“Did the job. No frills.”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of Concord Hotel

Concord Hotel
Ranked #93 of 137 Hotels in Cairo
Prague, Czech Republic
“Did the job. No frills.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 April 2010

You cant beat Dokki for the price. The rooms are by no means luxury, but if you're paying $25 a night for a hotel in the middle of Cairo, you arent shopping for luxury. The TV is essentially useless and the beds are small, but the place is clean, safe, and if you tip your cleaning ladies -like you should-, theyll take extra special care of you, even leaving little towel sculptures for you as a thank you.

Its not the Ritz, but it is absolutely adequate.

I did my homework before going, so my experience was overall positive, but Ill reiterate for those of you who are studying up for your trip:

The taxi ride from the hotel should be 75 Egyptian Pounds. (The pound is basically .20 USD, so figure $15.) Make sure the price is set up front, leave the driver a tip, but dont believe their "pregnant wife" or "sick kid" story. *DO NOT PUT YOUR BAG IN THE TRUNK* Its a rookie mistake every new world traveler makes (I learned the hard way in China), and it's basically a blank check for a greedy cab driver. If you cant access your bags, they own you. Ride with your gear.

Do take the time to learn the Egyptian number symbols from the license plates of cars you nearly collide with on the roller coaster ride that is Cairo driving, theyll come in handy later on.

Do not book cabs or tours with the front desk at Dokki, it sounds cheap at the start, but theyll get you before the trip is over, and you arent gonna like how you get got. There is a tour place just outside and to the left of the hotel called Rosetta. Go there and ask for Emad, he is the extremely friendly brother of the two who own the shop. They arent cheap, but they wont rip you off or sneak in hidden charges either, the price will be set upfront and competitive, the guides are friendly and helpful, and the advice is good. Honesty is a rare commodity in a city like Cairo. Be sure and let Emad know you found his place because of his reputation on Tripadvisor, it never hurts to encourage people in their positive actions.

If you want to eat, go left out of the hotel to the road next to the gas station, go left down that road and you will find an Alfa market with good prices and a nice, clean restaurant called Tikka with some quality meat dishes. Neither of these establishments will try to rip you off or pressure sell you, their prices are fixed. If you need to change money, there is a (Hilton?) hotel at the round-about to the left of Dokki with a bank on the ground floor. Youll get a fair rate there.

At the sites, don't let any native Egyptian take your picture unless you are willing to pay for it. Dont let them give you a "gift" unless you are ready to pay for it. Frankly, dont talk to them unless you are ready to pay for it. I personally carry headphones and MP3 player with me and wear them whenever I go out, it helps alot, even if the music isnt actually on.

If your guide takes you to a shop, buy what you want at a price you want. If you dont want it, or you dont like the price, dont be afraid to walk away. They might drop the price, they might not, either way, be ready and willing to say "no". They're salesmen, not your new best pals. You wont ever see them again, and you wont ever see that money again either.

Cairo can be a fun place. Just do your homework beforehand, and dont let your cab drivers pressure you into leaving them a huge tip. Be fair, but be firm.

Note: You cant sleep anywhere in Cairo without the sounds of car horns, just be prepared for it. It never stops. Cairenes use the horn to let other cars know they are passing them or that they are present in the blind spot. They use it every time this is true, so imagine how frequent that is and multiply it by millions.

Well, I hope this helped. Have a good trip.

And Emad, Cheers from Prague, buddy.
-Chavis

• Stayed March 2010, travelled solo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
reading
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 April 2010

this hotel is less then average, i rate it single star but is listed 3 star,
rooms are not very clean and comfortable and not good value for the money ,
its just an average hotel in the price of 3star. i would say a double room stay shouldnot more then £15 per night .

but is better then europa hotel cairo.

