“A Birthday Treat”

Ranked #5 of 138 Hotels in Cairo
Cairo, Egypt
“A Birthday Treat”
Reviewed 1 July 2012

A couple of days ago, it was my birthday, and the husband excelled himself by booking lunch and a massage at this hotel.

We didn't stay as our flat is only five minutes down the road but we did have time to relax and enjoy the ambience. This isn't the most beautiful of buildings but inside the hotel is wonderful, a stylish fusion of Arabic and modern. It is situated right on the end of El Gezira Island so has the Nile on three sides. The pool and spa look out straight over the Nile and the gardens, which were in full flowers, are lovely.

We had lunch which was very good and reasonable by international standards. My selected of middle eastern dishes was delicious.

All I can say about the spa and massage was that even the next day, amidst the hubbub of Cairo, I still felted pleasantly chilled. The spa was beautiful with lovely wood laden rooms and delicious smelling candles everywhere. I was slightly nervous of the massage having never had one before but the masseuse immediately put me at my ease. I spent a blissful time which felt like 10 minutes but was near an hour, and at the end felt as relaxed as I have in a long time. My only problem with it is that I want to go back again every week.

As a treat in Cairo this was the perfect birthday gift.

Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
Bonjour!

First of all thank you for your nice comment. The whole Sofitel Cairo- El Gezirah team, as well as the hotel management will be looking forward to your next visit.

Quality Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (252)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 June 2012

Stayed in here for 3 nights as part of a trip through Egypt. On arrival was up graded to a luxury room and welcomed to my room by a cute display of Lavendar Macaroons surrounded by flower petals.
I stayed on the 16th floor and had great views of the nile, tahrir square and downtown Cairo, small balcony which provided a great space to read!
Amazing riverside pool area with king sized day beds provided a lovely opportunity to wast away the hours!
On check-in and out a porter happily took my bag as i entered the lobby and walking reception staff assisted when the desk was full to avoid queueing making a quick transition to my room.
Only negative was whilst waiting to speak to a concierge, I had to stand for 5minutes at an empty desk whilst the two on duty concierges had a quite loud arguement behind the door. A bit embarrassing with reception staff looking at me and shrugging. But that must have been a one off as otherwise the stay was immensely pleasureable.

Room Tip: Ask for a south facing room where you see the two sides of the nile converge back to one river
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank Andrew T
Dear Our Valued Guest,

I would like to thank you most sincerely for sharing your thoughts of Sofitel Cairo- El Gezirah with others guests’ on the tripadvisor.

We were very pleased to read that you have enjoyed your stay with us. It is always a great pleasure to receive such compliments, as it truly serves as a motivational factor in striving to achieve excellence.

Please rest assured that your detailed feedback has been very influential in the urge to improve to receive such positive comments.

I do hope that we will have the opportunity once again to serve you in the very near future.

Cordially;

Cairo, Egypt
Reviewed 20 June 2012

Att: Mr. Rafic Khairallah
Hotel Manager
Sofitel Cairo El Gezirah – Egypt

Dear Mr. Khairallah,

Please allow us to introduce ourselves, we are Michael & Engy we had the pleasure of spending two nights after our wedding day on the 11th & 12th of June 2011 at Sofitel El Gezirah hotel and since it was our wedding day and we were very exhausted and on the next day we had travelling plans, we did not had the chance to enjoy our stay so we decided to plan our first wedding anniversary at your lovely hotel from 11th till 13th June, 2012.

Accordingly, we write this email to thank you for your help in making it a wonderful celebration. Starting with the amazing Suite #2216 and the breathtaking view of Nile, also we wanted to thank all your professional teams from the check-in made by Mr. Ahmed at the Towers to Mr. Maher and his team at Sud Restaurant where we had our breakfast, also both Mr. Mohameds at the S.pool, Ms. Mary at the So Spa who helped us reserving massage, were we had the most rejuvenating massage treatment by Ms. Maria, until the check-out they all took care of us like we were king & queen.

Last but not least the amazing romantic dinner at El Kebabgy Restaurant and your lovely gesture with the flowers bouquet, my wife loved it. (Image Attached)

Once again thank you for making our dream comes true and however we would have planned for our first wedding anniversary it we would have not been made as wonderful as you and your professional team made it.

Sincere regards,

Michael & Engy

Room Tip: "Always choose Club Rooms/Suites to experience the luxury life"
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Michael M

Cordially;

Auckland Region, New Zealand
Reviewed 17 June 2012

We Checked into this hotel and were lucky enough to be the guest of the day and upgraded to a beautiful suit on the 24th floor that had the most spectacular view of Cairo and the Nile. The location of this hotel was excellent, situated directly on the Nile, Coming down to our breakfast spot every morning was a delight. The infinity pool a superb place to come back and relax by after a chaotic day out in Cairo. The selection of eateries at the Hotel was great. We especially liked the little Moroccan Restaurant. Most of all the Service at this hotel was exceptional. Very friendly and helpful staff were standing by to assist with any needs. Our only criticism would be that the hotel take a cut on all Taxi fares when taken from the hotel. We avoided this by walking out of the complex and talking our own cab around the place. We look forward to visiting this hotel and Cairo again soon. Thank You Sofitel.

