“Fantastic hotel - don't hesitate to stay here!”

Four Seasons Hotel Cairo at Nile Plaza
Ranked #1 of 144 Hotels in Cairo
Reviewed 26 May 2009

This is without doubt a fantastic hotel. …everything including the rooms, food, service and facilities is first class.
We stayed here for two nights during a whistle-stop tour of Egypt and couldn’t have been more pleased. Admittedly, we paid extra for a Nile view room but I’m sure that all of the rooms are equally well appointed. Unusually for us, we ate in the hotel, and although it’s not cheap, the quality of the food and service was way beyond our expectations.
Our room had a bedroom, sitting area, two TV’s, sofa, desk and chairs, really big bath / shower room and loads of cupboard space. A view over the Nile topped it off nicely.
Although we had a fantastic stay and did the usual tourist sightseeing (highly recommend the pyramids, obviously), we found Cairo a little daunting. This is the only place in the world that we’ve been to that we didn’t feel comfortable walking out and doing our own thing – not that it feels unsafe, it’s just so vague. Maps are wrong or non-existent, there doesn’t appear to be a city centre, and everything is just so congested, hot and frantic that we ended up hiring a guide and a car (very cheap – probably the best way to get around). We were told that Cairo has 27 million people (excluding the unregistered): I can’t verify this but it’s an enormously populated city crammed into a reasonably small space.
One thing that got me about Egypt in general is that unless there’s money involved, nobody wants to know. This is probably a bit contentious but from what I could see of all the historical sites in Cairo and Luxor, they’re only maintained because they generate cash. Everyone holds out their hands for tips – even in places where a service charge is included. People demand money for using the toilet (just don’t pay unless it’s an official pay on entry facility), and they’re mostly just scammers watching for tourists….just say no. I was even asked for money by one of the tourist police at the pyramids for taking a picture – so just imagine how much help they’d be if you found yourself at odds with a trader! Noting is priced and having to negotiate every single thing gets a bit tiring as you know you’ve probably been done over….
Don’t let it put you off though – it’s a great place to visit, just be aware that you will get hassled and be prepared to ignore it. Funny thing is, if they didn't hassle people so much they'd probably sell more but I guess they don't understand other Country's culture too well. The other thing is the so called “Egyptian time”….complete rubbish. It’s not a quaint cultural thing at all, it’s just bad service. This hotel can deliver good service, so I don’t see why other places can’t as well. Do what you’d do anywhere else and walk – the service soon gets better.
As others have said, alcohol in the hotel is expensive, but it is everywhere. I don’t think the ratio between the hotel and the shops is that far away from that in the UK, but wine seems to be a novelty here. It's worth noting that none of the staff in the hotel asked for tips, or even hung around expectantly. In my book, these are the people that you DO tip!
We’d definitely go back to this hotel again if we were in Egypt.

1  Thank hotelscout
Write a ReviewReviews (1,171)

Reviewed 23 May 2009

I went there four time so far and every time i fel in love with it again and again
I always chose the nile view room and once they up greaded me to the priemer nile room
the nile view room is large beautiful room .The priemer a bit bigger but without terass
I spend a great time once in junemonce in Desember ,and twice in march and all was great.
I lke the feeling weaking up in the morning having cofee in the loby listening to shahenda the Egyptan girl playing her lovely musice in the piano.
I really love it and can`t wait to go the fifth time.

• Stayed: March 2009, travelled with family
1  Thank AmnaKuwait
Reviewed 19 May 2009

The reviews are right. The Four Seasons Nile Plaza is a superb property in an otherwise frenetic city. Rooms are excellent and impeccably serviced. We had a spacious Premier Nile room with a view over the river. The staff throughout this place are absolutely superb, from the poolside waiters to the bar staff and front desk personnel. Concierges could be little better, but that's only a small point. Both of the restaurants we tried (Steaks & Bella) were of the highest quality. But one tip. If you fancy an evening dinner cruise on the Nile, as we did, be very careful. Our trip resulted in a severe bout of food poisoning for both my wife and I.....an unpleasant gift to return home from Egypt with. Get out and explore, the people are great, but stay in the Four Seasons to eat and drink!

Stayed: May 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 18 May 2009

I staid there for 2 nights end of April and enjoyed it even more than the first time. Therefore this is going to be a short review. Of course, great food, very nice spacious rooms and good location, but the greatest asset is the staff which actually would deserve 6 stars. I wen the first night to the lobby bar and the waiter recognized me again after 4 months and remembered my last order.

GREAT !

PS: But they should not charge for the WLAN......

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled on business
Reviewed 16 May 2009

What is there to say about The Four Seasons chain of hotels that has not already been said?

This is one of the great hotels and in my opinion the best in Cairo by some way.

To find fault would be churlish because everything, during my 2 day stay, was perfect and couldn't have been better, except for them losing, for a while, my laundry ! It turned up in the end though.

Staff service is not high on the list of priorities in Egyptian Hotels but this hotel is the exception - serice is up to Far Eastern standards (the best standards in the world).

Its expensive, yes, but this sort of quality doesn't come cheap - what I don't know is why every hotel chain doesn't take a look at Four Seasons to find out how hotels should be run.

Reviewed 12 May 2009

Outstanding, but did you really expect anything else? Beautiful rooms with comfortable beds, lots of great restaurants to choose from and a nice haven from the busy streets of Cairo. You get what you pay for!

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled on business
1  Thank travellingcpl
Reviewed 11 May 2009

This is a nice property in the Garden City area of Cairo -- next to the Nile and very close to the Egyptian Museum. The style of the hotel is very "typical" modern 5 star (nothing distinctive but no faults). The non "Nile View" rooms have a great view of the city and The Citadel.

Staff are excellent in most parts of the hotel; however, we did have some issues with the staff at the pool -- service was inconsistent and they were not very flexible / customer service oriented. I suspect that they aren't as well trained and that since the pool isn't a focus area of the property that management hasn't emphasized this. Room service deliveries were also late.

1  Thank Japan_Gaijin