“Without emotions”

Ranked #96 of 138 Hotels in Cairo
vaglio basilicata
“Without emotions”
Reviewed 24 June 2011

I have been at Concorde hotel for three days from Monday to yesterday.
For sure the hotel is not a *****. It is a 4* for the hall, the number of restaurants, the services.
I could feel very safe in consideration of the security service very accurate.
Breakfast ok, especially for the fresh orange juice.
Very expensive the internet service in the rooms!! But if you just need to download the emails, you can stay around the Testarossa Caffé and use their wifi!!
The price has been a little bit expensive. For that price the breakfast should be included.
I have used the swimming pool area for an hour on Wednesday 22 but then I have left because of so many kids playing and disturbing people that would just relax.
When I will go back to Cairo, I don't think I will stay in the same hotel.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank nummelus

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Woking, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 March 2011

For a Budget Hotel it is ok, but don't expect the staff to clean your bathroom whilst you are there; they never cleaned ours. It was however clean when we arrived, although the fittings are very old it is just functional.
The rooms were clean and had what was needed except it would have been nice to have at least one chair.
We stayed at a time when it was full of refugees from Libya trying to get back to the Philippines. They were very nice people but after they had been down to breakfast there was nothing left for us. The first two mornings we had to ask for things like tea cups, cereal, juice and butter, which were then brought but begrudgingly.
The second morning they brought cups that were dirty and cracked. When I asked one of the staff to change them he "tutted"; which shows there general attitude. The restaurant staff would much rather stand or sit chatting to each other than look after the needs of their guests.
A complaint to the manager soon rectified this; we could hear him shouting at this particular member of staff in the kitchen, after which his attitude did get better.
I would deduce from this that the hotel was not really to blame but it was the staff who were lazy.
The staff at reception in the daytime were very nice and helpful.
If you find yourself staying at this hotel I would most definitely recommend that you do not take the hotel up on their tours but go outside, turn left and visit the Rossetta Perfumes Palace, set back alittle from the footpath. There you will find Mohammed who is a lovely man and can help you with almost anything.
My friend and I went into the shop specifically to ask if Mohammed knew of a driver for our trips that we could trust and he indeed recommended the most trustworthy man, his brother Emad.
(Even though I have lived in Cairo before my friend and I still needed someone who would not charge too much and look after us).
Emad is a wonderful man; he took us wherever we needed to go, waited when necessary and all at an extremely reasonable price. Emad is delightfully honest, easy going, and a pleasure to be with. Both he and Mohammed speak excellent English and understand the needs of the tourist. Emad gave advise that was spot-on for each place we visited. He was always on time and open with suggestions that may be of interest to us. I really cannot stress enough what a sweety Emad really is. We started out with a good reliable driver and ended 4 days later with a friend for life. Thank you Emad and Mohammed we appreciate what you both did for us.

A note about Egypt since the revolution; Please don't be worried about travelling to Egypt or Cairo now. It is still a safe place to travel to and the people have always been the most friendly people in the world. Now they are even happier than they were before the revolution.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled with friends
8 Thank MamaSimba67

Travellers are raving about these Cairo hotels

Hazlet, New Jersey
Reviewed 5 March 2011

About 25 walk to Tahrir Square. Armed security guard on duty 24/7. Concierge was quite pleasent. Staff spoke good english. Check in / checkout was simple. Room was clean. Nice and quite.

• Stayed April 2010, travelled solo
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 27 January 2011

