“Did lots of sightseeing, so wasn't in the room much, but was satisfactory.”
Review of Concord Hotel

Concord Hotel
Ranked #74 of 138 Hotels in Cairo
Reviewed 9 January 2011

The hotel is in a great location.. It is close to downtown and other attractions. I was traveling alone, so was sceptical of accomodations and tours. I didn't know who I could trust, however,I was lucky to meet Emad at Rosetta, just down the street. Emad planned a great 7-day trip for me at a VERY good price. He was cheaper than what the hotel tours could offer me. The trip was just wonderful, wonderful, wonderful .I was suprised when the reception people at the hotel asked me to write a bad review for Emad. I think they are jealous and if a bad review occurs about him, you can bet it is NOT from a tourist, but the hotel people.. Too many people I spoke to find hin to be friendly, fair, and reasonably priced and recommends him to other travelers.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled solo

Reviewed 9 January 2011

The main thing about this hotel is how cheap it is. Don't believe that it's filthy, it's really not. Housekeeping cleans very well even when you don't tip and the lobby is always clean. There's an included breakfast buffet that's nothing special but the potatoes are delicious. The free wifi works sometimes, but again, you're not paying for a five star hotel here. Hot water takes a while sometimes but it always works (sometimes too well) and the beds are nothing special but good enough.

Don't believe the people slandering Emad. It's probably just the staff at the hotel trying to make him look bad since he offers all the tour services they do and for generally lower prices. He's a really nice guy even if you're not buying from him and will offer advice for anything from where to eat to how much to pay for things. If you find a price lower than his, he'll just be happy for you for finding a good deal. He and his brother booked us a fairly cheap dinner cruise on the Nile and everything was exactly as advertised, including paid food and transportation. One of the cab drivers they work with, Abdul, is just about the nicest and happiest guy in Cairo; he bought us oranges, bananas, and lunch when he took us to Giza and Saqqara.

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 4 January 2011

The hotel was relatively clean and tidy. The staff were very nice and also very helpful. There was also free wifi in the room.

Only real problem with the hotel is that it smelt a bit of cigarette smoke - But this isn't unique to this hotel. I stayed in several hotels around egypt and they all had a bit of a smell of cigarette smoke.

Watch out for this guy a couple of doors down named Emad. He will try to trick you into entering his shop by saying he is going to get his business card and then asking you to follow him. He will then try to sell you tours and he will be very persistant. His tours are VERY expensive as I later found out. Not only that, they will try to tell you after paying and organising a tour that entrance fees are not included. There is also no guiding at any of the sites - the driver simply waits in the car. It is much cheaper to organise tours in advance or, with a bit of research on prices, go to a reputable tour company.

There are people like Emad all over egypt... It's important that you learn to ignore them or everywhere you go, you will become engaged in conversation every single block and not get anywhere. Never buy a tour through anyone who approaches you on the street - they are all trying to con you.

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled solo
Reviewed 18 December 2010

My wife and i stayed for 5 days in this hotel. it was the first time for my wife to visit Cairo, i've been several tims to Cairo and stayed in diverend districts of this big city.
The hotel is basic but for our purpose (between the people and real live of Cairo) the perfect place to do the things we wanted to do. The breakfast was good and the staff friendly. If you want to make a few trips to the city's highlights like the pyriamids, sfinxs, etc we advise you to go to our friend Emad. When you walk out of the hotel and take a left turn you will find after 50 m the shop of Emad. He is a very friendly person and helps you for resonable prices te get a good car and driver ! He and his family are respectable people and will always try to help you to make your stay in Cairo super !

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 2 December 2010

I stayed here for 5 nights and I must say , this is a crappy hotel ! I guess you get what you pay for, I booked a $35 per night deal. Hotel's location was in a dirty crowded Cairo street. Room looked like it was the inside of a mud hut. The bathroom was leaking water. The television was so tiny that it gave me a headache to watch it. The staff were too focused on trying to profit from me by offering me tours and other junk instead of asking how my stay was. I would never stay here, even if they gave me $1 per night offer.

• Stayed: January 2010, travelled on business
Reviewed 14 November 2010

We stayed there in March for 5 nights totally (4 and 1). The hotel itself is so-so. The room was not cleaned properly (they usually washed only the center of the room), the tubs were leaking, and the breakfast was poor. The internet connection in the rooms (though promised) did not work, but there was a computer for joint use on the first floor.
However, the staff’s work was wonderful! They assisted us to book a Nile cruise for a very good price (190 usd per person for 3-nights tour, all inclusive), arranged tours in Cairo and when we wanted to book a room at their hotel for 1 night more advised us to do it via internet, since the web rates were lower. The last should be really appreciated! They helped us to spend less!
And all the time they were polite and with a good sense of humor.

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled with friends
Reviewed 1 October 2010

I stayed there in Sept., not by choice but business mandate. Tried 2 seperate rooms, as on first night they were 'over-booked'. Both rooms in dire need of major detailing and upgrading. First room had a broken chair, ripped couch and barely working tiny b/w TV. When I tried to charge my laptop, sparks were flying out of the AC socket upon connection.
Second room was slightly better; tiny color tv that worked, no sparks, etc... However, in shower, the cold water provided only a trickle while hot water was at boiling. The shower knob fell off, and the shower head hose was too short to be able to hang properly on its hook. The window curtain track could only cover center half of the window. Surprisingly after leaving a tip for the maid, they added another track the very next day so then I was finally able to completely block out the outside and have some privacy at night.
Both room's carpets had years of wear as did everything else in the room. Basically I tried not to touch anything I did not have too and sanitized the objects that I did (yes, as a frequent traveller I always carry wipes).
On upside; hotel staff was very nice and pleasant. Restaurant food was OK, although am fairly confident that the bellboy was also my cook. Hotel bar had minimal supplies, but no surprise here, since it is a muslim country; just good luck trying to find someone to tend you. Free breakfast buffet.
Ultimately, hope to never have to stay there again and you get what you pay for.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled on business