“Our Dream Comes True”

Att: Mr. Rafic Khairallah
Hotel Manager
Sofitel Cairo El Gezirah – Egypt

Dear Mr. Khairallah,

Please allow us to introduce ourselves, we are Michael & Engy we had the pleasure of spending two nights after our wedding day on the 11th & 12th of June 2011 at Sofitel El Gezirah hotel and since it was our wedding day and we were very exhausted and on the next day we had travelling plans, we did not had the chance to enjoy our stay so we decided to plan our first wedding anniversary at your lovely hotel from 11th till 13th June, 2012.

Accordingly, we write this email to thank you for your help in making it a wonderful celebration. Starting with the amazing Suite #2216 and the breathtaking view of Nile, also we wanted to thank all your professional teams from the check-in made by Mr. Ahmed at the Towers to Mr. Maher and his team at Sud Restaurant where we had our breakfast, also both Mr. Mohameds at the S.pool, Ms. Mary at the So Spa who helped us reserving massage, were we had the most rejuvenating massage treatment by Ms. Maria, until the check-out they all took care of us like we were king & queen.

Last but not least the amazing romantic dinner at El Kebabgy Restaurant and your lovely gesture with the flowers bouquet, my wife loved it. (Image Attached)

Once again thank you for making our dream comes true and however we would have planned for our first wedding anniversary it we would have not been made as wonderful as you and your professional team made it.

Sincere regards,

Michael & Engy

Room Tip: "Always choose Club Rooms/Suites to experience the luxury life"
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Michael M
Management response:Responded 11 July 2012

Dear Our Valued Guest,

I would like to thank you most sincerely for sharing your thoughts of Sofitel Cairo- El Gezirah with others guests’ on the tripadvisor.

We were very pleased to read that you have enjoyed your stay with us. It is always a great pleasure to receive such compliments, as it truly serves as a motivational factor in striving to achieve excellence.

I do hope that we will have the opportunity once again to serve you in the very near future.

Cordially;

Quality Manager

Write a ReviewReviews (1,732)

Reviewed 17 June 2012

We Checked into this hotel and were lucky enough to be the guest of the day and upgraded to a beautiful suit on the 24th floor that had the most spectacular view of Cairo and the Nile. The location of this hotel was excellent, situated directly on the Nile, Coming down to our breakfast spot every morning was a delight. The infinity pool a superb place to come back and relax by after a chaotic day out in Cairo. The selection of eateries at the Hotel was great. We especially liked the little Moroccan Restaurant. Most of all the Service at this hotel was exceptional. Very friendly and helpful staff were standing by to assist with any needs. Our only criticism would be that the hotel take a cut on all Taxi fares when taken from the hotel. We avoided this by walking out of the complex and talking our own cab around the place. We look forward to visiting this hotel and Cairo again soon. Thank You Sofitel.

Room Tip: Stay on Higher Floors to avoid Party Boat Noise from the Nile. We stayed in 1719 and 2419 on two d...
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
Sofitel_Quality, Manager at Sofitel Cairo El Gezirah, responded to this reviewResponded 29 July 2012

Dear Our Valued Guest,

I would like to thank you most sincerely for taking the time to share your experience at Sofitel Cairo-El Gezirah. Your feedback will be influential in improving your experience on your next stay.

Sincerely yours,

Reviewed 11 June 2012

I checked in on the 9th of June 2012 and stayed there for one night. below is my experience

Taxi to the Hotel
from Cairo international airport I found a taxi easily (airport taxi ) and was a 1 hour trip to the hotel for 90 Egyptian pounds that were paid to some guy in charge of this prior to getting into the cab. make sure if you arrive in summer that the taxi has AC as not all of them have it.

Check-in
at the check-in staff were very friendly , although it took little longer to find a room with a great Nile view but was worth the 20 minutes wait , plus a nice glass of fresh juice was a nice gesture .

Room
at the 11th floor the room had all I needed, furniture was nice, bathroom clean and well equipped, and a nice small balcony with a breath taking view of the Nile . the great thing about this hotel that it is located at the southern tip of the gazirah ( Island) so you have a really unique view.
only issue I faced ( like in many other hotels) was the AC , even if you turn it off it still somehow blows cold air in the room so make sure to have a warm pajama with you if you don’t like cold rooms ( outside its hot but humid) so I wouldn’t recommend opening the balcony

Hotel Facilities
Pool is small with a nice infinity view with the Nile river ( few meters away) , I was hoping for a better pool experience but it was not that bad , and by the way they serve excellent Hamburgers by the pool and cold beer. Breakfast is good , has descent varieties. but the Egyptian Falafel were the peek, amazing . the casino definitely added some thrill to my trip . unfortunately I didn’t have the time to check out the famous Buddha Bar

checkout
again , super friendly staff and helped me in every way until my luggage was in the taxi

( make sure to have many 5 and 10 pound notes in your pocket , they will always come handy in Egypt and for that top service I tip with pleasure)

another thing to keep in mind when choosing this hotel that it takes a small walk from the hotel main entrance to get to the street , so mainly you will end up relying on the hotel taxis that are 35 pounds rather than 5-10 pounds if u stop one on the street. other than that , all was great.

