“Wonderful hotel - wonderful beds!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Conrad Cairo

Conrad Cairo
Ranked #10 of 139 Hotels in Cairo
Gosport
“Wonderful hotel - wonderful beds!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 December 2009

We stayed at the Conrad Hilton for a short break during our 2 week holiday in Egypt, and it was the best hotel we have ever stayed at. We had brilliant views from our hotel room of the Nile (try to get a room on a high as floor as you can afford). The bedrooms are truly 5 star with the most comfortable bed we have ever been in, and, a pillow menu! Yes thats right, you have a choice of pillows to choose from, to ensure a comfortable night! What service! We had two bedrooms with my husband and me in one, and sister in another bedroom, so we know we weren't just lucky with our room. The bathrooms are wonderful, the staff for your room can't do enough, very very helpful and friendly. The double glazing is amazing as when you're in your room, you don't hear a sound from the road, but whe you open your balcony door you hear the cacaphony of noise which you would expect from Cairo! but you're not disturbed by it in your room. We had our best night sleep from our 2 week trip to Egypt. Other hotels may class themselves as 5 star, but this one truly is.

The breakfasts and restuarants are great, some of the staff could smile a bit more, but hey you can't win them all.

We are hoping to visit Cairo again when we do a Nile Cruise, and will definetly be staying here again.

You can get a cheaper rate sometimes at this hotel if you book as part of a package with another holiday company or tour package, as they can get better discounts than an individual booking, sometimes.

• Stayed May 2008, travelled on business
1 Thank fionaandbenny

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (206)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Memphis
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 December 2009

Very nice; my rating would have been a 5 if we didn't run into a few service issues.

Stayed December 2009, travelled with friends
Kuwait
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 December 2009

We went for a short business trip. I found the hotel staff very very friendly. I loved the cook, as I was the only vegan in the lot, he made special pasta for me.

I love the hospitality of this hotel

• Liked — Staff service, Food
  • Stayed June 2007, travelled on business
      Check-in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
Chicago,IL
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 December 2009

This is good business hotel. Has all 5 star facilities. However the rooms are bit dated. The hotel staff is very friendly and courteous. They go out of the way to make you feel comfortable. However only one restaurant is working. Rest of the restaurants are work in progress. Prior to reservatiions when we made our booking, we asked about the restaurants and unfortunately for the reservation staff lied, saying all restaurants are working. Do get the breakfast package, it is worth it. Room service is good too, excellent Nasi Goreng. They have a bank in the basement you can get your money changed. Though most rooms have a Nile view, but it is not the best Nile view. For $250 a night for 3 guest inclusive of breakfast was a good deal. However will not be back if the restaurants are not working. Would prefer the beautiful Grand Hyatt or the oppulent Four Seasons.

• Stayed November 2009, travelled with family
Stevenage, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 November 2009

First of all let me state the good things of the hotel. It is clearly a nicely located 5 * hotel. It is not far up the Nile from the Egyptian Museum (we walked it, though maybe a little long in the conditions). It is very impressive on entrance and the facilities are what you would expect of this class of establishment. I stayed in a Deluxe Nile view King bedroom. It was a decent size although maybe not as big as I hoped for the Deluxe. It did have a Nile view, however after staying in a Luxor hotel overlooking the Nile the view paled in comparison. The bed was amazing. The TV was an older quite large square CRT. A DVD player and other luxuries were provided.

The bathroom was grand and nice. The shower was very powerful. Plentiful towels, amenities etc. The shower was designed oddly with a big gap at the bottom of the door. With the powerful shower quite a lot of water comes out, however the plentiful towels soon sorted that out.

We didn't use many facilities apart from the Lebanese restaurant. We enjoyed the service there, the view and atmosphere (although next to an open air disco, the music may put off some). The food was good apart from the dodgy cheese in the dessert. We enjoyed this and didn't mind paying a lot.

Use of the internet PC's was a ridiculous $25 for 15 minutes computer use. This would be obscene even in London. Round the back of the hotel I went to an internet café (although hard to find) for 1 Egyptian pound for half an hour (less than 20 cents).

In general the hotel was good, I'd paid £150 a night using an agent.

I however encountered some issues that spoilt my experience.

First of all a British citizen in an extremely westernised and expensive hotel should not be hassled about marriage papers without any prior warnings as to this requirement, regardless of whether my newly wed wife had a middle eastern background. I dread to think what would have happened if we'd been travelling together un-married as we have done in the past in Morocco and Yemen. We did not get this problem at other Egyptian hotels and I did not expect it in relatively liberal Egypt.

Secondly, I had paid up front a month earlier, using a trusted partner ('Travelocity' using lastminute.com) and received confirmation with explicit instructions to the hotel not to charge me again. On arrival I was required to be charged $200 that would be refunded, in case of mini bar expenditure. I was not prepared for this on my two night stay.

Their system said funds had not cleared from the agent for the room. I chased this up everyday I stayed there, giving them a copy of my bill that included credit card charge and the instructions. I was assured this was not a problem.

However on checking out in a hurry at 5am I was then asked to sign a non refundable credit card bill with no specified amount to charge, to be filled in later. This was unacceptable. After I argued this I was asked to sign a bill paying a much higher price, in case the agent did not come through with funds, putting on me liability for something I had not agreed to and was not forewarned to. With this mentality I could have been forced to pay any amount and Conrad would not accept any liability at all for its established trusted partner. The only positive was that after an hour of arguing the credit card agreement was agreed on the lesser amount. I was never charged this as the funds must have eventually come through. This was a bad hotel-agent partnership. I was delayed arguing for an hr at 6 in the morning. I hope this isn't a common experience, but it's lacking of such an evidently wealthy hotel trying to strong arm me over a two night stay I had already paid for.

• Stayed November 2009, travelled as a couple
4 Thank ljb26
Patras, Greece
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 November 2009

It is near the Nile river. It has a pool, put it is not worth it. The service is absolutely perfect. The rooms very large and of course very clean. Breakfast....? Comments cannot describe it. PERFECT! May be the best hotel in Cairo.

• Stayed March 2008, travelled as a couple
Manchester
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 November 2009

The hotel seems to cater for the package tourist rfather than teh business guest. Internet access was poor, insecure and exorbitantly expensive, and I had to check the bill very carefully when I discovered that over $150 had been added for items that should have been in the inclusive rate. I will be looking for another hotel on my next trip.

• Stayed November 2009, travelled on business