Room Tip: Stay on Higher Floors to avoid Party Boat Noise from the Nile. We stayed in 1719 and 2419 on two d...
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
Sofitel_Quality, Manager at Sofitel Cairo El Gezirah, responded to this review, 29 July 2012
Dear Our Valued Guest,

I would like to thank you most sincerely for taking the time to share your experience at Sofitel Cairo-El Gezirah. Your feedback will be influential in improving your experience on your next stay.

Sincerely yours,

Jordan
Reviewed 11 June 2012

I checked in on the 9th of June 2012 and stayed there for one night. below is my experience

Taxi to the Hotel
from Cairo international airport I found a taxi easily (airport taxi ) and was a 1 hour trip to the hotel for 90 Egyptian pounds that were paid to some guy in charge of this prior to getting into the cab. make sure if you arrive in summer that the taxi has AC as not all of them have it.

Check-in
at the check-in staff were very friendly , although it took little longer to find a room with a great Nile view but was worth the 20 minutes wait , plus a nice glass of fresh juice was a nice gesture .

Room
at the 11th floor the room had all I needed, furniture was nice, bathroom clean and well equipped, and a nice small balcony with a breath taking view of the Nile . the great thing about this hotel that it is located at the southern tip of the gazirah ( Island) so you have a really unique view.
only issue I faced ( like in many other hotels) was the AC , even if you turn it off it still somehow blows cold air in the room so make sure to have a warm pajama with you if you don’t like cold rooms ( outside its hot but humid) so I wouldn’t recommend opening the balcony

Hotel Facilities
Pool is small with a nice infinity view with the Nile river ( few meters away) , I was hoping for a better pool experience but it was not that bad , and by the way they serve excellent Hamburgers by the pool and cold beer. Breakfast is good , has descent varieties. but the Egyptian Falafel were the peek, amazing . the casino definitely added some thrill to my trip . unfortunately I didn’t have the time to check out the famous Buddha Bar

checkout
again , super friendly staff and helped me in every way until my luggage was in the taxi

( make sure to have many 5 and 10 pound notes in your pocket , they will always come handy in Egypt and for that top service I tip with pleasure)

another thing to keep in mind when choosing this hotel that it takes a small walk from the hotel main entrance to get to the street , so mainly you will end up relying on the hotel taxis that are 35 pounds rather than 5-10 pounds if u stop one on the street. other than that , all was great.

Room Tip: choose a higher room , lots of music from the ground level during the night. also make sure to get a...
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank Elias_Elwerr
Sofitel_Quality, Manager at Sofitel Cairo El Gezirah, responded to this review, 13 August 2012
Dear Our Esteemed Guest,

I would like to thank you most sincerely for sharing your thoughts of Sofitel Cairo- El Gezirah with others guests’ on tripadvisor. We are very glad to see that you described us as the Sanctuary in Cairo

Sincerely yours,

Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed 9 June 2012 via mobile

2010 NYE party hosted in Buddah Bar was memorable. Perfect organisation, attended by a mix of young successful Egyptians and international customers, international music with a good DJ (cant remember his name but i heard about him in Paris in the past) and a great way to have fun for New Year in a city that does not celebrate it so much given local customs.

Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Jeremy1985
Sofitel_Quality, Manager at Sofitel Cairo El Gezirah, responded to this review, 14 September 2012
Bonjour!

First of all thank you for your nice comment, the Sofitel Cairo- El Gezirah team as well as the hotel management will be looking forward to your next visit.

We were very pleased that hard work leaves good memory in our guests’ experience even though it has been a long time since your last visit.

Sofitel Cairo-El Gezirah
Guernsey, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 May 2012

Sitting in the Buddha Bar in near darkness aside from the blue light of the bar counter and a few candles you can look out onto the Nile and see the boats slithering around like mayflies with their coloured lights.
In the daytime there is the Jacuzzi which is swimming pool sized which looks out over the Nile from the first floor and overlooks the outdoor swimming pool which overlooks the Nile.
What a; sight for a country girl.
The staff are wonderful.
The food is out of this world.
The business centre is cool.
There are weddings to witness.
The rooms are sumptuous and spotless.
The gym is well equipped.
The beauty saloon and massage is perfect.
The entrance is colonial style and there is a library of all possible Egyptian history in photographs.

Only possible complaint is the screens behind the receptionists which are very disconcerting.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank Jeanniej16
Sofitel_Quality, Manager at Sofitel Cairo El Gezirah, responded to this review, 5 September 2012