“Comfortable; clean; friendly; I would stay there again!”

Windsor Hotel Cairo
Ranked #24 of 137 Hotels in Cairo
Canberra, Australia
“Comfortable; clean; friendly; I would stay there again!”
Reviewed 16 February 2010

POSITIVE: staff: courteous, friendly, helpful, knowledgeable; free WiFi; excellent cheap eats within easy walking distance; great sweet shop nearby; easy walk to mosques, souks, bazaars, museums; there are less expensive places nearby, but smaller rooms, fewer facilities, and I don't know about their staff; I would absolutely stay here again and I've already recommended it to my travel agent friends

NEEDS IMPROVEMENT: nearly everybody (staff, guests) smoked, and community rooms/lounge were impossible for me; continental breakfast was too little, same every day; a little bit of "Egyptian" for breakfast could go a long way

• Stayed January 2010, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (80)
  • Arabic first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 February 2010

I should have paid more attention to my Rough Guide which on reflection got it spot on,
The good points were that the hotel is located in a good central location and the desk staff were courteous and helpful. Problem is that this hotel trades, in there own words, on it's faded glory. The ancient wooden passenger lift and the colonial bar are quite novel, but beyond that it's just run down and very dirty. In mine the carpets and curtains were filthy and the wallpaper was barely staying on the walls. I wonder how long you can keep extracting income from a formerly nice hotel without putting a penny piece back into it.
At 46 dollars a night for a room it's also quite poor value and for that the breakfast you're served is laughable; a small glass of orange squash, a croissant and a bread roll with one cheese triangle and portion of jam.

• Stayed February 2010, travelled solo
Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed 8 February 2010

I love the feeling of staying at the Windsor Hotel but I am getting the feeling more and more that someone of my color, who is born and educated and lives and travels in the manner white people of the same upbringing and education as I have had do; I am getting the feeling that someone of my color makes staff and management throughout the world's "traveller trails" a little nervous or unsettled? Essentially, what I am saying is that I love the structures/buildings of Cairo and the surrounding awesomeness of the pyramids and its history but I continue to be weary of the economics of it all.

I read that lots of white people found the Windsor staff helpful. Well, maybe those white people had a lot of money to spend. (I see from the reviews one set of white people actually took a taxi to the Cairo Museum which is within walking distance!) I, on the other hand, have almost nothing to spend beyond hotel, airport transfers, food and taxes here there and everywhere. I chose the Windsor because it is my kind of place and it is!

I love the falling apart room and the fierce hot shower water that comes gushing out after a ten minute warm-up. I love the lift. The antiques. The restaurant and the quaint, dusty entrance to the hotel. It really is a site to behold. Though, as lovely as the old British nostalgia is, I am sure the hotel makes enough money to put some nice new Anglo-centric style wallpaper on the room walls and some heaters in the cheaper rooms! Also, imagine some reno work on some of the old fixtures and moldings? This would be an INVESTMENT in the historical value of the building itself and certainly raise the entire value of the property should the owners ever want to sell it. Also, it is central, right within the fabulous filth an chaos that is Cairo. And, it IS filthy, chaotic and, ultimately, charming, especially the way it and the people who make it Cairo move and meander. A truly captivating experience!

However, back to the money issue and this brings me to the STAFF at the hotel. Having no money as a traveller does not rule out traveling anywhere. Why should I be forced to pay beyond what I can as some kind of surcharge/fee/fine for just having the privilege to travel in the first place? Members of the staff are, like the rest of Cairo, out for a hustle and to make a few L.E.s here and there. I understand because I have hustled all my life to even get a chance to visit incredible places like Egypt. MANAGEMENT and STAFF, especially of hotels/guest houses listed in budget travel guides, need to remember that the REASON people are staying in THEIR hotel is because they are on a budget or, as in my case, don't even have enough money to be on a budget. AND, there are many travelers like myself!

So, if I ask for directions to a place or for alternatives to the foreign dependence on taxis, don't tell me that there is no other way than by taxi. The men who work the front desk at the Windsor are NOT forthcoming with inexpensive alternatives for obviously cash-strapped individuals such as myself. LET YOUR GUESTS KNOW that there are ways, such as by METRO or BUS or FOOT, to get to places. DON'T SELL postcards, sell maps such as the one on the Front Desk. Don't send an 85 L.E. minibus to pick up ONE person when there are 60 L.E. car options for airport pick-up. EXAMPLE:

ME: How do you get to the Saudi Arabian Embassy?
RECEPTION: Taxi.
ME: Isn't there another way to Giza?
RECEPTION: Giza far. Too far.
ME: But, what about the METRO? It goes to Giza.
RECEPTION: (Visibly shocked) But, still too far.
ME: But, it would be cheaper to get the taxi from the Giza METRO, yes? Than to take a taxi all the way from the hotel to the embassy in Giza?
RECEPTION: As you like. Do as you like.