Room Tip: choose a higher room , lots of music from the ground level during the night. also make sure to get a...
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank Elias_Elwerr
Sofitel_Quality, Manager at Sofitel Cairo El Gezirah, responded to this reviewResponded 13 August 2012

Dear Our Esteemed Guest,

I would like to thank you most sincerely for sharing your thoughts of Sofitel Cairo- El Gezirah with others guests’ on tripadvisor. We are very glad to see that you described us as the Sanctuary in Cairo

Sincerely yours,

Reviewed 9 June 2012

2010 NYE party hosted in Buddah Bar was memorable. Perfect organisation, attended by a mix of young successful Egyptians and international customers, international music with a good DJ (cant remember his name but i heard about him in Paris in the past) and a great way to have fun for New Year in a city that does not celebrate it so much given local customs.

Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Jeremy1985
Sofitel_Quality, Manager at Sofitel Cairo El Gezirah, responded to this reviewResponded 14 September 2012

Bonjour!

First of all thank you for your nice comment, the Sofitel Cairo- El Gezirah team as well as the hotel management will be looking forward to your next visit.

We were very pleased that hard work leaves good memory in our guests’ experience even though it has been a long time since your last visit.

Sofitel Cairo-El Gezirah

Reviewed 28 May 2012

Sitting in the Buddha Bar in near darkness aside from the blue light of the bar counter and a few candles you can look out onto the Nile and see the boats slithering around like mayflies with their coloured lights.
In the daytime there is the Jacuzzi which is swimming pool sized which looks out over the Nile from the first floor and overlooks the outdoor swimming pool which overlooks the Nile.
What a; sight for a country girl.
The staff are wonderful.
The food is out of this world.
The business centre is cool.
There are weddings to witness.
The rooms are sumptuous and spotless.
The gym is well equipped.
The beauty saloon and massage is perfect.
The entrance is colonial style and there is a library of all possible Egyptian history in photographs.

Only possible complaint is the screens behind the receptionists which are very disconcerting.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank Jeanniej16
Sofitel_Quality, Manager at Sofitel Cairo El Gezirah, responded to this reviewResponded 5 September 2012

Reviewed 20 May 2012

I Mike Yaqub have stayed at this amazing hotel for the past 4 years. A 5 star rating is an understatement. The service is amazing. The staff if very nice and kind. Especially on the 16th floor. The VIP club. The room service is very good thanks to mohmmad abdelmanam who manages the team. The 16th floor has a great staff including yasser eldessouly, Mahmoud meghawri , mohmed gomaa, amro abd sami, and jalal Ali. Thanks to this staff I have really enjoyed my stay and they could not have made my stay here any better.

Mr. Mike yaqub would like to see the entire staff in the club lounge be retributed for their outstanding and services and work.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled on business

Reviewed 19 May 2012

They are definitely trying hard here to please and from what Ive read of previous reviews improve all aspects. The hotel is well located, well maintained, communal areas and gardens clean, very nice Spa with good treatments. The room was a decent enough size and the bed comfortable, however the decor was very dated and "Accor", functional but can not be described as luxurious. BEWARE, the balcony is a potential death trap, you can trip over the long curtains when they blow in the wind, the balcony is only approx 2ft wide and the hand rail flimsy and a small child could easily squeeze through the bars. After our experiences outside the hotel complex we spent all our evenings in the hotel, Cairo is not a place to go wandering around at night! The food is just average in every way. The cocktails are in dire need of improvement, just dont bother! We did feel at times that the everyone was on the make for a tip (service charge is included in the bills, but I will always tip extra if I feel its worthy). There is one major issue here and thats the awful way men lear at you, even the male hotel staff and other guests of local origin. I did not feel comfortable even in what I would describe as demure attire. On my first morning I had an awful experience with a pool attendent (pool is far too small for this size of hotel and not enough loungers but has a fantastic view of the Nile, pool bar service is hit and miss and the food is more miss than hit) the word harassment does not even describe how it left me feeling, this incident was reported to hotel management. My husband was constantly on edge during our stay in Cairo and was shocked and the unwanted attention I received as a european woman. Overall I would expect this hotel is one of the best in Cairo and perfectly adequate as a base for a 2-3 night stay. Unfortunately it would take a lot to get us back.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled on business
Sofitel_Quality, Manager at Sofitel Cairo El Gezirah, responded to this reviewResponded 22 May 2012

Dear Our Valued Guest,

I would like to thank you most sincerely for sharing your thoughts of Sofitel Cairo- El Gezirah with others guests’ on the tripadvisor, your feedback will be influential in improving guests’ experience.

It was our pleasure having the chance to have you with us. I am extremely sorry that your experience did not meet your expectations for this stay, please accept my sincerest apologist.

After reading your review, we have conducted a thorough investigation of your reporting listed on the Hotel’s Duty Manager Log book and the feedback that it was a result of a misunderstanding due to cultural differences.

It goes without saying that being in the hospitality industry, we expect and demand that our Ambassadors are at all times courteous and friendly and at no point can we condone such attitude.

Please rest assured that I will personally take care of this issue and use it as an example during counseling and training sessions.

Once again my most sincere apologies.

Sincerely Yours,