• Stayed April 2010, travelled with family

Travellers are raving about these Cairo hotels

dubai
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 March 2010

Never had I had to write a review of a place I visited until Cairo. The hotel itself has a presentable lobby, decently clean rooms, decent service and a decent breakfast. However, as all other reviewers have already done , I'm writing a warning to all future visitors to this ancient city. As a foreigner in Cairo for the first time you are sure to be ripped off. Most Cairenes in the tourism business see a traveller as a fresh piece of meat (to take financial advantage of). Just make a left out of the hotel and find Emad's shop "Rosetta". Emad is one of the "good guys" in this crooked city. A day to the Sakkur, Memphis, and the Great Pyramids cost 200 pounds for me and my friend. This did not include tickets into the different sites.
My journey started at the airport where I was asked if I needed a taxi to my hotel. I wasn't jipped on the price (75 pounds), but the driver did hit on me and did drop me off at the wrong hotel. I had to walk about 15 minutes to the Concorde Hotel. When I got to the hotel, I found out the reservations I made on the internet did not go through, so the front desk asked me to pay 60 US dollars per night instead of 40 and I had to pay IN CASH. I should have went across the street to the Sheraton, but knowing that my friend would be meeting me at this hotel in 3 days, I decided to settle there and deal with my credit card company later if by chance the front desk was lying.
I then made a tour with the front desk to the pyramids. I asked only to go to Dashur, Sakkara, and Memphis since I would see the Great Pyramid area with my friend. Well, I paid 50 US dollars for the day (which cost only 20 with Emad at Rosetta) and was picked up 8:30 am sharp. Well, he took me to the first 3 sites (I was surprised that I had to pay admission and parking for each), but he said that he would take me to the papyrus store and perfume store and then to the Giza Pyramids. At this point, I thought it was strange that he wanted to take me more places than I signed up for, but I thought this was part of Egyptian hospitality. When I realized that the papyrus guy wasn't letting me look at the paintings on my own, but being pushy and hitting on me, I knew this was part of "the tour" to make me spend money. The hotel, the driver, the payrus and perfume shopt and the stables (that's later) are all working together! I didn't buy any papyrus (which is much cheaper at Emad's store by the way) but when I was taken to the perfume store, I did buy some perfume. The man tried to sell me the bigger box but I refused. I think I got a good deal on the perfume though (400 pounds for 4 bottles)...the Khan Khalili bazaar sells cheap versions. The driver told me we would be going to the stables and if I thought it was too expensive we could get something to eat. Well, I think the stable owner was told by my driver that my friend would be coming a few days, so presented a lowered the priced for me. The camel could cost 300 pounds, 340, and 360 for short to longer rides. I paid 300 and the owner asked me why. What does he think, I'm made of money? I told him that I would buy the longer rides when my friend comes. So I went on the camel ride, but my camel guide ( young 20 year old boy) was telling me that there was nothing to see inside the great pyramid and nothing to see inside the sphinx area...that it was closing time anyway. I can't believe they didn't realize how far I've come to see these great monuments. We spent time at a papyrus and perfume store, but I didn't see inside the Great Pyramids because it was closing time?!!!!!! My guide stopped his horse in front of mine and asked for a tip BEFORE the ride was over. How strange! He asked me 100 to 200 pounds, but I only gave him 30. I told him to take it or leave it. I told him that I was not satisfied. He took it. When I got back, I was hit on by another stable guy. I told them I was upset that I wasn't able to get inside the great pyramid. (I found out later it's 60 pounds to be on the grounds, 100 pounds to go inside the great pyramid)
I decided to go to the Pharonic Village...and take my own taxi. By the way, it doesn't matter where you go, you'll be asked to pay 20 pounds...while locals may pay 5 to 10 pounds. The Pharonic Village was almost 200 pounds and I waited 45 minutes for the English speaking tour boat to arrive. However, by that time, I had enough. Even though the staff was telling me that the English boat was ready, I got my money back and I took another taxi to the Museum. The guides outside asked for 150 pounds for a one hour tour, but I decided to look on my own. I next went to a restaurant in my guide book. I asked the waiter what he would recommend, he looked annoyed but carelesslypointed out 2 things. I asked for wine and he looked at me like I did something wrong. At the end, since there was a service charge in the bill, I didn't tip the waiter. The waiter opened the leather case the bill had come in as I was getting up and outrightly said "no tip?" I said it was in the service charge. He told me that that was for the kitchen...but since I didn't like the way he presented the whole situation, I said "no tip" and he cursed me out as I was walking out the door. ( I found out later that the service charge did not go to the waiter but this does not give him the right to curse me out). I went back to the hotel. I didn't feel like a stroll..or having tea somewhere...I know I'd be ripped off, harassed and the city was dirty... I thought about cutting my trip short and going somewhere else...maybe Luxor and Aswan...but knowing my friend was coming the next day, I convinced that I would have a better time with someone, someone to laugh at all this with.
The day my friend was supposed to arrive, I tried to go to the zoo. The doorman at the hotel tried to help me out and told the taxi driver to buy the ticket for me. The doorman said it would be 5 pounds. But the taxi driver bought a ticket for a child (1 pound) and took the rest of the money (14 pounds). I found out too late. By the time I realized the situation, the cab had left. Anyway, the sign at the zoo says 20 pounds for non-Egyptians. So I tried to buy one...they didn't have change for a 100 pound note, so I ended up not going to the zoo that day. By chance, I found a taxi driver who had a great attitude and (that put his meter on) and I was ready to go to Al-Fayoom oasis. He called up his wife and told her that they could go on a trip to visit some garden with some friends. I think I helped in making that happen. We both had a good time. He took me to his neice's place and she painted henna on my arms, back and feet for 150 pounds. Finally I met some good Cairenes. Thanks be to God, my friend was at the hotel by the time I came back that day..,.

