“Good location, but rooms tiny”
Review of Grand Nile Tower

Grand Nile Tower
Ranked #48 of 137 Hotels in Cairo
bahrain
“Good location, but rooms tiny”
Reviewed 19 October 2007

We had three nights here at the end of March. It's a huge hotel, very busy with both business and tourist traffic.
We upgraded to the Club rooms. The room was tiny compared to other club rooms we've stayed at. we had our 9yr old in a fold-up bed, and by the time this was laid out, there wasn't enough room to swing a cat in there. We were on the 36th floor, which can be a little daunting when you look out over balcony, but it gave a great, though hazy view right across to the pyramids at Giza.
The Club Lounge was quiet and relaxing, the food available wasn't as diverse as other hotels. The downside was that people were smoking constantly as we were having breakfast, there was no separately designated smoking area.
The pool area was nice and clean, though somewhat exposed to the wind and at the end of March the pool was freezing for two of the three days we were there.
The gym was a great disappoinment, very little effective machinery and tiny in comparison to others.
The hotel lobby is enormous and very nicely laid out with glass views of the Nile. The choice of restaurants available is wide and there's a Hard Rock Cafe right next door. There's also a direct connection to the shopping mall and cinema next door.
Overall, it's a good hotel if you don't want to spend any time in the room, but then if you're in Cairo, why would you want to?

• Liked — Location, choice of restaurants
  • Disliked — Small rooms, noise, pool, gym
  • Stayed March 2007, travelled with family
2 Thank carrington

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (57)
  • Arabic first
  • Greek first
  • Turkish first
Texas
Reviewed 11 October 2007

I visited the Grand Hyatt in Cairo for five days at the end of September 07 and found it to be very nice! The exterior was very impressive as it set literally on the river Nile..The room was larger than expected and clean daily with a beautiful view of the nile from the 25th floor. i recommend eating the buffet breakfast and the dinner cruise on the Nile on Hyatt's yacht. I also recommend the meet and greet package at the airport as it could save time in the long lines. The staff's below average service did not take away the great time that I had at the Grand Hyatt.

Chicago
Reviewed 15 September 2007

The Grand Hyatt Cairo is on a small "island" on the banks of the Nile, next door to the Four Seasons. It is centrally located in Cairo, but whether it is convenient or not is impossible to say; it all depends on where you want to go.

The hotel rooms are very nice and absolutely on par with a Grand Hyatt anywhere in the world: comfortable, nicely appointed, clean. If you are a westerner and want to be in comfortable, familiar surroundings, then this is the perfect hotel for you. Other than the metal detector that you have to walk through before you enter the lobby, you wouldn't know that your hotel is smack in the middle of the teeming ocean of humanity that is Cairo.

The rooms are very nice- bathrooms are impeccable. The maid service was discreet and quick. Front desk folks were reasonably friendly and organized. The pool is very nice. There are a number of restaurants on site, so you don't have to worry about the water or raw vegetables (if you have a sensitive stomach). The restaurant on the 40th floor rotates and is widely renown for having the most spectacular view of Cairo; I have to agree.

Most if not all of the rooms have views of the Nile. We had views looking over the nile and the pool- we could even see the Great Pyramid in the distance.

Summary- highly recommended as a comfortable, familiar, safe hotel in the middle of an unbelievably crowded and busy city.

• Stayed September 2007, travelled with friends
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
7 Thank Ex-LA
Corfu, Greece
Reviewed 6 August 2007

