009

Brilliant hotel for a long or short stay in Cairo. All speak English and are very friendly. Breakfast is very good and tasty. The rooms are really comfortable and warm, lovely beds and really nice bathrooms. It's location, in the city center, is ideal just 10 mins walk to the Nile-river and all most popular places in Cairo. Despite the fact that the Cairo is very noisy city, the atmosphere in the hotel is quiet and calm.

• Stayed April 2009, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (81)
  • Arabic first
Oxford
Reviewed 22 April 2009

Windsor hotel is an outstanding bar/hotel. As it happened to be my first time to Cairo, of which I had heard long and praising comments from family and friends alike, of it's majestic history, it's tranquil sceneries, and of course, the great pyramids along with peaceful walks on the Nile banks; I was shocked to find the unmoveable traffic and suffocating pollution, frankly, I felt a bit disappointed, but thankfully I was proved wrong when I stepped onto the red carpet of the Windsor and was immediately greeted with a warm smile where I was handed the keys to my room. I was quite amazed by it's old elevator which is still in perfect condition and manually operated. The room was absolutely comfortable with it's stuffed beds and puffy pillows. All in all though non amounted to the grandeur of the bar, with it's barrel chairs and a nice cold beer to cool down after a long and stuffy day.
The Windsor is a home away from home, it is truly an awe inspiring paradise.

• Stayed March 2009, travelled solo
Santa Rosa
Reviewed 21 April 2009

This hotel is very clean. The rooms are small but how much time do you spend in your hotel room? The staff is great!!! I was sick and one of the waitresses gave me a home remedy. The lounge is historical, everything in the lounge and lobby is a treasured antique! The cute little elevator is way cool! I loved this hotel and will stay here again if/when I revisit Cairo!!!!!!!!! PS I'm the teenager!!

• Stayed April 2009, travelled with family
devon
Reviewed 16 April 2009

This was my fourth stay at the Windsor Hotel, everything from the fabulous lift to the bakerlite phone was exactly the same. As a woman travelling alone it was very reassuring. I was greeted warmly by the reception staff (unchanged) taken up to my room with victorian sink and overstuffed mattress (unchanged) and took a cold beer in the fantastic bar (unchanged apart from the welcome addition of free WIFI) If you want all the modcons this hotel is not for you, If you are charmed by crazy old British icons, in a hotel that makes Cairo completely accessible then you can't go wrong.

Berkshire
Reviewed 9 April 2009

Don't be fooled by the slightly shabby look of the rooms and entrance to this 3* Cairo gem - from the original cage-type hand operated lift to the flaking paint on the balconies, flow quiet charm and faded elegance. Rooms are not luxurious, but wonderfully clean, comfortable and airy.

Cairo is noisy, busy and dusty, and the quiet lounge bar, small restaurant and seriously friendly staff make this hotel your haven of peace & calm. When you have seen all the sights that you can take for one day, or walked your feet sore around the nearby Islamic quarter, you will be welcomed into the bar and revived with a cold drink and comfortable chair. The proprietors are often to be found in here in the afternoons, chatting to their guests, ensuring that all is well.

Eating in the hotel restaurant is cheap and rewarding - the Egyptian specialities were uniformly delightful, especially the wickedly indulgent Om Ali!

The hotel-organised tours of Saqqara & Giza are exceptional value - although entrance to the sights is not included in the price, they are, compared to the equivalent in the UK, so peppercorn that it really doesn't matter.

When I go back to visit Luxor & Aswan, I shall make a point of adding a couple of nights in Cairo just to revisit this wonderful hotel. As a point of interest, this is the place where Michael Palin stayed in Cairo during his 'Around the World in 80 Days' series - if you know the series, you will know what sort of place he used, and that is probably the best recommendation I can give you!

You can stay in touch with home or work using the free wifi in the lounge & bar, and if you haven't brought your own laptop you can hire the hotel's own. The cafe across the road is a gem - two strong coffees and a bottle of water was only LE 14!

Noosaville, Australia
Reviewed 6 April 2009

If you want a hotel that is in walking distance of many of Cairo's attractions with friendly staff then this is the place for you. We stayed for two weeks so feel we got to know The Windsor very well. We had a deluxe room but did see some of the basic rooms on the top floor, these were very basic but clean. Our room was very big with old/antique furniture, the beds were very firm but surprisingly comfortable. The staff were so friendly and helpful and the owners very visible and were also very willing to help in any way they could. We booked a few trips through the reception staff and they seemed well priced and well organised. They did offer to secure the taxis we wanted but in the end we found we could get them cheaper ourselves. A transfer from the airport is a must because not all taxi drivers in Cairo know their way around the city . What made our stay in this hotel different to other hotels we have stayed in around the world was the diverse group of people we met in the bar. The bar is famous and has been featured in a few movies and documentaries.

• Stayed March 2009, travelled as a couple
boston
Reviewed 5 April 2009

I just stayed at the Windsor for 2 nights, and had been nervous b/c of the reviews here. But it exceeded my expectations - I had arranged for pick-up through the hotel, and as soon as I got off the plane there was a gentleman who helped me purchase my tourist visa and arranged for transport to the hotel. I opted for a single bedroom with a shower (but an outside toilet), and was happy that the room was very very clean. The carpet is definitely outdated but clean, and the bed sheets, towels, and shower were perfect. I also saw another double room just to check, and similarly found it to be very clean. The only downside was that the toilet I used (outside the room) had a door that was difficult to open and was in poorer condition than the other facilities. The breakfast is definitely minimal (toast with jam, and coffee/tea/juice) but the staff is very friendly and the breakfast room is beautiful in the morning. The restaurant bar/lounge is really wonderful - free wireless internet, a wonderful staff, and amazing food (the tahini is particularly awesome). As mentioned previously, the hotel is in a great location - within walking distance to the Egyptian Museum and I felt safe the entire time I was here. There's an ATM that's literally across the street from the hotel. It's a bit noisy but so is all of Cairo. I also took the arranged tour to the pyramids - basically the driver gave us a tour of islamic cairo and then dropped us off at the pyramids, picked us up and gave us lunch (for 100 egyptian pounds per person). So in sum, I really enjoyed my visit and would definitely return here. It's a great deal for the location, staff, and in-house restaurant.