• Stayed March 2010, travelled with friends
Leeds
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 March 2010

I went to Cairo to visit the museum, the pyramids and various other historical sites. The Concorde Hotel, Dokki, I stayed in was perfectly adequate for my needs. Cairo is a very dirty city, and considering this the hotel was as clean as can be expected. My sheets and towels were changed daily, and after I gave the cleaners a tip (LE 10 = £1.10) they put even more effort in. My towels were arranged (like serviettes) in the shape of a swan on my bed, or in the shape of a heart; my room was tidied and I was certainly made to feel welcome.
Breakfast was ok with a large selection of foods (cornflakes, toast, white bread rolls, hard boiled eggs, cheese, cheese triangles, cucumber, fruit or fruit salad, sausages, and various other items I didn't taste).
The reception staff speak fluent english, the rest of the staff speak well enough to make yourself understood. Without exception the staff was curteous and friendly. Much has been said elsewhere about the staff trying aggressively to sell tours. That was not my experience. When I booked in the receptionist suggested I go to the pyramids the next day but I replied that I have already made my plans. Nothing further was mentioned by the reception, and no tours were offered.
Note, though, that the hotel is on a main road. Traffic in Cairo is not like traffic I have seen anywhere else. The streets are BUSY, even throughout the night. There is never a quiet time. Drivers in Cairo have the habit of beeping their horns, pretty much constantly. There really was not a second in which not one or two drivers used their horns, day or night. I had asked for a quiet room and was given one at the side of the building. Even then it was pretty noisy and there was no way I could sleep with open windows. Because my room was at the side of the building the view I got was of a wall of the house next door. But I didn't come for the view and so didn't mind.
There was a TV in my room with very poor reception on channel 2, the only channel that showed some english broadcasts interspersed with egyptian programmes. I watched The Matrix, Lord of the Rings, and various other programmes. But as I said, reception is poor.
One word again about possible tours. I had read many reviews on this hotel and often Rosetta Stone next door to the hotel was mentioned, and in particular Emad and his brother, who have a shop there and arrange tours. Following the advice of other travellers I went to them on arrival and booked a couple of tours with them (Giza, Sakkara, Memphis and Dashur). The first tour was offered at a good price of LE200 for a trip that took me 7 hours (the driver waited while I visited the sites). However, the driver also took me to the papyrus museum (I only bought a blank papyrus rather than painted ones) and then suggested a restaurant for lunch. He sat at a table on the other end of the place and made the mistake of not asking for the price of the meals beforehand. I had offered to buy his lunch and was then presented with a bill for LE200 - considering that the meal at my hotel cost me LE22 it was clear that I was being taken in. I believe that my driver will have gotten his share of that, as he was quite insisting to go to this restaurant rather than anywhere else. The meal or the restaurant was not worth a quarter of what I have paid.
I did eat at my hotel three meals, all were tasty and well presented. Outside the hotel I was wary of eating anything that was offered. The food hygiene is not what I am used to and I basically eat only things that I needed to unwrap (like bananas, oranges, biscuits, eggs, but I also bought some bread from the nearby bakery).
All in all, I did not like Cairo as a town - too dirty, too noisy. But the Concorde Hotel was fine and I felt comfortable there. The bed was hard but I got used to it quickly. Considering the price it was perfectly adequate for my needs.

• Stayed February 2010, travelled solo
Review collected in partnership with OctopusTravel

Sunnyvale,California Usa
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 February 2010