As other readers’ reviews were invaluable to me when I was making my choice of where to stay in Cairo I felt that I just had to share my wonderful experience at the Grand Hyatt Cairo with future travellers. I was a little anxious beforehand because of mixed reviews I had read but I was more than pleasantly surprised both by the hotel itself and its staff.
We had booked the hotel’s meet and assist option and were really glad we had done so. I don’t know how we could have done it on our own. In less than five minutes we had our luggage collected, visas issued and money changed into Egyptian pounds to pay for it, followed by a pleasant drive in a comfortable air conditioned car to the hotel. Definitely money well spent.
Some reviews mention a problem with check-in for the club rooms. I can only say that this process must have been changed since our check –in was most efficient. The only minimal snag was that after showing our confirmation slip at the reception desk we were directed to the normal check in where we were told a few minutes later that we had to check in at the club desk on the 30th floor. This was no problem whatsoever as there are separate lifts to this floor which we could use without any need for assistance. Once there, we simply handed over our confirmation and passports and were escorted into the club lounge for complimentary refreshments and an amazing view of the Nile until our room was allocated some ten minutes later. It was a perfect start to a perfect holiday. Our luggage, after having been security scanned both by sniffer dogs and scanners, had been checked in at the hotel entrance when we arrived and promptly arrived at our room.
The room itself was not all that big for the price we were paying but it was spotlessly clean which for me was one of the most important factors in choosing this hotel. The furniture was in no way shabby as some reviewers have stated. The bathroom although small was tastefully decorated in black and white marble. Our room was made up and towels changed twice daily so I give it full marks for cleanliness. The balcony although smallish had the most incredible view both of the Nile and the beautiful swimming pool below so I guess we were very lucky. The members of staff everywhere in the hotel were extremely polite and helpful and never once gave us the impression that they were expecting tips – although I had read that we would be expected to tip for everything.
The club lounge was a peaceful haven after a day out in hectic Cairo, with several tables overlooking the Nile. Internet access here was “free” for club members and we never had any trouble with connections. Although at the prices we paid for our room it’s a little misleading to talk about “complimentary” refreshments it really was pleasant to sit and relax here while enjoying a cup of coffee and the wonderful view. I had read that the lounge is very smoky. However, there were “No smoking” restrictions enforced during the day and even during the “complimentary “buffet in the evenings smoke was never a problem. The buffet itself was excellent with fresh salmon, sushi, cheese board and many other delights.
I agree with most of the other reviews that the buffet breakfast in the Fontana Restaurant is excellent. There was a wide selection of both oriental and western food in abundance with countless waiters in attendance as well as chefs willing to cook up pancakes or scrambled eggs etc.
The pool was fantastic with attendants ready to escort you to the sunbed of your choice and patiently lay out towels for you. The poolside food was a little expensive but good quality with large portions .The surroundings were so beautiful that we didn’t mind paying a little extra for the luxury.
As for dining, we ate twice at the Indian restaurant where food and service were excellent. I wouldn’t consider it expensive as compared to a restaurant in this class of hotel in Europe but I guess by Egyptian standards it was. The local Egyptian Cabernet was fine and reasonably priced too. One thing to watch out for though is that there is 12% tax added to everything and then another12% service charge so the final bill is considerably higher than the menu prices give the impression of. We also tried the Italian restaurant where prices were similar but the food just average. On our final evening we decided to try the French menu at the revolving restaurant. The atmosphere was very romantic with subdued lighting and the view just out of this world. However, the waiters were nowhere as friendly as at the Indian restaurant .The food was tasty but portions were very small. It was an enjoyable although quite expensive meal but next morning both my husband and I were experiencing vomiting and the runs. This could just have been an unfortunate coincidence and luckily it didn’t spoil our stay as we were leaving that morning. As I say, it could have been a coincidence but had we been staying longer I wouldn’t have risked eating there again.
We went on a couple of the tours arranged by the hotel which were excellent. Our guide spoke perfect English and was so friendly that he soon felt like an old friend. His knowledge of the sights was excellent and when we mentioned that we wanted to go on a camel ride at the pyramids he arranged this for us as his present. It was such a nice gesture which we really appreciated and , of course, we gave him a big tip at the end of the day . He would have got his tip at the end of the day in any case but it was so much nicer this way! Prices for the tour depended on whether it was half day or full day and how many people there were in the party. It really was a treat to have our own personal guide just for the two of us and well worth the price as we travelled in an air conditioned brand new mini-van and immediately had access to the sights as soon as our guide produced a small tip! Also we had no problems with beggars or people hassling us to buy things as our guide quickly got rid of them. We could have arranged to see the sights on our own but I’m glad we made this choice.
Would I stay at the Grand Hyatt again? Definitely! It was a perfect base for a perfect holiday in Cairo. I hope you get the chance to enjoy it too.

• Liked — everything
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed July 2007, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
21 Thank CathyGreece