These kinds of exchanges occur all the time here and I have only been here for four days. It is definitely due in part to language and culture barriers. But, isn't clear that I am searching for a cheap way to get to my destination? Working within hotel contexts regardless of language, there are certain questions that are par of the course. Help me out a little. Keep a list of bus numbers and their routes. Give directions to the subway. help people out. Don't make them ask all the questions.

I was told that a lot of this passive-aggressive behavior stems from the embattled economy in Cairo. People are suffering even though they're working. But, what can one poor traveler do to mend this situation. The irony is: I am here to see something that wasn't even built or created in this millennium! That's what I came for and that is all I have the money for. NOTHING else!

Nevertheless, I could feel everywhere in the hotel, from the eyes of the staff, all staff, a yearning to get something out of every guest. I thought I was being classist. But, the looks and stares were there; probably because I was the only non-white traveler in the hotel.

But, I ask the management: even if your workers are desperate inside, ask them NOT to look at the guests with this look of needing something or wanting something from you. Let the hustle go on outside because, well, it's inappropriate and tiresome to begin with and I just don't want any of it inside. EGYPTIANS need to unionize and organize against their political systems and not let the muftis tell them to sit back and wait for paradise. Just leave the travelers be and be kind and honest and friendly and proud and then maybe you will benefit from the economy they have strapped to their waists and stashed away in those money pelts.

EVIDENCE: Today at the bar, I paid for my coffee but the person I was paying asked to keep the tip that was meant for the server. It was only 1 pound to me but something to the person behind the bar. Being a VERY porous and equitable and political person I could feel that needing and wanting everywhere in the hotel and the situation in the restaurant confirmed what I could sense everywhere. I ended up giving another pound to the server. That was the cost of a large bottle of water from the shop across from the hotel.

When you are living on 40 pounds/day, it all adds up.

• Stayed February 2010, travelled solo
1 Thank Faizal D
Georgia
Reviewed 5 February 2010

I just visited Cairo and I was so thrilled I spent 9 nights at the Windsor. From the moment you walk in you feel the classic charm of the hotel. The staff is wonderful and they are always there to help you in anyway you might need. I cannot say enough about how wonderful everyone at the hotel was to our group. Samir is great on organizing a city tour or anything you might want to see in the city.
The location is excellent you are right in the heart of Cairo. The bar area is a great place to hang out with friends after a exciting day in the city. If you are looking for a a hotel with a historic feel and charm you need to stay at the Windsor.

Stayed January 2010, travelled with friends
Shanghai, China
Reviewed 3 February 2010

The staff at the Windsor went out of their way to make sure that my friend and I were okay every place we went. Whether it was taking us to get a SIM card for our cell phone or directing us to a pharmacy for sunscreen and off, they were nice, patient, and very helpful. That the building has not been changed since its original British Officers Club status is great; it is beautiful with lots of unique charms.

• Stayed January 2010, travelled with friends
St. Louis, Missouri
Reviewed 29 January 2010

The Hotel Windsor is worth looking at. We were trying to stay at the Longchamps but it was full and they suggested this hotel as an alternative. We could not book the hotel directly or through most services but were able to book it through Venere.com. We spent two enjoyable evenings eating and drinking in the 2nd floor lounge. The lounge staff were friendly and helpful - the front desk staff were ok. The room was large, clean, quiet but also aging and basic - as was expected. The bathroom was large and ok - which probably is all you expect at this price point - and plenty of hot water! Cairo is a noisy city but the street noise outside wasn't a big problem in our room. Cairo is difficult to find your way around so make sure you have a driver or have a good map.

We appreciated the pre-arranged transfer from the airport to the hotel as our drive had great personality and was a good tour guide. The hotel arranged a driver for our pyramids tour the next day and he was good - we had to be very specific that we wanted to do a private tour and that we were going to Giza, Saqqara, and Dashur. The hotel called a taxi to take us back to the airport and we were amazed the car made it - but we did get there on time.

• Stayed December 2009, travelled as a couple
dionehic
Reviewed 28 January 2010

After disappointedly staying one night at Pension Roma, we moved to Windsor Hotel. The ownesr/managers and staff were so incredibly helpful and hospitable, the beds were a touch hard but still comfortable,everything was clean and good hot showers. The food in the restaurant is mediocre. Instead, for good cheap Egyptians eats I would recommend Gad which is very close by. Also, I cannot recommend the laundry service as a few of my things were stretched out and the dye rubbed out of a pair of my pants. But truly, everything else was fabulous. It is a three star hotel, so keep that in mind. It has an old world elegance and charm. Free wi-fi in the lounge. We really appreciated our stay there.

• Stayed January 2010, travelled with family