“Dont stay here”

Salma Hotel
Salma Hotel
Ranked #109 of 139 Hotels in Cairo
Reviewed 23 October 2009

I stayed at this hotel at the beginning and end of an Imaginative Traveller tour of Egypt. Let me go through this 1 step at a time, I’ll cover location, entrance, room, restaurant, bar and staff; if you don’t have much time the short version is DON’T STAY HERE.
Location, the hotel is in the back streets of Cairo, I would not recommend a woman on her own going out into the streets around this hotel, I’m not saying you will get assaulted but expect hassle, staring and shouting.
Entrance, the hotel has a nice entrance and reasonable reception; the people on reception are friendly but have limited English. Do not exchange currency in the hotel the exchange rate was 40% worse than most banks.
Room, its shabby and when I mentioned being bitten the tour guide immediately got the room sprayed, this may suggest the hotel has a problem with fleas. The bathrooms vary in size but are in a poor state of repair. The beds, pillows and sheets should be replaced. If I had booked this tour, after seeing this room I would have upgraded straight away.
Restaurant, expect cheap and nasty the food in here may not give you food poisoning but it isn’t nice.
Bar, this is about 10m square, no natural light, but it is cheap.
Staff, the staff are friendly enough but their English is very limited so don’t expect to get any problems understood or resolved.

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled with family
7  Thank lambandmint
There are newer reviews for Salma Hotel

Reviewed 18 May 2009

We stayed here before and after a group tour. It was relatively clean, tidy and the location was convenient. The staff were very helpful, happy to organise trips to Saqqara and Memphis, and there were always taxi drivers hanging out ready to take us downtown (be prepared to haggle though!)

Our room was on the fourth floor. The room was an OK size, and the bathroom was clean. The breakfast provided was OJ from powder, pastries, salad and eggs.
The rooftop "bar" was the best part of the hotel - we sat upstairs to relax after our days of sightseeing.

• Stayed: January 2006
2  Thank Liz G
Reviewed 29 March 2009

We stayed at the Salma Hotel unfortuntaley for 5 nights pre and post a tour. The rooms are disgusting, dirty (had to change our rooms due to a digusting bathroom), small and unsafe - exposed electrical cords everywhere.
Be careful of the taxi drivers out the front, especially Ali - they will rip you off as soon as they have a chance. Better of walking to the main road (5 mins away) and negotiating a taxi from the street.
The only good thing - the Steak Out resturant just down the road - excellent service and food and reasonably priced. No alcohol though.
The location of the hotel is not great as cant walk to any tourist attraction or the Nile.

Final conclusion - aviod this place at all costs; if part of a tour stay elsewhere.... trust me on this.

• Stayed: March 2009, travelled as a couple
4  Thank iloveaustralia
Reviewed 12 March 2009

My tour began and ended at the Salma Hotel. It was not a great stay but not so bad that I would not consider the Salma on some future (but short) visit. The main problem was that a building directly across the street was being demolished. Work began at 11pm and continued until 4pm. Then there was the 5pm call to prayer--a mosque is located two buildings away. It appeared that the hotel staff did call the police regarding the building demolition but to no avail.

The rooms are adequate in size but, if sharing with another person, you should know that person very well. Bedding was clean and the beds and on the good side of the comfortable scale. Bathrooms were clean but basic.

We tried the restaurant once. Again, like much of the hotel, it was basic, unimaginative, nothing there to recommend. There are better places to eat in the areas and they are posted in the hotel lobby.

Staff was friendly and helpful. I did not experienced any deceit by anyone. Make sure that you have a confirmed price before agree to anything in Egypt. I recommend having the hotel staff arrange a taxi for you. They usually know the drivers and will get a better price than you will. It was not unusual for return trips to the hotel to be double (or more) than the original ride.

The hotel is not in a location that I would consider walkable to any of the attractions in Cairo.

If you are concerned with cigarette smoke, the aroma is fairly heavy in the bar and it is noticeable in the lobby and restaurant. But this is the norm for most of Egypt.

I would recommend this hotel to a friend whose consideration is primarily price and a clean and safe place to crash.

• Stayed: February 2009, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Bothercollie
Reviewed 20 November 2008

I stayed at the Salma as part of a tour. Room, reception staff and breakfast were OK, but... the young woman who runs the 'internet cafe' in the hotel tried to massively overcharge me for some postcards and stamps; one of the servers in the hotel restaurant tried the same thing for a meal.

• Stayed: October 2008
3  Thank GattaMelata
Reviewed 10 November 2008

Just stayed at the Salma..All I wanted was a clean, safe room and that is exactly what I got. I wasn't expecting anything fabulous so I wasn't disappointed!. The room was clean and the staff were very friendly. They helped us rent a taxi for 4 hours then assisted us with a taxi to the airport..Excellent Steakhouse a block away called SteakOut. Wonderful food and cheap!!! There is also a Costa Coffee just around the corner that sells great muffins and sandwiches. I also felt very safe in that area.

• Stayed: November 2008, travelled solo
2  Thank lamby1975
Reviewed 18 July 2008

I stayed at the Salma because by tour started from there.

The hotel was okay. It was nothing spectacular, but it certainly wasn't the worst I had ever stayed at. The rooms were clean but a little on the shabby side. The food came to the table hot. The staff were friendly and helpful. Laundry service was cheap and reasonably well done.

My beefs were:
-No one had change. A foreign tourist will generally only have large bill to start with so when we need to use the internet or buy bottles of water before starting out for the day it would be a whole lot more helpful for them to have it on hand.
-My sink leaked all over the floor
-The taxi driver with the air conditioned cab that hung around the hotel all day was shifty. He only pretended not to have change to overcharge us though I can't prove it

• Stayed: May 2008, travelled solo