My husband and I stayed in the Concorde for 6 days in January. We expected a standard hotel nothing too plush. The hotel was in a good location 10 minutes walk to the Egyptian museum (although if you ask the staff to direct you anywhere they will try to get you a taxi or organise a tour for you and you don’t really get any help with anything if you refuse either) When we arrived we saw that they gave us 2 single beds which we asked to change for a double they told us they could not do this until the next day which was fine but each day they told us that they would change our room and never did! The staff were generally very unhelpful and surly and they really made our stay at the hotel uncomfortable. As for the cleanliness of the hotel, it left alot to be desired, the sheets smelt of stale smoke, the shower curtain was mouldy and there was a fridge in the room with things growing in it. If you leave a tip for the housekeeping they do make half an effort to tidy your room and leave nice towel designs on your bed!
The only real thing that improved our stay at this shoddy hotel was when we walked outside turned left and a few doors down met Emad at the shop Rosetta. He was helpful without being forceful and gave us information about being in Cairo and advice on things to do and where to eat. The tour prices were very reasonable and much cheaper then at our hotel and he made us feel more relaxed then we felt in our hotel! We went on a tour to Giza and the driver was on time, friendly and had a good level of english. It took all of the hassle out of the day and we could spend as long or as short a time in each place as we wanted - he also showed us a great place to eat on the way home! The tour went so well that we booked another day to do Coptic Cairo and we got a different driver but exactly the same high standards. We didn’t book any further tours at this shop but we did call in once or twice afterwards and always got good tips and a friendly genuine face to speak with - no hassling no pushing - which is a rarity in Cairo
My personal advice would be never stay at this hotel but if you are in Cairo make sure you pay a visit to Emad!

• Stayed January 2011, travelled as a couple
3 Thank caggy999
Cairo
Reviewed 9 January 2011

The hotel is in a great location.. It is close to downtown and other attractions. I was traveling alone, so was sceptical of accomodations and tours. I didn't know who I could trust, however,I was lucky to meet Emad at Rosetta, just down the street. Emad planned a great 7-day trip for me at a VERY good price. He was cheaper than what the hotel tours could offer me. The trip was just wonderful, wonderful, wonderful .I was suprised when the reception people at the hotel asked me to write a bad review for Emad. I think they are jealous and if a bad review occurs about him, you can bet it is NOT from a tourist, but the hotel people.. Too many people I spoke to find hin to be friendly, fair, and reasonably priced and recommends him to other travelers.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled solo
South Orange, NJ
Reviewed 9 January 2011

The main thing about this hotel is how cheap it is. Don't believe that it's filthy, it's really not. Housekeeping cleans very well even when you don't tip and the lobby is always clean. There's an included breakfast buffet that's nothing special but the potatoes are delicious. The free wifi works sometimes, but again, you're not paying for a five star hotel here. Hot water takes a while sometimes but it always works (sometimes too well) and the beds are nothing special but good enough.

Don't believe the people slandering Emad. It's probably just the staff at the hotel trying to make him look bad since he offers all the tour services they do and for generally lower prices. He's a really nice guy even if you're not buying from him and will offer advice for anything from where to eat to how much to pay for things. If you find a price lower than his, he'll just be happy for you for finding a good deal. He and his brother booked us a fairly cheap dinner cruise on the Nile and everything was exactly as advertised, including paid food and transportation. One of the cab drivers they work with, Abdul, is just about the nicest and happiest guy in Cairo; he bought us oranges, bananas, and lunch when he took us to Giza and Saqqara.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled as a couple
Perth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 January 2011

The hotel was relatively clean and tidy. The staff were very nice and also very helpful. There was also free wifi in the room.

Only real problem with the hotel is that it smelt a bit of cigarette smoke - But this isn't unique to this hotel. I stayed in several hotels around egypt and they all had a bit of a smell of cigarette smoke.

Watch out for this guy a couple of doors down named Emad. He will try to trick you into entering his shop by saying he is going to get his business card and then asking you to follow him. He will then try to sell you tours and he will be very persistant. His tours are VERY expensive as I later found out. Not only that, they will try to tell you after paying and organising a tour that entrance fees are not included. There is also no guiding at any of the sites - the driver simply waits in the car. It is much cheaper to organise tours in advance or, with a bit of research on prices, go to a reputable tour company.

There are people like Emad all over egypt... It's important that you learn to ignore them or everywhere you go, you will become engaged in conversation every single block and not get anywhere. Never buy a tour through anyone who approaches you on the street - they are all trying to con you.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled solo
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cairo
King Hotel
Victoria Hotel
Victoria Hotel
#87 of 138 in Cairo
Pharaohs Hotel & Casino

Been to Concord Hotel? Share your experiences!