I stayed at the Concorde Hotel Dokki in Cairo for nine nights. The hotel is quite dated and in need of a renovation. My room was spacious and clean. The bed was comfortable. The bathroom was alright but the shower water pressure was not the best and at times a little more than a trickle. Surprisingly there was plenty of hot water. The breakfast buffet was good...frankfurters, potatoes, boiled eggs, beans, bread etc. The reception was friendly...but beware...and DO NOT book your tours with them. When I checked into the hotel...they immediately insisted I take a Pyramids tour the next day. They set me up with cab and driver for 150 Egyptian pounds for the day (about $27 USD). They didn't tell me that a camel ride around the Giza pyramids was going to cost me $110 USD!! The driver took me to Marbat stables and the two hour camel ride with guide cost me $110 USD + $40 tip demanded by my camel guide. I spent $150 USD for a two hour camel ride when an Australian told me that he only paid about $10 USD per an hour for his camel ride. I really felt ripped off after hearing that from the Australian. My hotel taxi driver made quite a commission on me. Also, the driver and hotel had promised that I was also going to Saqqara and Memphis. Yes, the driver did take me to Saqqara but didn't take me to Memphis because he said it would be a waste of time. Instead, he took the time and took me to a Papyrus shop and I ended up buying Papyrus that I really did not want or need for $85 USD. I also had to pay entry and taxi parking for Saqqara. That one day with the hotel taxi ended costing me close to $300 USD!! So whatever you do...please do not book your tours with the hotel. Instead, go to "Rosetta Papyrus" and they will help you plan your tours for a much better price than the hotel. "Emad" at Rosetta Papyrus is very friendly and helpful. He will try his best to get you a good price for taxis and tours. He speaks very good English and he treats you like family. Rosetta Papyrus is to the left as you exit the hotel. Also, the metro is close by and will only cost you only 1 Egyptian pound or less than 20 cents a ride. To the right of the hotel is the Dokki metro stop and to the left is the Opera metro stop. Both metro stops will take about 5 to 10 minutes walk. If you are a single female...take the female only cars of the subway. That way you won't get gawked at or sexually harrassed by the male passengers. Again, do not take the hotel taxis especially to the airport. After my nine night stay, the usual 80 Egyptian pounds ride to the airport ended up costing me 200 Egyptian pounds! The hotel taxi driver (Hazmat??) had told me that I needed to pay him not 80 Egyptian pounds when I got to the airport but he demanded 100 Egyptian pounds. He also insisted that I had to pay another 100 Egyptian pounds "for the hotel." I was outraged and asked him why. He got very angry and demanded that I give him the 200 Egyptian pounds (about $37 USD) or he would not give me my luggage from the trunk. of his taxi. The taxi ride to and from the hotel to airport should not cost more than 80 Egyptian pounds or about $15 USD!! So, if you want a clean and inexpensive hotel to stay in Cairo, Egypt...I do recommend the Concorde Hotel but DO NOT recommend the use of their hotel taxis or tours. Again...go to Rosetta Papyrus and speak to EMAD instead. Also, nearby the hotel is an excellent supermarket...Alfa Market. They have pretty much everything you need there and their prices are quite reasonable. The Alfa Market is to the left of the hotel exit and to the left of the gas station. Next to the Alfa Market is a great kebab type restaurant...Tikka Chicken. And at last, I just want to say that the Concorde Hotel staff, especially the bell hops and security are very polite and friendly. I felt safe staying at the Concorde Hotel and the Sheraton Cairo Hotel is close by....just across the street. The Sheraton Hotel has several banks in the hotel to make currency exchange with great rates.

• Stayed January 2010, travelled solo
2 Thank KimmieRN
Kochi (Cochin), India
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 February 2010

This is a farely good budget hotel at the Tahrir Road. Reception staffs are really helpful. Clean rooms and bathroom with fresh linen. Only negative point is that the flow of shower water is inadaquate and very limited TV channels and most of them are not clear.

Free breakfast is provided, there are pently of items, they will prepare the egg on our choice.

Hotel location is good, accessable to major attractions in cairo. Reception staff can arrange city/Giza tour and Nile Dinner Cruise with good price.

This hotel is a very sale place as there is always a police vehicle parked in front of the hotel.

• Stayed January 2010, travelled with friends
london
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 January 2010

My friend and I are two women traveling alone in Egypt. We were met with some intense experiences and were a bit intimidated the first night as we drove up to the Concorde. The hotel is satisfactory or a bit under in terms of accommodation. I would lean on 2.5 stars rather than 3, however, it is important to note that the shower and breakfast were satisfactory. The best part of our stay was by far stumbling upon a friendly Cairene, Emad. He has an office at the Rosetta, right around the corner from the Hotel. If you walk out and turn left he is a few feet away. He treated us like friends and was honest from the very start. He set up amazing tours and private car hires for excellent prices. He accommodated our needs and requests immediately, efficiently, and to our highest satisfaction. It is always good to find someone you can trust in another city, especially from our experiences, in Cairo. Emad is a wonderful help and made the difference in recommending this hotel.

• Stayed January 2010, travelled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cairo
King Hotel
#75 of 137 in Cairo
City View Hotel
City View Hotel
#22 of 137 in Cairo

Been to Concord Hotel? Share your experiences!