“View plus more”

Ranked #4 of 138 Hotels in Cairo
Vancouver, Canada
“View plus more”
Reviewed 4 February 2010

We booked this hotel with Ahmed Mostafa,marketing manager of Sofitel. From the very beginning his replies to my emails were very prompt.Although we arrived very late at night on Jan. 10,2010,we checked in fast & the room was very modern,clean & had perfect view of the Nile & the city .Bathroom was very clean .I'd say this hotel has the best buffet breakfast from all the hotels we stayed in Egypt.The variety of fruits,cereals ,Egyptian foods,
Omlette station etc . etc. was amazing.Staff was very courteous,welcomed us with open arms.Being our first visit to Egypt & our very first stay, our first impression of Egypt was truly enhanced by the staff of this truly 5 star hotel.Thank You all at Sofitel.

1 Thank salimhirji77
Dalia_Abulwafa, Marketing Manager at Sofitel Cairo El Gezirah, responded to this review, 8 February 2010

Thank you for your visit to Sofitel Cairo El Gezirah.

It was my pleasure to recieve your booking request and we were delighted more to have you with us, I conveyed you valuable comments to our staff. On your next visit try our Friday Brunch, it is full of finger licking varieties. We are looking forward to your next visit, and our staff is waiting to make your stay the most memorable one.

Thank you for your nice comments, should you have and inquiries or requests please do not hesitate to contact me. Looking forward to receiving you again.

Marketing Manager – Sofitel El Gezirah

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (253)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Martinsburg, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 4 February 2010

This is a very nice facility, but it has some serious housekeeping issues. We complained to our tour director about the mold and soap scum in the marble-tiled shower after checking in, and he said it would be taken care of. It was not.

The next day we complained to the front desk directly about the problem and they said it would be resolved. It was not.

On the third day we complained again to our tour director about the shower, but on our return from a day in Alexandria we saw nothing had been done about it. We complained again to the front desk and they sent someone up right away. The man who looked at it said "it's a housekeeping problem" and he would report it.

I see now we should have demanded a different room, but we'll be leaving tomorrow anyway. The irony is that this is a Swiss hotel chain, and the Swiss are known for their cleanliness!

• Stayed February 2010
Dalia_Abulwafa, Marketing and E-Commerce Manager at Sofitel Cairo El Gezirah, responded to this review, 9 February 2010
Dear Sir,

Allow me to seize the opportunity to thank you for taking time to share your comments.

Your comments are valuable for us; it will allow us to enhance our service quality. Please accept our deepest apologies for your inconvenience, this room was immediatly put out of service and proper actions was taken to prevent such incident, we promise we will do our best to prevent it from happening again. We would like to welcome you again to our hotel to witness the increase of service quality.

Should you have any questions or concerns; please do not hesitate to contact me.

Bangalore
Reviewed 24 January 2010

It is located on the bank of river Nile in Cairo, Egypt. The distance from the airport is bit annoying but the hotel is worth the hectic drive. Rooms with nile view is big plus in this hotel.

• Liked — View of the Nile river
  • Disliked — Distance from the airport
  • Stayed November 2009, travelled on business
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank PankajKNeeraj

Thank you for your visit to Sofitel Cairo El Gezirah.

We were delighted to have you with us, I conveyed you valuable comments to our staff. I read in your review a nice comment about the view from the room, it is my pleasure to assure you that all our rooms are sharing the same impeccable views of the Nile. We are looking forward to your next visit, and our staff is waiting to make your stay the most memorable one.

Saint-Petersburg
Reviewed 18 January 2010

We stayed in this hotel from New Year's Eve for a few days. First of all, let me say that we were delighted with the view from our room on 23 floor (club room) only wishing that it were a little roomier, especially the bathroom.

However, I have some serious questions about the club lounge concept. I can understand that they need to limit the free service to soft drinks during the day, and serve alcoholic beverages for free only in the evening, which in this case was for the "happy hour" between 6.30 - 8.00 p.m. However, during other hours, paid drink service could surely be provided if a guest so requires. Indeed, I noted that at other hours, guests were being served wine and spirits, and when asked, the waiter explained that those guest had "an account". Well. being a paying guest at the hotel, I surely had an "account" as well? Why not simply put out a drinks menu for the hours that are not "happy" and let guests decide for themselves if they care to order something and pay for it? Instead, when I arrived one afternoon, thirsty for a beer, I was told in no uncertain terms that this was impossible.

During "happy hour" every day we were there, there was served a cheese tray. The cheeses were lovely, but it is not what you want for an hors d'oeuvres. I think a French person (and this is, after all, a French hotel) would be very suspicious about having to eat cheese as an appetizer. It is something that comes after your meal, and at 6.30 p.m. in Cairo this is usually not the case, unless you have had an exceptionally late lunch, which we tended to have just to compensate for this strange service concept. After the "happy hour", when no drinks were available, they served various Middle Eastern appetizers like hummus, which would have been much better suited to go with the evening "happy" cocktails. But at that time, unless you had this special "account", of course you could not have anything to drink with the hummus.

