1,882 results
All reviewsthe executive loungenile viewasian restaurantroom servicebreakfast buffetvery nice hotelspecial thankshouse keepingenjoyed my staybusiness tripegyptian museumfour seasonstahrir squarekamalaconciergemrcorniche
Reviewed 23 November 2009

First of all let me state the good things of the hotel. It is clearly a nicely located 5 * hotel. It is not far up the Nile from the Egyptian Museum (we walked it, though maybe a little long in the conditions). It is very impressive on entrance and the facilities are what you would expect of this class of establishment. I stayed in a Deluxe Nile view King bedroom. It was a decent size although maybe not as big as I hoped for the Deluxe. It did have a Nile view, however after staying in a Luxor hotel overlooking the Nile the view paled in comparison. The bed was amazing. The TV was an older quite large square CRT. A DVD player and other luxuries were provided.

The bathroom was grand and nice. The shower was very powerful. Plentiful towels, amenities etc. The shower was designed oddly with a big gap at the bottom of the door. With the powerful shower quite a lot of water comes out, however the plentiful towels soon sorted that out.

We didn't use many facilities apart from the Lebanese restaurant. We enjoyed the service there, the view and atmosphere (although next to an open air disco, the music may put off some). The food was good apart from the dodgy cheese in the dessert. We enjoyed this and didn't mind paying a lot.

Use of the internet PC's was a ridiculous $25 for 15 minutes computer use. This would be obscene even in London. Round the back of the hotel I went to an internet café (although hard to find) for 1 Egyptian pound for half an hour (less than 20 cents).

In general the hotel was good, I'd paid £150 a night using an agent.

I however encountered some issues that spoilt my experience.

First of all a British citizen in an extremely westernised and expensive hotel should not be hassled about marriage papers without any prior warnings as to this requirement, regardless of whether my newly wed wife had a middle eastern background. I dread to think what would have happened if we'd been travelling together un-married as we have done in the past in Morocco and Yemen. We did not get this problem at other Egyptian hotels and I did not expect it in relatively liberal Egypt.

Secondly, I had paid up front a month earlier, using a trusted partner ('Travelocity' using lastminute.com) and received confirmation with explicit instructions to the hotel not to charge me again. On arrival I was required to be charged $200 that would be refunded, in case of mini bar expenditure. I was not prepared for this on my two night stay.

Their system said funds had not cleared from the agent for the room. I chased this up everyday I stayed there, giving them a copy of my bill that included credit card charge and the instructions. I was assured this was not a problem.

However on checking out in a hurry at 5am I was then asked to sign a non refundable credit card bill with no specified amount to charge, to be filled in later. This was unacceptable. After I argued this I was asked to sign a bill paying a much higher price, in case the agent did not come through with funds, putting on me liability for something I had not agreed to and was not forewarned to. With this mentality I could have been forced to pay any amount and Conrad would not accept any liability at all for its established trusted partner. The only positive was that after an hour of arguing the credit card agreement was agreed on the lesser amount. I was never charged this as the funds must have eventually come through. This was a bad hotel-agent partnership. I was delayed arguing for an hr at 6 in the morning. I hope this isn't a common experience, but it's lacking of such an evidently wealthy hotel trying to strong arm me over a two night stay I had already paid for.

• Stayed: November 2009, travelled as a couple
6  Thank ljb26
Reviewed 17 November 2009

It is near the Nile river. It has a pool, put it is not worth it. The service is absolutely perfect. The rooms very large and of course very clean. Breakfast....? Comments cannot describe it. PERFECT! May be the best hotel in Cairo.

• Stayed: March 2008, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 15 November 2009

The hotel seems to cater for the package tourist rfather than teh business guest. Internet access was poor, insecure and exorbitantly expensive, and I had to check the bill very carefully when I discovered that over $150 had been added for items that should have been in the inclusive rate. I will be looking for another hotel on my next trip.

• Stayed: November 2009, travelled on business
2  Thank Colonel_9
Reviewed 7 November 2009

We stayed just for 1 night/2 days, but it was a very comfortable stay. Considering that it's a five start hotel, we didn't think that it matched inernational standards (cracks in bathroom tiles, not spotlessly clean!) but apparently Egyptian standards are a little low so in that sense it was pretty good. The rooms and the bathrooms were extremely spacious (our group was spread out in 3 rooms and they were all really good) and the staff was helpful in many aspects, such as putting up a bed for our baby neice, arranging for taxi and guiding is about the timings for markets & rates etc... they showed efficiency. We had the complimentary breakfast, which could have been better though... we've had better buffet spreads at other hotels. But generally it was very comfortable... the entrance and lobby areas are done up very tastefully.

• Stayed: December 2008, travelled with friends
3  Thank sansaad
Reviewed 5 November 2009

v ery good hotel. very well located in the center of cairo. if you wanto to get out and see cairo, this is the best place to stay. i recomend the executive floor.

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled as a couple