One evening, I came back feeling hungry and went down to the coffee-shop (Sud) looking for a simple snack, like a club sandwich. No such luck. Although the hotel claims "all day a la carte dining" in this restaurant, they only offered the buffet, and I was shown to the bar (Window on the Nile) where there was a bar menu which I did not find very appetizing. Apparently, I could have had something from the room service menu, but, frankly, by the time I had lost my appetite, especially seeing the prices for this. After this experience, we did not venture to have any more meals in the hotel.

In general, prices for food and drinks in this hotel hover on the outrageous. I am used to paying a small premium on beer and water in a hotel room minibar, but at a factor of x 20 or 30 this becomes ridiculous. I paid 2.50 for a liter of mineral water just outside the hotel; in the minibar half a litre was 30.

As we arrived on New Year's Eve, we were of course interested in seeing if the hotel would offer any celebrations for guests. As it turned out, none was on offer, unless you were willing to pay an exorbitant premium. I would like to share with you our experience from two years back when we were celebrating New Year's in Shanghai, and stayed at the Hyatt. They offered a mid-night reception for all guests in the hotel including French champagne. Nothing remotely like this was offered at this hotel, not even for club guests (only the usual cheese-tray), and the lounge was closed by eleven.

We have stayed in hotels around the world and enjoyed the club lounges in many properties of Hyatt, Starwood, Swissotel etc, and had great spreads of hot and cold hors d'ouvres, unlimited drinks incl. premium brands. The offerings of this hotel seemed very frugal in comparison.

Dear Sir,

Your comments are valuable for us; it will allow us to enhance our Executive Club privileges. Please accept our deepest apologies for your inconvenience. We would like to welcome you again to our hotel to witness the increase of quality.

Los Angeles, CA
Reviewed 18 January 2010

I stayed at the Sofitel Gezirah for 3 nights. This was my first time in Cairo, and I have to say, I picked the perfect hotel and location. The hotel is 5-stars from the reception, to the rooms and amenities, and the location. I booked through booking.com, and I got a great deal for a King Size room on a High Floor. All of the rooms have a view of the Nile. The restaurants were a bit pricey, but this is a 5-star hotel! For breakfast, we had Continental Breakfast for two that came out to $50 US dollars. So, if you want luxury without expensive go out to the many nearby Zamalek restaurants. I highly recommend Abou al Sid which is a 20 E.P. taxi. I would come back here again!

1 Thank lynnfernan926
Dalia_Abulwafa, Marketing & E-Commerce Manager at Sofitel Cairo El Gezirah, responded to this review, 9 February 2010
Dear Sir / Madam

Thank you for your visit to Sofitel Cairo El Gezirah.

We were delighted to have you with us, I conveyed you valuable comments to our staff. All our guests are VIPs, yet when you book online you have the chance to choose between our offers, discounts and free upgrades. We are looking forward to your next visit, and our staff is waiting to make your stay the most memorable one.

Monaco-Ville, Monaco
Reviewed 15 January 2010

Highly recommended if staying in executive level and suite. Normal rooms are a bit basic, comparable to Hiltons. Service is excellent on executive floor, but sometimes untrained staff in lobby or pool area. Spa and fitness club (Technogym Kinesis!) are great. View on pyramids (from high floors) and the nile is fantastic, just as the gastronomy overlooking the Nile (Le Deck) is awesome, easily beating other hotels in town. Free-to-smoke concept is great for cigar lovers. Funnily, only the big open-air pool area is smoking-prohibited. Resort atmosphere due to outside walking along the nile, pool and various restaurants (incl. Buddha Bar). Quite an authentic oriental design atmosphere and good local crowd.

• Stayed January 2010, travelled on business
1 Thank TrophyCollector

Thank you for your visit to Sofitel Cairo El Gezirah.

The way you described our hotel is great, especially when you mentioned the resort ambiance, this is how we always describe our hotel to valuable guests "The calmness of a resort in the heart of the city".

london
Reviewed 2 January 2010

Stayed twice at this hotel, very impressed with the club room, good view, excellent comfortable bed, it is a good value for money. The staff are extremely helpful and professional, the nice touch is a beautiful cake which was delivered to my room.
Thank you for your kindness and hospitality.

• Stayed December 2009, travelled solo
1 Thank wafaajou
Dalia_Abulwafa, Marketing and E- Commerce Manager – Sofitel El Gezirah at Sofitel Cairo El Gezirah, responded to this review, 9 February 2010
Dear Sir / Madam,

Thank you for your visit to Sofitel Cairo El Gezirah.

We were delighted to have you with us, I conveyed you valuable comments to our staff. Our bed is designed with a special concept "MyBed" to make your night as comfortable as it should be, I hope you enjoyed the Executive Club lounge as well during your visit. We are looking forward to your next visit, and our staff is waiting to make your stay the most memorable one.

Marketing and E- Commerce Manager – Sofitel El Gezirah